When Making Emulators....

OMars

Website
Visit site
I know it's a lot of labour(for the europeans I changed the spelling)for you guys to create emulators but could you guys make it so your emulators support more than one system :huh: .

Example: NES and SNES :)
Example 2: GB/GBC and GBA(for the GP2X :p )

Also could you add more features to your emulators. I find that playing games you've already played is boring unless you add features such as GameShark/GameGenie support so we could spice things up a bit. :D

P.S. Again, I am sorry if I am asking for too much I know how much work it is! :D

Not being a dev I have the notion that if they COULD make multi-system emulators more often they would. Likely they cant because the code would become too slow if it were designed to emulate two very differnt system's hardware setups. Something that uses the same CPU would be simpler but something using hardware much newer than a privious generation becomes too complex to combine with an older version.

OMars posted on Sep 15 2005 at 09:52 PM said:
I know it's a lot of labour(for the europeans I changed the spelling)for you guys to create emulators but could you guys make it so your emulators support more than one system :huh: .

Example: NES and SNES :)
Example 2: GB/GBC and GBA(for the GP2X :p )

Also could you add more features to your emulators. I find that playing games you've already played is boring unless you add features such as GameShark/GameGenie support so we could spice things up a bit. :D

P.S. Again, I am sorry if I am asking for too much I know how much work it is! :D

I think you are asking a lot, it's difficult enough just to get the emulators working as much as they are. Most devs are trying to get their product to support as many games as possible, whilst refining the code so it runs faster. All this takes a lot of time and effort. Don't forget they are doing this for free!!!

I say, be happy with what you got. What has been produced so far is a superb, with DrMD, Doom and MameGP, you got soo many games to be getting on with. Why not try some games you never played before instead of playing the same ones over and over. No wonder you're bored :p

Last edited by a moderator:
How about creating a few seperate emu's (such as GB, GBC), and then making a seperate launcher app, so you just select your file, and it loads the appropriate emu?

Squidge posted on Sep 15 2005 at 10:41 PM said:
How about creating a few seperate emu's (such as GB, GBC), and then making a seperate launcher app, so you just select your file, and it loads the appropriate emu?
Yeah, thats the only way it could be done, as most systems are completely incompatible, and anyway why would you want to have twice as large emulators, just because it emulates 2 systems??!

Mame is probably a decent example here why it isn't good to emulate multiple systems as one emulator because it makes things more bloated and runs slower. This is why a lot of other Arcade emulators that target certain arcade boards such as 'Neo Geo', CPS1 and CPS2 (Final Burn I think isn't it?) in order to run at a decent speed on older hardware or faster on newer hardware.

As said, there wouldn't be much of a point in combining emulators of radically (or even moderately) different hardware. Furthermore, I'm not sure I would see the point of combining them in the first place :unsure:

LJZ is a perfect example of multiple emulators in one, but at least it does what I described earlier in this thread, and just launches the appropriate one depending on what you choose from the launcher, so it doesn't get rediculously big.

I don't see the big deal with multi emus either. Is it that hard to select from a launcher which one to run? You still have to select the emu module to run even if in one so I don't see the point. And if there is an emu in there you don't use or like then it is taking up space even if you don't want it.

OMars, will you stop asking for everything?
In getting a little upset about your requests, beacuse, requesting things is the only thing that you do.
Sorry for flaming, but someone has to say this.

another thing to think about would be executable size in the long run... if you were to keep on adding more and more systems the code and binary size would grow out of hand and you'd be left with a memory hog.

Sorry people, it was a suggestion not a request as k-teto put it, but what about adding extra features?(not a request, a suggestion :blink: )

P.S. WarmFluffyUK, good point but there aren't that many good game out there, there is only:

-Super Mario series :)
-Legend of Zelda series :)
-Pokemon series B)
-Donkey Kong series :D
-Final Fantasy series :ph34r:

Also if there are other series' that are any good please inform, that would be of much help! :D

Megaman Series
Chrono Trigger
Seiken Densetsu series(3 is the best out of the ones I tried)
Sonic series
Kirby's Dream Course
Kirby's Superstar
UN Squadron
Double Dragon series
Battle Toads
Tecmo Super Bowl
Mike Tyson's Punchout
River City Ransom
Baseball Stars
Cobra Triangle
Contra
Life Force
Jackal
Ninja Gaiden series
Sunset Riders
Bubble Bobble

Is that enough for you?

Suggestion, request, demand, whatever it was, it doesn't really matter. There's no point in making one emulator support multiple systems. It would just make you go thru more menu crap and slow the programs down.

OMars posted on Sep 16 2005 at 02:25 AM said:
there aren't that many good game out there, there is only:

-Pokemon series B)

LOL! Oh man, that list is just pitiful. Pokemon! :lol: A few mainstream Nintendo games & FF, as if that's all there is. <_<

If those are the only games you know about, you have thousands of great games for many systems and eras yet to try. Really, way too many to even list. But you should start learning about all the games for systems by companies like Sega, NEC, SNK, Atari etc. Not to mention arcade games & computer games. Literally THOUSANDS, and among them certainly hundreds of great games in many genres. I could go for years without touching a Nintendo game and have tons of fun.

Prophet posted on Sep 16 2005 at 05:27 PM said:
OMars posted on Sep 16 2005 at 02:25 AM said:
there aren't that many good game out there, there is only:

-Pokemon series B)

LOL! Oh man, that list is just pitiful. Pokemon! :lol: A few mainstream Nintendo games & FF, as if that's all there is. <_<

If those are the only games you know about, you have thousands of great games for many systems and eras yet to try. Really, way too many to even list. But you should start learning about all the games for systems by companies like Sega, NEC, SNK, Atari etc. Not to mention arcade games & computer games. Literally THOUSANDS, and among them certainly hundreds of great games in many genres. I could go for years without touching a Nintendo game and have tons of fun.

I totally agree with that with trumpets blaring... Go look at the reviews section of this forum, that may help them along :)

that's all you like? pokemon, zelda, final fantasy, mario, & donkey kong? ouch!

most games are really small, just download 128 megs worth, put them on your card and try them out! there's thousands upon thousands of great games!

for some suggestions on fun games visit the reviews section here or my website (link at the bottom)
or just visit google and type in "good gamegear games" or whatever...

Back