GP32 What Computer Language?

Carface

Still Fresh
Hi so what is the benefit of learning C++? I am just about to start learning it but heard that java is a popular new computer language.
Will C++ still be a popular computing language in a few years time?
Should I learn Java instead of C++?
Also what language does Microsoft use to make their apllications like Word, Excel etc?

Java has it's uses and can be quite fast, but if you're interested in making games and applications, then I'd advise that you go for C or C++. Since you need to know C before you can use the ++ part, I'd try and learn plain C first. Either way, if you want to learn a language so you can code for the GP32 then you'll have to use C/C++, or arm assembler if you're a machosist ;) Java's syntax is quite similar to C++, so I think learning C/C++ would give you a good head start for if you wanted to learn Java in the future.

C before C++??

I learnt it in that order, and it just confused things. Just go straight into C++ if you want my opinion.

C++ is the best language, and always will be, it is the only language that has survived and all newer languages(C# java etc) are just a varient of C. If you want to make money learn VB. I think that alot of people get the impression that c++ will make you marketable. Even worse, alot of kids think that if they learn c++ they can program in the video game industry. Nothing could be further from the truth. There are NO JOBS AND NOTHING TO BE GAINED FROM BEING A HIGH LEVEL PROFICIENT PROGRAMMER. Consider learning C++ an exercise in personal growth. All programming is done in China and India, thats where you have to be if you want to make any practical use of your skills. So, program games if you want, in other words make the next pong, but realize that learning to program is not a practical exercise. I personally code C++ and have gained absolutely nothing from doing so, other than I can say, "Wow, look at me, I can program!!!!"
To which friends and family will look absently in this general direction and feel pitty.

I cant tell if your post is completely sarcasm or if you meant to say something useful.

C++ is very powerful, Java is very portable.

Learn C++. Once you learn C++, Java will be easy (as will everything else).

Back