Linear or tactile?

ClockworkCoder

Chaotic Neutral
I'm considering getting a new keyboard. Specifically the new Voyager from ZSA:

I'm thinking to try linear keys this time - I've got keyboards with tactile keys, but want to try something different. I'm not a gamer (at least not one that uses a keyboard for gaming, unless it's retro gaming), but thought that these might be a bit quieter, and potentially quicker to type with (after getting used to them), but wondered what the keyboard experts here have to say... are linear mechanical switches good or bad?

I would go for clicky keys, but I don't think the people around me would appreciate that much...

When I switched from a mechanical typewriter (I'm ancient aren't I) to a PC keyboard, I liked the heavy switches. I was used to hitting keys pretty hard and the clicking sound was nice.
Today I have a way cheaper keyboard. I do like travel but also silent use. I tried way more expensive keyboards with all the goodness of proper switches, but I personally didn't find the additional cost and noise worth the little improved experience.
I still prefer actual keys and travel compared to most laptop keyboards, but I manage to work for longer periods on those also.

I assume everyone's preferences differ as seen on the lengthy discussion we had on the Pandora/Pyra keyboards. So happy to read other peoples preferences and arguments.

I guess in any case your options boil down to
- try before you buy
- accept the extra costs and effort to potentially change the switches later and buy it with linear ones
- buy it with tactile ones and keep wondering about linears

You already said
, but want to try something different.
, and potentially quicker to type with (after getting used to them),
So option c)'s ruled out and option a) only viable, if the try out period is of adequate length.

I guess in any case your options boil down to
- try before you buy
- accept the extra costs and effort to potentially change the switches later and buy it with linear ones
- buy it with tactile ones and keep wondering about linears
This is good advice, thanks.

My inclination was/is to buy it (after saving up, of course), and get used to it. I'd love to try one first, but not sure that's a possibility (at least a full keyboard).

Columnar layouts and split keyboards have their own learning curve to begin with, and I've learned to love them, even ones with a reduced number of keys.

The general advice seems to be that tactile switches are the best option for most people, and those who haven't tried mechanical keyboards before, and linear ones can take more getting used to as as there is no definitive click, it can be apparently hard to misjudge/mistype on them.

I guess what I wondered was if anyone has experience using them, and either loved or hated them for whatever reasons.

I recently got cherry MX white silent (linear) for work. I've used mostly brown "silent" switches over the years. Both are pleasant experiences, maybe browns feel slightly better but whites are quieter and you don't want to be accused of being disrespectful (like I have). I ended up getting keyboard by cherry too, a German firm afaik and competitively priced Vs Chinese.

I got myself one of these and I've decided that I like Gateron silent brown best. They're tactile, but not click, and silent. Still haven't changed my switches yet, but it's in the roadmap. Also considering doing a tape mod to reduce pinging.

https://drop.com/buy/kbdfans-all-in-one-72-switch-tester
Neat board!

I did put rubber rings to dampen the clack on one of my keyboards which worked well.

I think some people also use lubrication on their mechanical switches, although I've not found the need for that quite yet. Perhaps just because I haven't tried it yet...

Actually I also recently snagged this too:
PXL_20230808_100309347~2.jpg

Don't tell me that you skipped the joy of "wonderful" keyboards like the ZX Spectrum, or at least a C64, similar 8-bit computer, or Amiga..?
I still have my C64, and one of the first generations Intel x86. I had it before my typewriter actually. But even before that I worked with an IBM PC at my school, which was not common at that time. Color monitor etc, fancy stuff. I also have an MSX.

I have one of these but already forgot what type of switches Ive ordered, its a bit of getting used to but I still like it very much

fp1yku5c2uvgxaj27t2a

It has an any key :) and my fn keys are called fun :D

edit looked at the order and the switch type is "SILENT-TACTILE" but I forgot the brand or colour I do like how they feel

I have one of these but already forgot what type of switches Ive ordered, its a bit of getting used to but I still like it very much

fp1yku5c2uvgxaj27t2a

It has an any key :) and my fn keys are called fun :D

edit looked at the order and the switch type is "SILENT-TACTILE" but I forgot the brand or colour I do like how they feel
leica q?

Back