How Much Pressure Can The Case Withstand?

Quizzor said:
My third NDS just cracked. The case is somewhat flimsy, cracks easy, and then the LCD screen gets broken. Fortunately I bought them used for under 50$ each. I got a PSP with an aftermarket transparent outer shell that also covers the screen. Seems impossible to break this brick.

How much pressure can the Pandora case withstand? The weak point on the NDS seems to be the upper half. I'm afraid my Pandora will end up with a cracked top half and a ruined LCD. How much do replacement screens cost? The pandora is reliant on a touchscreen, so I can't get an outer aftermarket shell.

Also, the pandora is not touchscreen reliant. You can use pretty much everything without touch..

Even the desktop (xfce) can be oeprated without touchscreen, and you could flip to nubs-as-mouse mode as well.

Or use another menu which is pure d-pad/button based (my new minimenu is, and I think pmenu is fine that way too.)

So no worries about touch :)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
> "The pandora is reliant on a touchscreen, so I can't get an outer aftermarket shell."

I'm not sure how these things relate to each other anyway. An aftermarket shell (if it existed) wouldn't cover the screen. Otherwise, how would you close it?

Dont treat the Pandora the way you treat a DS. They're just not built the same. the DS lite was make to be abused by kids if the screen cracked then that means it was treated worse than Nintendo expected a 10 year old to treat it. The pandora was made with function in mind not durability beyond reasonable use. Get a nice soft case for it and baby it because the worst part is you simply wont ever want to have to get it fixed or replaced because of the relative headaches involved in it or the price.

One other thing to consider. Reports of multiple systems cracking aside, the DS really has a less than 1% failure rate. Imagine out of the first 4000 Pandoras, 4 of them have a flaw that causes them to crack. To me, that is an acceptable number. The problem is that Nintendo has sold almost 100 million DS lites (over 100 million of the original DSs), so that 4 becomes 100000 or so, and if even 1% of those complain, you've got 1000 reports on the internet of hinges breaking, which makes it sound like a lot.
In the end, the DS hinge "problem" isn't really a problem, it's a statistically small issue, and I suspect the Pandora will have an equal if not better failure rate.

Back