what WILL void my warranty? evild please respond

b1llygo4t

iv noticed a few people with slight defects in their systems and are fixing it themselves. apart from mods and overvolting what else will void el warranty? i noticed there are no security strips or the like implemented, is it based on a visual inspection by OP if the unit is returned for warranty? if i install l2 and r2 buttons and my screen (unrelatedly) goes bad, will you fix it? should i wait til my warranty is up and spare parts become available before i "play" around with my system?

im still (becoming impatient) waiting for mine.

A lot of it is down to the integrity of the people who buy the device. If you do something with it you shouldn't and turn it into a cabbage, would you really want OP to pay for your idiocy? I'd say the majority of people who buy the Pandora know that the company is not the biggest and cannot afford to be taken advantage of. Even those who'd happily take something from a company like Sony or Toshiba would have a conscience about taking from OP. I guess it's a bit like the difference of stealing a can of cat food from an old granny, as opposed to stealing it from Asda or Tesco. That has to be the first time OP has been likened to a bunch of old grannies, I hope it's not the last, grannies are very under ratated.

So, use your device, do with it what you feel it's your right to do, and if you enter into a grey area then try not to make others pay for your mistakes.

EDIT: I promise you it IS worth the wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most common ways to void your warranty would be to either overvolt above OPP5, or to take the case apart and mess with things inside. In the situation you describe where you modify your unit and something else goes wrong, you still would not be strictly cevered by the warranty. However, if you were able to prove that the damage was not caused by yourself, then they *may* decide to still honour the original warranty.

Although, if you're the kind of person who is comfortable modding their units in such a way, then you might just be better off ordering a new part (in this case the screen), because it'd probably end up cheaper than the postage for an RMA and the additional cost for repairs if they decide that you have invalidated your warranty.

i appreciate the responses, but i would like a cut and dry response from OP, or a link to terms of the warranty

i appreciate the responses, but i would like a cut and dry response from OP, or a link to terms of the warranty

Would be nice to get an official statement from OP.

Craig quite publicly (ie, in a forum post) told me that it would be best if I fix my issues myself rather than sending in for an RMA, so I assume that simply opening the case won't void the warranty.

D.

By making an official statement not only would Open Pandora have to take good faith and user/manufacturer discretion out of the equation, but they'd also have to break the habit of a company lifetime. If they make an official rule, in the interests of absolute fairness it would then have to be upheld. And it would also have to be harsh - to guard against imbeciles they'd have to put EVERYONE off opening up their pandora, and that would mean a lot of sensible people would probably lose out on what has been great and sensible support. Perhaps you could ask more discreetly so the answer you receive won't have binding repercussions for us all.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, it's just that it seems to me they treat people very fairly. Unless you open up the Pandora and clearly damage something through carelessness, they are likely to overlook non damaging mods to the hardware (like shoulder button mods, if you destroy the shoulder button doing it they won't fix that for free, but if the screen failed due to something unrelated to that mod they will most likely have no problem). The official answer must be assumed to be "Don't open it, if there are any signs you opened it warranty is void". This is what they would be bound to say for fear of financial repercussions, as the situation stands any ambiguity is protecting us more than them.

I think the "official" ideology is this is an "open" device. Just be sensible and DON'T try to abuse the system. So long as you are comfortable opening up the device to make minor mods, and you are also competent then you can be confident that unrelated issues will be dealt with. If you are unsure in any way, DON'T risk breaking things. If you need a clearer answer from someone official (unlike me, I'm mere lowly scum) perhaps send someone with authority a PM.

EDIT: Craig obviously feels ZXDunny is not an imbecile with no experience (bet you're glad to know that ZX). I'm certain he wasn't suggesting EVERYONE is capable of fixing their own devices.

When I got my unit, the power port was buggy. It turned out that one of the legs on the port hadn't been soldered onto the pandora board. That was easy to fix. Now if something unrelated happened like I got the purple tint of death, I would hope that it would still be covered under the warranty.

