Where To Get Glass Cut To Size???

bast525

At first I wasn't sold on the glass screen mod... I just figured.. no problem to be really careful with my GP when it shows up to keep scratches off the screen. Maybe I'd get a regular PDA screen cover and cut it to size. But now I just read that the GP screen cover is tinted yellow (?!?!??!) and this is clearly discernible as you're playing games on the unit... WTF???

I'm in the US so... not really any options local to me to send my unit and have it modded (lucky Brits :D ).

What I'm wondering is, where could I go, or what kind of place would I go, to have a piece of glass custom cut for me to make a new screen cover out of? I've never seen or heard of a place that provides this kind of service, and would think it unlikely to find one that would do it on such a small scale.

So, where do you guys get YOUR glass from?

I bought my BLU a few weeks ago from GP32Z.com (jr2swiss's site), and he installed a glass screen for me as well. Perfect job, looks great. He's in the US, and I definitely recommend his services.

yer one of the lucky ones then. I too wanted to buy one from him, with the screen mod and a volt mod, but happened unto this forum just as jr2swiss had decided to stop selling them altogether. I asked if he was still doing mods or selling gp accesories, but never got a reply, other than he was completely sold out of the systems.

I had the first glass mod (loooooooong ago... September 2003 :)).

I just went to a glass production facility, took my screen with it and asked if I could get that thing in glass.

They were nice enough to cut it and gave it to me without charging anything (as it was just junk for them... they produce much larger glasses usually).

Only thing I had to do is cut the edges carefully so it would fit (as the original edges are round).
This doesn't have to look good, as the grey frame is above it anyways, so you don't see the edges, they just have to fit.

BTW:
If you want to do it just because of the light yellow tinted color:
Forget it. The tint is nearly invisible. I just realized it myself in direct comparison (with / without protective screen).
The tint should be light red though, as the BLU is lightly blue tinted and red is the complementary color to blue. So a light red tint would make the screen white again...

Look in the yellow pages for a picture framing company.

I'm a bit worried about such a thin piece of glass getting broken and one of the shards stabbing the LCD or something...

bast525 posted on Dec 13 2004 at 03:17 PM said:
At first I wasn't sold on the glass screen mod... I just figured.. no problem to be really careful with my GP when it shows up to keep scratches off the screen. Maybe I'd get a regular PDA screen cover and cut it to size. But now I just read that the GP screen cover is tinted yellow (?!?!??!) and this is clearly discernible as you're playing games on the unit... WTF???

I'm in the US so... not really any options local to me to send my unit and have it modded (lucky Brits :D ).

What I'm wondering is, where could I go, or what kind of place would I go, to have a piece of glass custom cut for me to make a new screen cover out of? I've never seen or heard of a place that provides this kind of service, and would think it unlikely to find one that would do it on such a small scale.

So, where do you guys get YOUR glass from?
####################################################
if you want a nice clean screen for your gp32 this is what i have done with mine
i took a cd case fine one thats really clean no scraches on it lay down your old screen on the cd case mark it out then cut your new one if you have a motor tool it cuts good thats what i use the screen looks good and real clear try it by james

Last edited by a moderator:
bast525 posted on Dec 13 2004 at 10:23 AM said:
yer one of the lucky ones then. I too wanted to buy one from him, with the screen mod and a volt mod, but happened unto this forum just as jr2swiss had decided to stop selling them altogether. I asked if he was still doing mods or selling gp accesories, but never got a reply, other than he was completely sold out of the systems.
I ordered one from the same batch as Prophet. I can't believe that If I had waited about a week longer then I wouldn't have my beloved gp32_console :eek:

if you want a nice clean screen for your gp32 this is what i have done with mine
i took a cd case fine one thats really clean no scraches on it lay down your old screen on the cd case mark it out then cut your new one if you have a motor tool it cuts good thats what i use the screen looks good and real clear try it by james
now there's an interesting design!

thats actually a realy good idea
it would be the right thickness
but it seems like it would be really weak

Jarska333 posted on Dec 13 2004 at 08:00 PM said:
Say at is motor tool same thing as a "dremel"?
##############################################3
yes that is what a motor tool is use a tool that looks a drill bit but with a point on it when you cut it out it will be thick just like a piece of glass and it works great when you mark it with a marker
you will have to cut just a hair below the mark line to get it right ok thanks james

diablo2 posted on Dec 13 2004 at 08:52 PM said:
thats actually a realy good idea
it would be the right thickness
but it seems like it would be really weak
no its thick once you cut it out its not weak if you get it right its crystle clear view all i can say is try it byby

I used the same way while replacing LCD cover (upper one) on my Nikon Coolpix 995 digital camera. Used dremel, CD cover and it's okey. But since it's plastic it can be scratched really easily. I'd prefer glass if possible.

Back