What's A Good Online Bank Transfer Site?

Prophet

God I'm old.
Website
Visit site
Went to my bank the other day and the teller seemed slightly confused by what I wanted to do. She said I could do an online transer via my bank's web account, but there's no bank->bank option there from what I see. Never did this type of transaction before so I feel a bit lost.

Any 3rd party sites to do such transfers from?

Time I just did this and stopped worrying.

Thanks.

If you've got an online account, look for the bit where it lets you pay bills. Generally, paying bills online involves setting up a direct bank transfer exactly of the sort we're talking about here, although they don't make it immediately obvious tht this is the case much of the time.

Effectively, you're just paying a bill that never reccurs.

Just received this info from my bank:

"(the bank) assesses a fee of $25.00 for each domestic outgoing wiretransfer. Domestic wire transfers require 3 to 48 hours to be completed. For international outgoing wire transfers, a fee of $40.00 is assessed, with a three to five business day to complete the transfer."

Lovely.

Surely there's a better (read: free or cheaper) way?

Tobriand said:
If you've got an online account, look for the bit where it lets you pay bills...
Hmm, interesting. OK, I'll mess around and see if I can do that. But it's an international transfer, so I'm not sure it will work.

EDIT: Nope, can't do it. Here's what my bank says:

"You cannot use Online BillPay to pay any company or person with an address outside the United States or its territories."

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd just wait until you get emailed a google checkout link, and use that, should be free.

parag0n said:
I'd just wait until you get emailed a google checkout link, and use that, should be free.
?!

I didn't realize that was an option?

How do I get that going? I replied to my refund email just before xmas, and asked how to pay by CC, but so far had no reply. So that's why I'm looking the transfer now. But yeah, I'm not paying $40 freaking dollars to my bank just to send this over. That's insane.

Prophet said:
parag0n said:
?!

I didn't realize that was an option?

How do I get that going? I replied to my refund email just before xmas, and asked how to pay by CC, but so far had no reply. So that's why I'm looking the transfer now. But yeah, I'm not paying $40 freaking dollars to my bank just to send this over. That's insane.

All you have to do is wait. They are sending the emails a little at a time, so you should get yours soon.

If you paid by CC, haven't re-ordered yet, and replied to the e-mail that you wanted to re-pay by CC, then you should get an e-mail soon with the google checkout link. from there it's pretty straight-forward. You could verify with the openpandora sales team that you're on the list to get one of those e-mails.

If it helps, when i went into my bank to organise a bank transfer, I was told that it was going to cost me £25. Which obviously I didn't like much.

I was told this by one of the public facing customer service tellers. However, I thought something was up, and i know that banks have a tendency to just omit things if its not going to make them any money.

So I went back to the bank and asked a different person (who I think luckily was someone a bit higher up) for a list of all the banks charges, when he asked why I wanted it, I explained what i was trying to do, and he told me that i hadnt been given all the information. He said that there was indeed a £25 charge, but that it ONLY applied if i wanted the transfer done within the same day.

If I allowed the transfer to be done over a number of days, ie (4-5) then it was free. But of course, they don't tell you that, unless you specifically ask.

Either go the google way or go back to the back and ask them about having it done over the course of a number of days rather than just within 48 hours.

- just to add, this was for within the U.k. so im not sure if you can still get round it for international transfers, but im betting theres still some way to do it. I just love beating smug banks at their own game, its almost recreational ;)

Prophet said:
Just received this info from my bank:

"(the bank) assesses a fee of $25.00 for each domestic outgoing wiretransfer. Domestic wire transfers require 3 to 48 hours to be completed. For international outgoing wire transfers, a fee of $40.00 is assessed, with a three to five business day to complete the transfer."

Lovely.

Surely there's a better (read: free or cheaper) way?
Perhaps you missed the fact that OpenPandora offered to take a hit on some of the fees? I got a $15 (50%) reduction on mine.

Back