By making an official statement not only would Open Pandora have to take good faith and user/manufacturer discretion out of the equation, but they'd also have to break the habit of a company lifetime. If they make an official rule, in the interests of absolute fairness it would then have to be upheld. And it would also have to be harsh - to guard against imbeciles they'd have to put EVERYONE off opening up their pandora, and that would mean a lot of sensible people would probably lose out on what has been great and sensible support. Perhaps you could ask more discreetly so the answer you receive won't have binding repercussions for us all.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, it's just that it seems to me they treat people very fairly. Unless you open up the Pandora and clearly damage something through carelessness, they are likely to overlook non damaging mods to the hardware (like shoulder button mods, if you destroy the shoulder button doing it they won't fix that for free, but if the screen failed due to something unrelated to that mod they will most likely have no problem). The official answer must be assumed to be "Don't open it, if there are any signs you opened it warranty is void". This is what they would be bound to say for fear of financial repercussions, as the situation stands any ambiguity is protecting us more than them.

I think the "official" ideology is this is an "open" device. Just be sensible and DON'T try to abuse the system. So long as you are comfortable opening up the device to make minor mods, and you are also competent then you can be confident that unrelated issues will be dealt with. If you are unsure in any way, DON'T risk breaking things. If you need a clearer answer from someone official (unlike me, I'm mere lowly scum) perhaps send someone with authority a PM.

EDIT: Craig obviously feels ZXDunny is not an imbecile with no experience (bet you're glad to know that ZX). I'm certain he wasn't suggesting EVERYONE is capable of fixing their own devices.

I'm not sure what you mean by "they'd also have to break the habit of a company lifetime." Can you elaborate for me?

I don't think we would have any sort of 'binding repercussions' because, at the end of the day, it's always up to OP to decide what is covered and what isn't. Couldn't they make exceptions as needed? Also, I disagree on ambiguity. I think it makes many potential customers confused and perhaps even put off. I think many people want to know exact terms before they get themselves involved in something. I think if this is a large concern OP can be a little vague and fill in the specifics on a case by case basis.

I mean, what is stopping OP from saying that mods are okay but breaking something related to the mod isn't covered? If they really feel that you can mod your device and something unrelated breaks, it's still covered, then why not say so? I know that they have said this 'unofficially' but why not make it official? I think if they want to be a professional company they should get these sorts of things out in the open. That way no one is surprised by what is and isn't covered. Besides, other companies hold this policy. I know Dell ships systems without a 'warranty seal' and will honor your warranty regardless of whether you've opened your system or not. Why can't it be the same case here?

The following is a quote from the Pandora "Hacker" Guide:

WARNING: Modifying your PCB is not covered by your warranty and any damage caused as
a result will be the sole responsibility of the owner to fix or to have fixed at a fee set by the

repair facility.

Furthermore, OpenPandora is bound by the EU's quite strong consumer protection laws, which put an implied warranty on normal usage and manufacturing errors, and puts the burden of proof on the company...

The following is a quote from the
Pandora "Hacker" Guide:

WARNING: Modifying your PCB is not covered by your warranty and any damage caused as
a result will be the sole responsibility of the owner to fix or to have fixed at a fee set by the

repair facility.

Furthermore, OpenPandora is bound by the EU's quite strong consumer protection laws, which put an implied warranty on normal usage and manufacturing errors, and puts the burden of proof on the company...

This is good but it doesn't account for any other part of the Pandora like the LCD, nubs, case, speakers, etc.

Also, I live in the US. Do the EU laws apply to me?

Also, I live in the US. Do the EU laws apply to me?
No, but they do apply to the team, which is why your suggestions about their handling of the warranty may not fly. (At least as far as my understanding goes.)

What happens if you only overvolt at OPP6+ for 30 seconds?

IIRC a man called Craig will ask you for your order number. :p

On the original question of warranty it would IMHO make commercial sense to have a clear statement of the warranty offered on the official website.

It would be one of the first things I'd look for as a potential buyer if I'd not followed the project from he start.

I've found the customer service, helpfulness with returns, no quibble fixes and dedication to producing a quality product from the OP team first rate, so why not clarify the warranty offered?

In case of an already delivered customer I think he will ask for the housenumber instead.

Back