Which distro

I took back my Lexar pro 64G for refund to the shop as i had problems with ext2 file system.

I'll stick with SanDisk Extreme Pro from now on.

My Lexar did boot Slackware from ext2.

Maybe you got a bad one.

At the time I got my lexar they were the cheapest one with 99€.

Now you get even faster ones for 76€ and cheaper ones for 59€.

http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=918  recommended reading for SD cards. You can now buy samsung branded cards, which have worked for me, and sandisk is my preferred vendor. All based on only a handfull of samples from each.

I have one kingston 64GB microSD card that failed when i went from exfat to ext2, and failed invariably at making a partition table. When i complained i got a different one in the mail that was slightly different, a little red label on the bottom, no questions asked.

The next logical step to bunnies findings is trying to control the microcontroller and do things with it, which he writes about later on. There is one post about how they are made too, which made me trust sd cards even less.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always been a Slackware fan for my Desktop PC.

For the Pyra.. I'd probably have to go with Debian.

Big NO to Ubuntu.

my vote also goes to arch linux.

I use it everyday for about 2 years now and i really *love* it! :)

k.i.s.s. rulez! ;)

second favour is debian testing.

Debian. Perhaps Arch.

Haven't used Arch myself yet, but I hear nothing but good things about it.

Debian maybe Arch. And yes, im new here but i powerful hate the forums presentations. Hope it does not offend you :)

Debian jessie. As a default OS, you need to have a very smooth, easy to use OS. Debian does this quite well, even more so as it turns stable.

While I like Arch, currently use it and would probable use it on the Pyra too, it isn't suitable as a "default OS". While it is quite stable, even with the always current packages, it /can/ crap out on you with varius things.. This is not something that is wanted for a default os.

As an added bonus for n00bs to linux:

Say you want to find a cool music player. People would get into their web browser of choice and search for linux music player. What are the chances they they will find the pacman command? They are almost assured to find an apt-get command. Due to the insane popularity of Ubuntu, a huge portion of the "linux" help pages are really Ubuntu help pages. Luckly, for the most part, this also means Debian. It doesn't mean Arch though, or OpenSuse, or any none Debian based. Granted, this wouldn't effect most of you here, but it should be taken into account.

note: we wouldn't run on the default arch repo... we would pull the alarm repo local for compiling stable releases and merge down as required. the whole thing can be done pretty cleanly.

I love Arch but I think Debian is better.

Synaptic is nice to have for those not familiar with command line.

I love Arch but I think Debian is better.

Synaptic is nice to have for those not familiar with command line.
Holy crap this. When I first started using Linux, ala Ubuntu 9.04, I loved Synaptic. Even now, if I have to use Debian/Ubuntu I will install synaptic (I don't like the Software Center). I have gotten use to the command line over the years, and quite like it for somethings (c* is my favorite music player and apt-get is nice), but Synaptic is just so easy to use while still being powerful. The best package manager I have ever used. I use Arch right now, and even have a pacman GUI installed, PackmanXG. I never use it, yaourt is just much better even though it is CLi. All other package manager's just fail in comparison to Synaptic, especially for n00bs.

So, yeah, that is a good reason for Debian based over Arch. Unless someone knows of a good pacman GUI that would be usable for new linux users?

Just installed Debian-Testing (XFCE) on an old T22 Thinkpad. I was disappointed that it is actually a little too heavyweight for such a 256MB machine. It isn't clear to me what it is needing all this RAM for, e.g. NetworkManager seems to hog 5 times the memory compared to our SuperSaxxon version.

I suspect it will be a lot of work to produce a base installation for Pyra.

my vote also goes to arch linux.

I use it everyday for about 2 years now and i really *love* it! :)

k.i.s.s. rulez! ;)

second favour is debian testing.
Until now, I broke every Arch installation when updating. It never lasted more then 2 weeks. Then the dependencies were messed up and the system couldn't find several libs and commands anymore.

Back