Where Are The Homebrew Games ?

Pleng said:
Bosbeetle said:
Pleng said:
a decent finger friendly media player, and a nice GUI.

Whats wrong with OMMPC

Not seen it. Where can I find it? It's not in the app store.

OK now I have used it and can answer the question!

Icons too small for my big fingers. No feedback to advise that the database has been updated. Crashes out when selecting browse file sysytem. And worst of all, no way apparent way to play an entire album or all tracks from a particular artist without making a playlist.

torpor said:
Pleng: Not shelved just put on hold while I get the synth done first ... tbh its really fun! ;)

torpor, thanks for keeping me updated. I'm looking forward to the synth and eventually LMMS, as I've had to flog all my outboard gear :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
Pleng said:
Bosbeetle said:
Pleng said:
a decent finger friendly media player, and a nice GUI.

Whats wrong with OMMPC

Not seen it. Where can I find it? It's not in the app store.

OK now I have used it and can answer the question!

Icons too small for my big fingers. No feedback to advise that the database has been updated. Crashes out when selecting browse file sysytem. And worst of all, no way apparent way to play an entire album or all tracks from a particular artist without making a playlist.

I agree that's why I use audacious, but I don't mind to use the stylus.

(btw I think you can just select an album and press play to play an album, use 'h' to see the controls)

Bosbeetle said:
I agree that's why I use audacious, but I don't mind to use the stylus.

Well an all in one media soultion would be nice. XBMC looks promising, but still buggy at the moment from what I gather.

(btw I think you can just select an album and press play to play an album, use 'h' to see the controls)

Just tried that and it didnt work for me

Pleng said:
Release date is not the same as last updated date.
The wiki uses the latest release date (exactly what you're after, in other words). This is pointed out in the introduction on those pages.

Preview pics as mouseovers is a terrible idea.
It's what the File Archive uses.
Adding an additional column so with the pics would be much better.
Now THAT'S a terrible idea. The page would take ages to load and each line would take several cm of screen space.

Esn said:
Pleng said:
Release date is not the same as last updated date.
The wiki uses the latest release date (exactly what you're after, in other words). This is pointed out in the introduction on those pages.

Ok Didn't notice that.

Preview pics as mouseovers is a terrible idea.
It's what the File Archive uses.
[/quote]

No 'http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,112']the file archive uses thumbnails, with larger images on mouseover. Well, actually the thumbnails aren't actually thumbnails... they're the full size image scaled down on the client side... which is why the pages take ages to download.

Adding an additional column so with the pics would be much better.
Now THAT'S a terrible idea. The page would take ages to load and each line would take several cm of screen space.
[/quote]

At least you'd have a visual representation of what each app/game might be/do. The pages shouldn't take ages to download with small thumbnails and you could always have it as a collapsible column if you're worried about screen space.

When you go on the main page of the Pandora File Archive, there are no thumbnails. See the lists on the left & right column? When roll your mouse over them, an image pops up.

A column of screenshots (even thumbnails) would take ages to load. If they're all hidden... maybe. I'd really have to see it in action before I have an opinion. You'd still have to click on each one to see it, and the page format would jump around when you do, so it's probably not ideal.

With preview pics on mouseover, on the other hand, you wouldn't have to click anything. I don't get why it would be a terrible idea. Wikipedia already does it when you mouse over a wikilink - it loads an image and some text from the article. Remove the text from the equation, and you have what I'm proposing.

I have no idea how to modify that code, though.

I never said it's a terrible idea. It's just not a very good one.

At the end of the day I don't really care what anybody esle thinks on the subject. The Wiki, for me, is just an awful resource for browsing available software. Too much information in too smaller space, with no visual indication of what the software does. Given that it's apparently the only way to find everything that's available, well that makes me a sad panda.

And I do know how to modify the code, but I'm not going to do it if other people don't want it.

WizardStan said:
I'm working on a bunch of things but get easily distracted by something else to do.
This. This so much.

One of my longer running projects, Wars, is not pandora-specific (it's web based), but one of my goals is to make it run nicely on a pandora.

EDIT: clarifying line breaks

sebt3 said:
Unfathomable Depths said:
It's a pain in the arse to develop for. PNDs are messy.
I strongly disagree.
You develop for it like for any linux host... This one don't have GL acceleration but GLES. That's it.
If you're used to Visual Studio or eclipse, I can understand the gnu way disrupt your usage. But once used to it, it is as good as anything else.

How can you say PND are messy, do you have a pandora ? (I though yes, but your claim let me think otherwise...)

You dev like any other linux host? Seb - I have had no problems with Ubuntu libs (my first experience with Linux) just install via the package manager and forget. Remember - I'm a stupid M$ WinDoze user and just like to add the lib in the folder root... ;)

For me programming should be a joy. With the Pandora it's a chore. I'll give you an example..

I want to use Allegro. Hitnrun posted his binary build of Allegro. I tried to just include the lib and include paths in the compiler. Didn't work. This may be obvious to most but remember, I'm a noob. Failed. Lib not found.
Then I tried merging the contents of the Allegro package with my /usr/local/pandora/ folder. Getting closer. All it did was fail with the wrong version not found (my x86 version of Allegro is 4.4.2 and the Pandoras is 4.4.1)

After that, I thought, fuck it. Not worth the effort.

why didn't you post the problem you were having to the forum? Leverage the community, that's what it's there for.
I don't think I can help with the problem, but I'm sure someone else knows what's going wrong and will gladly help.

