Where On Your Sd Card Do You Keep Your Music?

Guyfawkes

Certified Idiot :)
Website
www.emuholic.com
For my next game I am writing a media player which is integrated into the game. Due to time constraints to get the game ready for the community coding competition the media player will be a cut down version of what the final version will be. As a result file/folder browsing will not be possible and the media player will scan a certain folder and its sub folders for music.

I have two ideas to get around this for the moment, the first is to make the default folder changeable by editing the configuration file, i.e. /music/, /audio/, /music/ etc. Or the second is to either stick to the GP2X Standards site recommendation of /audio/ or just scan the entire SD card from root. They all have advantages and disadvantages so I am not sure which do implement.

Once the scan is complete, the music files found are saved to one big .m3u playlist file and future loading of the game will read this file instead of rescanning. In a future release the playlist support will be better handled with individual playlists for each folder (i.e. an album) which you will then be able to select in game.

So what I want to know is how do you think the scanning should be done, either a default folder changeable by editing the configuration file or scan the SD card either from root or the GP2X Standard '/audio/'. Please reply here with what you reckon would be best.

If it scans all the card then you will be able to easily play music from games folders.

If I do use mp3s on my go2x then I stick them in the standard folder. But I only have 2 in there at the moment since I have an mp3 player.

So what I want to know is how do you think the scanning should be done, either a default folder changeable by editing the configuration file or scan the SD card either from root or the GP2X Standard '/audio/'. Please reply here with what you reckon would be best.

a config file is the most versatile solution, i would run with that.

you can put the GP2X standard '/audio/' as the default value in the config file ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
you can put the GP2X standard '/audio/' as the default value in the config file

I agree with that. Although, I wonder why the standard page choosed /audio/ as a default as I think most peope use /music/.

heh I keep meaning to update the guide with the GP2X Standards recommendations. ill make sure this is in the next release.

good idea starpause, thats definitely my favourite so far :)

I forgot to mention that the game will have at least one music file included so no worry if you don't have any music on your SD card. I get sick of hearing the same song over and over so thought it would be good to include a media player in game to sort this out. Hopefully when its finished I will release the code for other people to use in their own games. It is very simple to use, only one function call which does all the work; changing tracks and display the music track info tab.

heres an screenshot showing the track info tab, it scrolls up from the bottom of the screen, displays for a few seconds then drops back down again, you can switch it off totally or just disable it while playing if it annoys you :)

squaresmp-1.png

more info on the game at http://www.emuboards.com/guyfawkes/squares.htm. btw: its not just the original squares, theres an extra version which has some other stuff, although im not sure if this will be finished in time for the compo.

I just played the flash game and it's very addictive. Any chance of a 2 player version (by using the buttons as alternative joystick). One player goes red the other black and has to avoid the other persons squares.

Something very similar is planned for one of the other modes. The game fully supports mouse if you have a BOB so one player can use mouse and the other the joypad (might be tricky though). I also hope to get usb joysticks working which would be much easier if multiple (hint :)) players were using those.

I am not sure if the mode will be in the first release, its designed but not coded (like most of the game) but its fairly small work involved so it stands a good chance it does get in the first release.

Theres already two versions of the game on the gp2x if you want to check them out. one is in the minigames game and the other is a standalone game.

Main reason why I chose this game is its a very addictive game and I haven't coded anything with some action in a long long time, majority of my stuff is puzzle style games. So this will give me a chance to get back into coding something with action and also expand on the original game idea with a couple of new modes and features, and try some new code like the media player stuff.

I loved playing this game, being part of Quiest's Minigame Project, on the GP32 and therefore played it many many hours. :)

I wish you good luck for the project, though I know that you don't need it. ;)

I recommend a config file, scanning the whole sd card could result in me hearing the sounds of Monkey Island... I usually put my music in a folder in the root of the sd called 'music' oddly enough. Going with the standard as default is probably a good bet.

I agree with that. Although, I wonder why the standard page choosed /audio/ as a default as I think most peope use /music/.
Well, I don't listen to any music, but I do have some podcasts on there. Most podcasts are clearly not music, but they are audio :)

I use /media for all music, pictures, and video myself.

I would vote for a changable config setting, over a full SD scan.

If you're scanning subdirs, a full scan will still be possible via setting the config value to /, so this gives us complete flexibility.

Ya know guys, with the incredible flexability of linux, you could probably do something like...

mount -o bind /mnt/sd/audio /mnt/sd

in a script, and have it unmount after the audio player finishes (if it exits instead of exec'ing the menu). Someone should try that and see if it works.

For anyone who dosen't know, there is already a Squares game avaliable for GP2X in the Minigame Project, but it dosen't have mp3 support or any other cool features.

Well, I don't listen to any music, but I do have some podcasts on there. Most podcasts are clearly not music, but they are audio :)
As Orkie said.. plus there's also playlists, audio books, equilizer config files, media player skins etc. you get the general idea. Just seemed a good idea to keep them together in one place rather than have them spread out all over the SD card.

I won't say which folder I'd use by default as you can probably guess ;)

IMO probably better to go with the config file. As it's already been stated in the thread, some games come with mp3's etc. & this could be quite a problem with an auto scan feature.

Good luck with the compo Guyfawkes & I hope you get it finished in time. That's a great game to add your own tunes to :D

Back