Whats Craig Got For Us?

lucoxade posted on Oct 11 2005 at 06:05 PM said:
Oct 11th: Dev section will open soon, GCC4 is now working :)

A change to GP2X.co.uk suggests that craig has got something cool to show us I hope, can we post any screenies in this thread please please? :D

I was hoping for a bit more of an update :( Is GCC4 a linux compiler?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a Linux/Windows/Mac/whatever compiler :) Fully open source, so can be compiled for any platform.

i'm a bit confused by this all... Will the programs compiled with this still run with the linux kernel? Does the linux kernel in anyway hinder performance, access to ram or the second cpu? Or will they be produced alot like on the gp32 so the file loads and thats it : /

Craig has posted a new video on the videos page of gp2x.co.uk, It shows a 15 second clip of Mplayer playing Finla Fantasy Advent Children. Bear in mind a digital stills camera was used to record this so not great qualtiy, but its great for all us news whores!

Thats more what I was looking for in an update :D I cant wait to get my GP2X just to watch movies, I hope the speakers are louder than the PSP's though I wasnt impressed by them at all.

Digital Awakening posted on Oct 11 2005 at 11:10 PM said:
What's the difference between Dev-C++ and GCC4? Can both be used to develop for GP2X?

Dev C++ is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment, i.e. pretty text editor ;)). It uses GCC (or a few other compilers) to compile code behind the scenes so it is perfectly compatible.

unlucky posted on Oct 11 2005 at 07:30 PM said:
i'm a bit confused by this all... Will the programs compiled with this still run with the linux kernel?

Yes.

Does the linux kernel in anyway hinder performance, access to ram or the second cpu?

Yes. Linux does not like you accessing hardware directly.

Or will they be produced alot like on the gp32 so the file loads and thats it : /

We are working towards that.

DJWillis posted on Oct 11 2005 at 11:17 PM said:
What's the difference between Dev-C++ and GCC4? Can both be used to develop for GP2X?

Dev C++ is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment, i.e. pretty text editor ;)). It uses GCC (or a few other compilers) to compile code behind the scenes so it is perfectly compatible.

Thanks. I was unsure if Dev-C++ had it's own compiler or if GCC had it's own IDE.

Digital Awakening posted on Oct 11 2005 at 03:44 PM said:
DJWillis posted on Oct 11 2005 at 11:17 PM said:

Thanks. I was unsure if Dev-C++ had it's own compiler or if GCC had it's own IDE.
If you're working on Windows, I can recommend downloading the free C++ IDE from msdn.microsoft.com (I think they call it visual C++ express edition). You can then create a "makefile project" and use all the cool features of visual studio (typeahead, etc) and use gcc to compile. You won't get the integrated debugger and you have to manually edit the makefile, but I don't think dev-C++ gives you that either. Anyway, it's another possibility. Choice is good :)

Back