Where To Start

Death_Pigeon

Still Fresh
Hi im here asking what computer language is it best to know to begin building an emulator or something else
Languages i know:
Java
C++
Thanks for the help in advance.

I've been wondering the same for a while now...

My guess is that you work with either C/C++ or some of the ported scripting languages like python (which I don't recommend). Then you need to learn to work with SDL and OpenGL ES. These libs are used for input/output and graphics.

I'm not sure what other libs will be available or if there is already a tool chain available for those who can't wait to create something cool ;)

Cheers,
San

hey

Yea, I made my emus with C/C++ and used SDL for drawing the framebuffer.

Anyhows your probably gonna pick up and possibly program in the assembly language of whatever cpu ya emulating by the time ya write all the routines for all the instructions and all the debugging and such, hehe.

But if ya interested in emulator programming then ya might wanna checkout the programming section of the http://www.emutalk.net forums, I'd recommend you start with a chip8 emu :). You should find links to the docs and such, but I think I've still got them around and could probably dig em up for ya if ya can't find.

edit
BTW, if you are not sure what language is best to make an emulator with or whatever, then chances are ya not ready to make an emu yet, hehe.

cyas

Back