Where Is A Good Place To Buy A Dc 5v/3a Adapter

TLJRyan

Still Fresh
I'll be receiving my gp2x in a few days, with the cradle, but didn't realize that it didn't come with the AC adapter. Where's a good place online to find a Dc 5v/3a Adapter for the cradle? I've already checked out radioshack and the websites that do have it look a little shady. I'm sorry, I'm a little bit nervous with electronics and don't want to buy something that will end up messing up my (rather large) investment. Thanks a lot.

Blah said:
You didn't mention what polarity it needs.
I'd assume he wants the same polarity as the cradle, since thats what he wants it for ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
Blah said:
You didn't mention what polarity it needs.
I'd assume he wants the same polarity as the cradle, since thats what he wants it for ;)

Center-positive, in case anyone was wondering, although no one can answer why (the dev. BOB uses center negative)

Miika said:
I bought this:
http://www.gp2x.de/shop/product_info.php/c...657ink840brvsf4

I use it to power my cradle whenever needed (It can power surprisingly many USB devices without power!), but it can also power your GP2X.
It works FAN-TAS-TIC!

Thanks. I was about to buy it, but I'd prefer American prongs for less trouble. Is it necessary that the adapter be 5v? Can I get one at 6v? What about amps? But center positive I guess is a go go.

It would be safe to go higher than 3 amps (but not lower), but it must be 5v. Anything higher than 5v will screw it up and anything lower probably won't work. You don't have to worry about too high of amps, there is no such thing, but it wont work with too low of amps.

The adapter Miika linked to is a universal adapter with adjustable voltage and interchangeable heads. There are several models like that designed to work on US outlets, you can find them at Radio Shack or Wal-Mart or the internet, etc.

You don't need an AC adapter unless you want to power high powered devices and/or the GP2X through the cradle. Without an AC adapter many USB devices work. And TV out and all the other functions work.

Blah said:
It would be safe to go higher than 3 amps (but not lower), but it must be 5v. Anything higher than 5v will screw it up and anything lower probably won't work. You don't have to worry about too high of amps, there is no such thing, but it wont work with too low of amps.

The adapter Miika linked to is a universal adapter with adjustable voltage and interchangeable heads. There are several models like that designed to work on US outlets, you can find them at Radio Shack or Wal-Mart or the internet, etc.

You don't need an AC adapter unless you want to power high powered devices and/or the GP2X through the cradle. Without an AC adapter many USB devices work. And TV out and all the other functions work.
Thanks. Yeah, I plan on connecting it to my external hard drive and keeping the thing connected to my TV as a media center. Thanks again, peace.

I have another question. I bought one of those Energizer batter chargers. It says to plug it directly into the wall and not a surge protector, but I have no more open outlets in convenient spots. Is it okay to plug it into a surge protector?

I promise, I won't bug you guys when it comes to the software.

Well, if the manufacturer says not to do it, I would be cautious, as they now there equipment. I can't think of a possible reason why they'd ask that though.

Shoot, I am really confused. I just stopped by RadioShack, and they didn't carry anything up to 3A. I think the highest was like 1500mA, not close enough to the 3A. Is what I'm looking for supposed to be 3mA or 3A? I checked out the adapter at gp2x.de but it only goes up to 2500 mA. Bah.

TLJRyan said:
Shoot, I am really confused. I just stopped by RadioShack, and they didn't carry anything up to 3A. I think the highest was like 1500mA, not close enough to the 3A. Is what I'm looking for supposed to be 3mA or 3A? I checked out the adapter at gp2x.de but it only goes up to 2500 mA. Bah.
You are supposed to have a 3A = 3000mA. The gp2x.de is 2500mA (2,5A) And it is more than enough, it does not matter. 2500mA is more than enough to power any USB device(s). Like a controller can for example need 50mA and a hard drive maybe 700mA, I think you could power several HDD's with a 2500 supply!

Unless you want to connect more than two HDDs at one time, 2500mAh should easily be enough, yeah.

Back