WizardStan said:
why didn't you post the problem you were having to the forum? Leverage the community, that's what it's there for.
I don't think I can help with the problem, but I'm sure someone else knows what's going wrong and will gladly help.

The reason is replies like this. I've asked by PM to the porter. I'm not having a go at hitnrun, he's got a life.

*edit* ;)

I don't get it..? :) Was there something wrong with Stan's post?

I think it's always best to ask these questions on the forums so everyone can benefit from the answer. Also, if the person getting the PM is pressed for time they're probably more inclined to answer the question on the boards, than play private tech support.

I've asked by PM to the porter. I'm not having a go at hitnrun, he's got a life.
You should have asked publicly : I do have my own allegro built (used in racer). So I can help you :p

I don´t want to get involved in a flame war so I´ll answer the last few post and bow out: And remember kids, it´s just my opinion :)

Gruso said:
I don't get it..? :) Was there something wrong with Stan's post?

I think it's always best to ask these questions on the forums so everyone can benefit from the answer. Also, if the person getting the PM is pressed for time they're probably more inclined to answer the question on the boards, than play private tech support.

I found Stans post patronising and unhelpful. The main reason I never asked for help is the amount of 'use the search function' replies and anal retentives moaning about gravedigging old posts. I asked directly via PM.

sebt3 said:
I've asked by PM to the porter. I'm not having a go at hitnrun, he's got a life.
You should have asked publicly : I do have my own allegro built (used in racer). So I can help you :p

I was thinking about asking you seb as it was Racer that made me have a look at Allegro in the first place :)

skeezix said:
I do like the implication ..

"I'm a noob" --> pnds are messy. Hmmm :)

jeff

Jeff, I do like the implication... noobs aren´t allowed opinions ;)

All I was trying to do was give an honest answer to the OPs question.

I found Stans post patronising and unhelpful.

He suggested a place where you might have found the help you needed. I don't find anything about that post patronising or unhelpful.

I agree with your point about the 'use the search function' responses, but there was nothing about Stan's post that was patronising.

The main reason I never asked for help is the amount of 'use the search function' replies and anal retentives moaning about gravedigging old posts.
I agree with Gruso : While I will answer every PM I got, sometime if the help can get public, it should as it can/may/will help someone else too.
Did you tried posting in the dev section ? Theses days only devels posts there, and this is a friendly place...

I was thinking about asking you seb as it was Racer that made me have a look at Allegro in the first place :)
I'm waiting for your thread.

Jeff, I do like the implication... noobs aren´t allowed opinions ;)
While I agree with the fact everyone is allowed to have opinion. There are way to say things :
"PNDs are messy" -- It is presented to anyone as a fact not an opinion.
"I think PNDs are messy" -- opinon.
Having to read the first one every now and then when you have spent weeks/months to build this isn't very pleasing...

I found Stans post patronising and unhelpful. The main reason I never asked for help is the amount of 'use the search function' replies and anal retentives moaning about gravedigging old posts. I asked directly via PM.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come across patronizing. I was being completely genuine when I suggested asking the forum for help. :(
You wouldn't have been the first and certainly won't be the last. While a PM might seem like the best and fastest way to get an answer, it does a major disservice to the other members of the board, some of whom are highly intelligent and may be just as capable of answering your questions as Hitnrun. As we just saw, Sebt3 was also working on Allegro and may be able to give you some pointers, but he didn't know you were even looking at using it until you mentioned it here. That's what I meant: if you've got a question, there should be no shame in asking the board for their help because you never know who might have the answer.

I was by no means suggesting you can't have an opinion.

But it does seem questionable to say 'something is messy' (ie: crappy) when you're admitting you're a noob, and perhaps not well equipped enough to judge it? (you may well be, but it sounds fishy :) More to point, some of your issues have nothing to do with pnds per say -- ie: that pnds may be working just fine, but you had problems building them in your environment, because we didn't make it easy yet for Windows. ie: "zip is messy because I have rar tools installed" sounds like the same sort of argument you were making. ie: Allegro certianly has nothing to do with the pnd format .. sounds like a toolchain issue, or a porting issue, or anything but :)

Anyway, pnd's are not perfect, but if anyone cares to ask, we have reasons for most of why thing were done the way they were; and certainly, any 'early spec' has to be simple and grow; it has to succeed at its goals, and be designed loose enough to allow for growth, for component replacement, and so on; no spec, not one, is ever perfect day one, or day two, or day thrree.. just down the road, after evolution, they get there. So the pnd format and syustem and toolchain ecology is day one .. it works, and works great for everyone so far, but its by no means set in stone or final. A lot of the code needs replacing, augmenting, and the format is alterable and updatable. But it works, is trivially easy to produce for many, etc. I think we did okay :)

But you're certainly allowed an opinion; heck, even without being informed, someone could hate it, and thats fair; and being informed, maybe you still ahtre it -- totally valid :) We could make a binfmt hack so pnds are directly executable without pnd-run.sh per se, or try to make versions that don't need aufs drivers (hard to build for some kernel variations), or could use zip's appended to the iso instead of raw appending files to the iso, and a lot of libpnd code needs rewriting .. but hey, its all out there and works, and done by people in their spare time, so feel free to jump in and help out :)

I did not mean to insult you, btw; I hope it didn't come off elite like that. It was just funny to see "I'm a noob" and then a condeming opinion. Its like walking into an art museum as a total art noob and saying 'this stuff sucks'; you're entitled to the opinion, and it shouldn't require great study to appreciate anything.. but comes off as a dick move, you know? :)

jeff

Back