What WM/DE will Pyra OS use?

ekke

Still Fresh
Will it be XFCE like the original Pandora or will it use something more touchscreen-friendly like Gnome 3?

XFCE4 is what we're using on the devboards, but since it's running essentially just debian jessie with just a pyra specific repository, you're free to just apt-get install Gnome3 or KDE if that is your bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using KDE4 and XFCE4.
KDE4 is nice, but if I need more speed, I'll switch to XFCE4.

i've used awesome before, and i'm using i3 right now.  certain things on awesome were better (new window locations were better ootb), and certain things on i3 are better (multi-monitor support, can switch to low-res screen without errors).  i kinda want something in between, something minimalistic, which doesn't even use a panel, so i can pop one of my own choosing in there.

i've used awesome before, and i'm using i3 right now.  certain things on awesome were better (new window locations were better ootb), and certain things on i3 are better (multi-monitor support, can switch to low-res screen without errors).  i kinda want something in between, something minimalistic, which doesn't even use a panel, so i can pop one of my own choosing in there.

Maybe you should take a look at evilwm, but i think thats too minimalistic for you. And because the Pyra will have Ctrl and Alt on the Shoulder buttons, evilwm will be my WM of choice.

Maybe you should take a look at evilwm, but i think thats too minimalistic for you. And because the Pyra will have Ctrl and Alt on the Shoulder buttons, evilwm will be my WM of choice.
I don't know if I have heard of evilwm (although I have looked into a variety), but I find the name to be suitable.  Think about it: DragonBox Pyra, running Debian with evilwm, made by EvilDragon (and others).

KDE (with some customization of settings) is my first choice, but I will be installing CDE and maybe something else that is lightweight.  I used to try a variety of DEs and such, but after a while I kinda stuck with KDE, so I am missing out on a lot.  I have wanted to try some tiling WMs for a couple years.  I doubt it will work out well with the small display and how I do things, but maybe on a laptop it would be ok.

I typically use KDE because of good customizability to suit my typical three-display setup, a couple of handy plasmoids and ways to manage the gazillions of windows from equally many contexts I typically have laying around :p. My fallback is i3, which I'll probably use on Pyra to leverage the game controls for window management. It should suit it better since I don't expect to have as much going on on it at any given time.

I was interested in ratpoison due to it being focused on keyboard use.  I don't need something like that really, especially if the Pyra nubs and touchscreen work well. i3 seems popular. Can someone offer a few suggestions for tiling WMs they feel will be a good choice for the Pyra, and maybe a brief explanation of why they may be better than others?

I was interested in ratpoison due to it being focused on keyboard use. 

I'm using ratpoison right now in my pandora and it is reasonable. I have the panel disabled (definitely not usable in ratpoison), but the desktop works ok. It is really  nice having all apps being opened full screen, and being able to open apps using a key combination, even from the sdcard. For example, for opening FireFox using "Ctrl-t e", I have in my .ratpoisonrc the following (yes, I know that is a rather old version...):

bind e exec pnd_run /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/apps/firefox-13.0-1.pnd

I'll continue using ratpoison in the Pyra, that's for sure O:)

familiarity for Pandora users perhaps?, what can openbox do that others can't?

lightweightness :p that something xfce lost along the lines
Maybe, but I still run idle on the devboard at ~100MBs, about 78MB on first boot with XFCE4 to me that's still fairly lightweight.

Maybe, but I still run idle on the devboard at ~100MBs, about 78MB on first boot with XFCE4 to me that's still fairly lightweight.
Openbox runs on twice less the RAM, and runs about twice faster as well.

Openbox runs on twice less the RAM, and runs about twice faster as well.
Without tweaking it looks like ass too... Maybe someone can come up with a nice default layout for it...

Back