Hi All!

sindbad said:
I'm starting to sound like a fanboy, but Qt has a feature similar in results called QtConcurrent (inspired by MapReduce). There's also the less heavy duty Threadweaver from KDE, also based on Qt.
Oh that's okay, I'm sure I sound like a .NET fanboy too. I definitely appreciate it. I figured that similar things existed for Python, I just lack the google-fu to find them, I guess, so it's nice to hear about them.

So what you're saying is that I can use Qt (which I assume is a C++ library) through Python and get multi-core processing? Or will it still only run on one core? My main qualm is just having to spawn separate processes to get some kind of performance gain from the multi-core machines.

I heard that Google makes huge use of map+reduce because it's so easy to parallelize it.

Should we maybe start a thread about Qt in the Dev section? I hate to hijack a thread, but I'm very intrigued by this.

Last edited by a moderator:
my car analogies:
.NET closed source waste of my time IMO.... where is the steering wheel?

java... a bloated psudosecure VM that businesses like (note i say businesses and not computer scientists) think of it as driving a car with strings from the back seat

C++ gives you the power and control just like a sports car you misshandle it and it will get you a ticket or get you killed but i sure do like them

ASM getting out and pushing you car is an excelent way to save gas

Disclaimer: I hate java sorry LOL also i must admit i just installed slackware on a pentium 2 dualie with 512mb ram and KDE is pretty fast (as long as transparencies are off) and im getting to like it more and more... i sure hope KDE 4 lives up to it's promises

rabidpoobear said:
So what you're saying is that I can use Qt (which I assume is a C++ library) through Python and get multi-core processing? Or will it still only run on one core? My main qualm is just having to spawn separate processes to get some kind of performance gain from the multi-core machines.
I'm not sure, I've only used it with C++. It may run fine, since time would be spent in C++ code. At worst, you'd have to write the whole loop that does the heavy work in C/C++ and manually release the GIL.
I think Threadweaver doesn't have this shortcoming, but it's not a part of Qt.
rabidpoobear said:
I heard that Google makes huge use of map+reduce because it's so easy to parallelize it.
That's where Trolltech (the guys that made Qt) have it from.
rabidpoobear said:
Should we maybe start a thread about Qt in the Dev section? I hate to hijack a thread, but I'm very intrigued by this.
Maybe we should. Search for Qt4 documentation and look at KDE as an example of Qt usage.

cb88 said:
Disclaimer: I hate java sorry LOL also i must admit i just installed slackware on a pentium 2 dualie with 512mb ram and KDE is pretty fast (as long as transparencies are off) and im getting to like it more and more... i sure hope KDE 4 lives up to it's promises
All of your analogies assume the programmers are irresponsible or stupid. I don't think that's the case 90% of the time. :)

Back