What's The Best Firmware To Use?

lancelott

I just picked up my GP2X again. It's a MK1 and I have the 2.0.0 firmware on it.

What should I upgrade to? 2.1.1 or 3.0.0? I haven't been able to find much on this.

2.1.1 because all that 3.0.0 seems to offer is a slowdown in the bootup speed.

Edit: And less features (lack of access to NAND from GP2X)

i agree, i had FW3.0.0 and the difference in boot time btw that and 2.1.1 is significant.

but make sure you follow all the necessary precautions before you flash!

peelie said:
but make sure you follow all the necessary precautions before you flash!
I almost ran headfirst into it.

Gonna let my Energizer 2500mahs charge up to full capacity first. I hadn't charged them since last year or so and then I did a week or two back.

My 2GB A-Data doesn't seem to work with it anymore. I tried FAT32 with 4k allocation and it doesn't see any files on it. Seems to work fine in Windows. I can use my 1GB Kingston Japan Micro SD with adapter though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shifty said:
Hey, does anyone know if there is a boot time difference between firmwares 2.1.0 and 2.1.1?
Yes.

Yes, as in I know.

... and no, there's no difference in boot time that I noticed. FW 2.0 was the big leap as I recall (as far as shortening boot times)

Shifty said:
Then whats the point of upgrading to 2.1.1 if I already have 2.1.0?
There are no points; everything is round

Edit: from the archive, and GPH's page:

This Firmware is bugfix problem 2.1.0 version. Detailed improvement was... 1)Fixed that During playing movie. speaker sound instead of earphone sound. 2)Fixed that During playing MP3. Randomly speaker sound instead of earphone sound. 3)Fixed that During playing MP3. Randomly sound halt. 4)Fixed that During playing MP3. Mono chanel dragging(?) sound.

... there, I did your homework for you, you lazy good-for-nothing-so-and-so! ;)

I have never had any of those problems listed with firmware 2.1.0...And if thats all that has changed then I think I'll just stick with what I'm using. Thanks for telling me anyways :) .

I can access the Nand from 3.0 but you are right about the boot time. it does suck, but not enough for me to switch back to an older firmware... yet.

I upgraded to 2.1.1 from 2.0.0 no problem.

Now I have to get everything as nice as it was before. And I'll check out all the new stuff I missed. PicoDrive, PocketSnes, newer AlexKidd2x, newer MAME, etc.

hm what am i missing by only using firmware 2.00
it worth me risking it, cos sometimes gp2x randomly crashes/ batteries fall away from contact, dont want to risk this during firmware upgrading, shall i just keep my gp2x as 2.0? dont seem to be having problems with any the newly released emu's

Fargo said:
Ok, but how to downgrade from 3.0.0 to 2.1.1?!
Apparantly you dont.

It is possible but another thread relating to this topic (which im too lazy to find) informed everyone that you can damage your GP2X doing this

Anytime you update you firmware you are introducing the opportunity to brick your device. But from what I have read... you would need to downgrade to version... 2.0 and do upgrades from there back up. I would only do it if I had my Gp2x on a A/C power supply.

Quoting Orkie from a previous thread

"Correct, flashing once probably won't cause problems but there is no guarantee of this. I had a totally dead GP2X after about 10 flashes (to give an indication of how little it takes sometimes), so flashing a few times probably won't cause trouble it is much better to avoid that wherever possible. It is not a 'quick fix' with JTAG either, it took me weeks to come up with a solution and about 5 hours to pull it off. It is easier now that I've done the initial work with the fixing tool, but this isn't publicly available and even if you did have it, it can be a struggle to get it loading sometimes over JTAG (serial may be more reliable, but if you happen to have destroyed the bootloader too then there is no way of doing that). I assume writing to the NAND normally will also cause these problems, but I've never tested.

This is a matter that needs to be taken seriously. Most people don't have the equipment or time/knowledge to repair it. That said, if something doesn't work for you or there are new features in a newer firmware, this shouldn't put you off upgrading as it is repairable. It's just too much bother for a downgrade with no real benefit"

I also picked up my GP2X-F100 again and my firmware is still at version 1.4.0 what is the best firmware to upgrade to?

I really like to know!

xampi said:
I also picked up my GP2X-F100 again and my firmware is still at version 1.4.0 what is the best firmware to upgrade to?

I really like to know!
Go and grab yourself 2.0.0 :)

Sorry but, I made a mistake my firmware is not 1.4.0 it’s version 1.2.1 is its possible to upgrade it to version 2.0 or must I first use 1.4.0. and then 2.0

Can you give me some advice please!

Back