I Have A Few Questions...

chrisxcore

Still Fresh
I've read a lot about this handheld and am thinking about dishing out the $180 or so when I get my next paycheck (which I've never really been into handhelds but if I get to rock out with Punch Out! in the break room at work then I'm so there).

Anyway, my first question is about MP3, OGG, WMA, and audio. I've read that OGG files are smaller than MP3. How much smaller? Like what would be the difference in a 4 minute MP3 file vs. a 4 minute OGG file and a 4 minute WMA file? I was about to get an actual MP3 player with 'x' GB's of storge when I started thinking this thing can play a lot of games, music and movies. And it's cheaper. But I also have a lot of CDs. So I just need to know what I'm looking at storage wise on these SM cards for OGG files.

My next question is: Does anyone have a picture of this thing in their hands? I kinda wanted to know what I'd be looking at as far as size goes. It wont matter too much since I wear fairly loose cargo pants a lot but I just want to get a visual. Even a picture of it in actual size, or side by side comparison to a GBA would be nice.

Also, I read somewhere that the makers of GP32 are working on a device that'll let you hook it up to a TV. Is that what the RF Module does? That would be so kick ass to just have a library of retro games in such a small system and still be able to play on a TV. But I guess that would be a little pointless if it doesn't have a spot for a AC/DC adapter or whatever.

Here's the last question. Does anybody use rechargable AA batteries in their GP32? I'd throw down some cash for a good charger and good batteries if it meant I didn't have to keep buying them over and over again.

I'm probably going to buy it anyway since I've never had a handheld console, ever. If I buy one, why not this one right? PSP doesn't really get my attention, nor the Zodiac, DS, or GBA.

This was originally posted to F.A.Q. and therefore invisible; I moved it here for now as it doesn't match the 'one question/one answer' structure.

If you want to buy a music player, buy a music player. The GP32 is only as good enough as the early MP3 players as it has max. 128mb of storage (last time I checked). In OGG terms that's about 40 songs (MP3 would probably get you 32 or so - the difference isn't all that great).

There must be lots of pics, but I can't think of any off the hand... I'm sure someone else can deliver the goods.

The RF module is for wireless multiplayer, not TV connectivity. If it's anything, it's using the GP32 as a TV remote - I don't think plans to play GP32 stuff on a TV are planned (that said, it has been done by hardware hackers)

There is a spot for DC adapter (3V).

I don't think you'll regret your purchase - but make sure you read up on the BLU problem (you may choose to buy an FLU or non-lit instead) but remember, the GP32 will offer you a lot more than a DS, PSP, Zodiac or GBA would :)

img00029dd.jpg

Hands come in different sizes, but here's my GP with match, AA-battery, and a 50€-cent coin. Sorry, no Abe Lincolns. Pay no attention to the apparent lines on GP's screen, that's just from my crappy camera...

Actually, comparing to the 50€-cent I have in my hand, that's about life-size.

Back