What Will Be On The Back Of The Shell?

You definitely can take it to a place to get it engraved. That actually sounds really cool, so I throw my vote in for the "blank surface" choice.

The idea of having a custom-etched back is cool, but CNC/engraving shops cost quite a bit of money to rent and use, even for just a while, and even more dough if you don't know how to run the machine yourself. So start learning CAD if you're really into some random image on the back of your Pandora. :lol:

there will be text, and a picture.
Gentlemen.jpg

/thread

waffles said:
Gentlemen.jpg

/thread
... LOL :D :D :lol: :lol:

Even though it's personal I'd take that on the back of my Pandora... Haha

Last edited by a moderator:
How about they give you a little sticker book with the thing so we can put penguins, little cube logos, hairy men and chain smokers on the back as we please?

I'm afraid of stickers, but I'm pretty good at stenciling, so if its blank (and even if its not, probably) I'll be going that route. So long as I can find the right spray paint so as not to be sticky afterwards :p... Most of the things I stencil turn out that way, unfortunately, and I don't want a sticky pocket ;)

I think it'd be good to leave it blank.. and this wasn't originally my idea, but I'm planning on putting "Don't Panic" on mine..

Out of curiosity, why isn't the plastic just transparent? Wouldn't this make the inner geek in everyone happier? We'd be able to point to the processors as we talked about them~ No seriously though, if they did make them transparent, we could just put whatever logo we wanted on the inside and not worry about the sticker or paint coming off. (and do any engravings we wanted backwards on the inside and still have a smooth finish outside the case).

Maybe if there was an issue with light aging the circuitry they could just sell transparent backings that we could paint/engrave/sticker, and then put a layer of spray paint over to protect the delicate innards (but I would be incredibly surprised if sunlight was the issue).

And a transparent back panel would make the "add a solar panel" idea a lot easier (then the only big problem would be getting it wired properly)

DawnOfTheRent said:
I think it'd be good to leave it blank.. and this wasn't originally my idea, but I'm planning on putting "Don't Panic" on mine..

Out of curiosity, why isn't the plastic just transparent? Wouldn't this make the inner geek in everyone happier? We'd be able to point to the processors as we talked about them~ No seriously though, if they did make them transparent, we could just put whatever logo we wanted on the inside and not worry about the sticker or paint coming off. (and do any engravings we wanted backwards on the inside and still have a smooth finish outside the case).

Maybe if there was an issue with light aging the circuitry they could just sell transparent backings that we could paint/engrave/sticker, and then put a layer of spray paint over to protect the delicate innards (but I would be incredibly surprised if sunlight was the issue).

And a transparent back panel would make the "add a solar panel" idea a lot easier (then the only big problem would be getting it wired properly)
It's probably more expensive. Plus people who don't feel like modifying it might not like the color.

I seem to remember several threads about painting the GP2X, so I think it would not be too hard to paint the Pandora, given the right materials.

I would recommend to anyone who doesn't want to go to the trouble of engraving to just use a stencil. Cardboard or posterboard will work, cut out your design, get spraypaint of your color, acrylic, and glossy finish and apply them. It looks really nice if you use quality spraypaint and finish, finish is especially important so that it wont come off.

PoisonedV said:
I would recommend to anyone who doesn't want to go to the trouble of engraving to just use a stencil. Cardboard or posterboard will work, cut out your design, get spraypaint of your color, acrylic, and glossy finish and apply them. It looks really nice if you use quality spraypaint and finish, finish is especially important so that it wont come off.
From one who has stenciled a lot in my time, I'd recommend the thickest single-ply posterboard... I think all mine were done on 7.5 point? I don't remember. Regardless, you could also get away with using plastic. Thicker than, say a bag of crisps, but thinner than a gallon of milk... Ya follow?

You can get pretty detailed using an X-Acto knife, and if you aren't willing to do it freehand you can make a design on your PC, resize it for the Pandora, print it and trace it.

I'm not too steady-handed with spray-paints and other such things, and I've had no luck finding anyplace that would do laser-etching here, so I'd be more likely to go with some sort of custom die-cut adhesive vinyl design, if I do any customising.

Or maybe I'll just get something like this. :p

craigix said:
How about Churchill fighting Hitler, like an actual fist fight, anime style?

Maybe like Churchill doing a knockout blow, smashing Hitlers teeth out?

I don't really know how that would tie in to anything, I just think it would look awesome.
I want an image of Churchill and Hitler, Beating the crap out of each other.
(Preferably on DS Nerf armor if that fits)

Since someone has already fulfilled Godwin's law, I'm getting Horst Wessel punching Dick Cheney (or maybe Stalin, possibly Che) in the balls.

imec said:
Since someone has already fulfilled Godwin's law, I'm getting Horst Wessel punching Dick Cheney (or maybe Stalin, possibly Che) in the balls.
You are mistaken, No comparison occurred and thus the law was not invoked.

PS: Anyone know about moding Nerf armor?

waffles said:
Gentlemen.jpg

/thread
The Pandora is not powerful enough to run TF2; thus that logo would make no sense. Counterpoint!

mentlegen.png

KRH said:
craigix said:
How about Churchill fighting Hitler, like an actual fist fight, anime style?

Maybe like Churchill doing a knockout blow, smashing Hitlers teeth out?

I don't really know how that would tie in to anything, I just think it would look awesome.
I want an image of Churchill and Hitler, Beating the crap out of each other.
(Preferably on DS Nerf armor if that fits)

And I say once again!

1-2.jpg

I never noticed, but Bucky looks kinda... huh...

Back