Which Firmware Is Champion?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
With the last few months being crazy, I've been selective.. watch the front page and forums for certain threads, but ignored others. Time is tight :)

I'm still on firmware 2.0.0 which seems pretty stable, yet lacks a few fixes and port options and such in the menus. Works fine for me though.

Which is the recommended one? Which version are the other devs using, for maximum overal compatiblity with everyone else yet ease of TCP etc.

(Short of rolling your own kernel/open2x etc.. I try to stay as 'normal' as possible for maximum compat with everyone else :)

GP went under; GPH is still doing fine, right?

Normally I'd know this, but when you get 2-4 hours sleep every night for 2 months, you start to forget things :)

jeff

2.1.1 is the best. Everything is now stable in it. It has a few extra things over 2.0. 3.0 only ruins things like your boot time and stops you from making custom skins.

Yep 2.1.1 is the best :)

Edit: And yes GP went bankrupt unfortunately, but GPH is still in business :)

I have no problems with FW2.1.1. I don't think there is a compelling reason to go to FW3.0 if it's just cosmetic. I tried the skin out running under 2.1.1 but I found it very slow.

slaanesh said:
I have no problems with FW2.1.1. I don't think there is a compelling reason to go to FW3.0 if it's just cosmetic. I tried the skin out running under 2.1.1 but I found it very slow.
Okee, so 2.1.1 is still the norm rather than 3 (good :)

I know this info is in other threads, but I'm a deadbeat now :)

To go from 2.0 to 2.1.1..

o On the file archive is the korean downoads; anything to worry about?
o 2.0 -> 2.1.0 -> 2.1.1, or can you go direct?

o same old.. reboot with certain files present, then run the util pack to update the nvfs?

I'll take a looksie.. want my latest game to work for most people, so would like ot test it. (Sure, I am up to 3-5 am each day and the get up for work at 7-9am, but Ican still get some code in there; probbaly the worst code in my wlife, but what can you do :)

caffeine ftw!

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
2.0.0->2.1.1 works great, the download on the archive is the one you want.

I just downgraded my new GP2x to 2.1.1. I see no difference in boot times from 3.0. Instead of one splash screen for 15 seconds, now I see two splash screens for a combined 15 seconds. I just got the thing so I don't really know what the major differences are, but I certainly don't see the boot time thing.

Lukin said:
I just downgraded my new GP2x to 2.1.1. I see no difference in boot times from 3.0. Instead of one splash screen for 15 seconds, now I see two splash screens for a combined 15 seconds. I just got the thing so I don't really know what the major differences are, but I certainly don't see the boot time thing.
There's a 2 or 3 second difference, if I recall. Load times should not INCREASE when you upgrade...

2.1.1 is the one to use. ;)

2.1.1 have some little SD card access speed up and is realy stable

My new Value Pack came with version 3.0

Yesterday I downgraded to 2.0 and up to 2.1.1

I highly recommend 2.1.1. Many people seem to be reporting that version 3.0 is broken with black lines surrounding the icons but in the Value Pack is was fine. There is a significant amount of boot time difference. 2.1.1 is much, much shorter. Not just 2-3 seconds. Quite a few more. Although the default skin is uglier, navigating through the menus is much easier because in 3.0 whenever you select something on the menu you have to wait about 2-3 seconds before it takes you to that section. In 2.1.1 it's instant.

I'd say stick with 2.1.1 or 2.1.2 (if u can somehow download it from the korean site, and if you do, put it into the archive for the rest of us ;) ). But keep away from 3.0.0 as it offers nothing worth having over 2.1.1 and its boot time is slower than a c64 game loading :p and it would seem many people have trouble with accessing their SD cards with 3.0 too.

But at the end of the day it's up to you what you use. :)

Yorper said:
I'd say stick with 2.1.1 or 2.1.2 (if u can somehow download it from the korean site, and if you do, put it into the archive for the rest of us ;) ). But keep away from 3.0.0 as it offers nothing worth having over 2.1.1 and its boot time is slower than a c64 game loading :p and it would seem many people have trouble with accessing their SD cards with 3.0 too.

But at the end of the day it's up to you what you use. :)
I think that 2.1.2 is the same as 3.0. Just a different name for it. Im not positive about that though.

UnholyTancred said:
My new Value Pack came with version 3.0

Yesterday I downgraded to 2.0 and up to 2.1.1

I highly recommend 2.1.1. Many people seem to be reporting that version 3.0 is broken with black lines surrounding the icons but in the Value Pack is was fine. There is a significant amount of boot time difference. 2.1.1 is much, much shorter. Not just 2-3 seconds. Quite a few more. Although the default skin is uglier, navigating through the menus is much easier because in 3.0 whenever you select something on the menu you have to wait about 2-3 seconds before it takes you to that section. In 2.1.1 it's instant.
Two to three seconds when selecting something on the main menu on 3.0? No way. You're exaggerating by at least 2 seconds. There is a very slim lag with 3.0, which I assume has to do with the animated icons, but it's nowhere near that long.

linoleum13 said:
I think that 2.1.2 is the same as 3.0. Just a different name for it. Im not positive about that though.
A few people here have 2.1.2 on their gp2x after returning it for a repair to GPH and they say its the same interface as 2.1.1 dont know why it wasnt released to the english side of the site and only the korean though.

I still want to get my hands on it but i just cant figure my way blindly through the korean registration to get a copy of it :p We just need someone who is korean or knows a korean or can even read korean to get it and put it on the archives for us. Not that i guess it really matters, but still....

Back