Which Mp3 Player To Buy? Mini Or Sony?

loz_the_guru

i cant think of a good custom member title. Sugges
Website
Visit site
Okay, Im now at a dilemma. Do I get an iPod mini (one of the new 6gb 18hour ones), or get the sony 20gb Hd1/3. BTW im not bothered about the ATRAC thing on the HD1, id use it anyone to keep file sizes low. The benefit of the mini is of course the clickwheel, which is a pleasure to use. So what do you guys think? Main thing im after is battery life and size.

when was this new mini ipod released?? i never heard about it,., have you considered a zen micro,, they are small with 5gb and a decent batt life,, and a touch scroll thing(obvious ipod rip) but the advantage of a FM radio

my dad currently has a HD1 and i must say its awesome.

i'm a rio karma user and thus far the sony has been the only player that i have considered purchasing if the karma ever packs up.

the HD3 is truly tiny, awesome battery life and supports mp3 natively.

and on the subject of ATRAC, ATRAC3 really does sound very very good for normal people listening at as low at 64kbps, if you're going to be ultra anal about sound quality then its not for you but to my untrained ears it sounds sweet.

I was never taken in by the ipod hype, My mate has a 20gb ipod and thinks its great, But he never stops complaining about the poor battery life.

After a lot of searching and compareing i ended up getting one of these.

http://www.mp3players.co.uk/site/uk/hdd100.html

Great little player, 5gb, Fm radio, Direct mp3 encoding via radio mic or 3.5 mm jack. Plus it has a handy feature of a card bumping facility via a SD/MMC slot at the bottom of the player. 10 user configurable 5 band EQ settings plus the usual rock, pop, classical etc settings.

Btw: i`m not a sale`s man. :p

EDIT: If i am, I`m One that can`t spell. :rolleyes: ^ It`s suppose to be card dumping not bumping. :p

Trooper

trooper posted on Feb 23 2005 at 09:16 PM said:
I was never taken in by the ipod hype, My mate has a 20gb ipod and thinks its great, But he never stops complaining about the poor battery life.

Great little player, 5gb, Fm radio, Direct mp3 encoding via radio mic or 3.5 mm jack. Plus it has a handy feature of a card bumping facility via a SD/MMC slot at the bottom of the player. 10 user configurable 5 band EQ settings plus the usual rock, pop, classical etc settings.

Trooper

Ipods are crap, you are essentially paying swollen prices for the 'apple' name, the sony is great btw and its super slim. the ipod has crap earphones as well and your 80% more likely to get your mini nicked than the sony.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you've got around 200 then consider an iRiver. Quality build, good battery life, decent remote and direct recording as well!

:blink: iPod is shit in comparison

Hmm... I have an older iPod (G3) and it's the best thing I ever got.
I have the 14 Gig one.

Have two docking stations (at home and at work) and all my eMails are on it (no, I can't look at them with the iPod, but I have my eMails at home and at work :))

I have a docking station in my car, so I can listen MP3s with it while driving.

My battery lasts about 8-10 hours, that should be enough for most users.

And I don't know how the Sony handles it:
But the iPod loads a few MP3 into memory and stops the harddrive until it needs to load the next MP3s. Saves battery life AND iPod-Life - just drop an MP3 player while the drive is spinning and it most likely'll get a head crash.

Headphones: We compared them with other ear-plug headphones. The only ones which have the same good sound are the ones 50$+
So it's not that bad...

As said, I have no idea about the iPod Minis - just the regular iPod (which is mini enough for me ;))
But AFAIK they changed at least the headphones ;)

i have a mini here, i have to say that the sound quality is realy good never seen (heard) any mp3 player with nearly the same quality, its a realy good full sound, well that might be the good headphones, and the battery live is also enugh for loneger trips.

Nova posted on Feb 23 2005 at 09:23 PM said:
trooper posted on Feb 23 2005 at 09:16 PM said:

Great little player, 5gb, Fm radio, Direct mp3 encoding via radio mic or 3.5 mm jack. Plus it has a handy feature of a card bumping facility via a SD/MMC slot at the bottom of the player.  10 user configurable 5 band EQ settings plus the usual rock, pop, classical etc settings.

Trooper

Ipods are crap, you are essentially paying swollen prices for the 'apple' name, the sony is great btw and its super slim. the ipod has crap earphones as well and your 80% more likely to get your mini nicked than the sony.

Hmmm. Even if you are paying inflated prices for the name, that definitey doesn't make them crap. In fact, I'd heartily disagree. They're damn good. The quality is great. And where did you get those statistics from :p

At least if you're gonna give a view, then justify it with some backup.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think what he mean by getting it nicked it everyone knows whitehead phones usually lead to a ipod but black may lead to a crappy cassette player. as for the price they arent that inflated anymore,, apple.co.uk has decnt prices i would still prefer a zen micro though:p

@trooper

for an extra fifty quid you could have got this

I have one and the quality is easily comparible with an iPod (I've tested them side by side, and I can't tell any diference)

Back