What was your first computer?

My first computer was an IBM PS/2 Model 80. That thing weighed a ton.

16MHz 386

2Mb RAM

20Mb SCSI Hard Drive

and a frakkin MCA bus, so impossible to upgrade, that and you had to have a special floppy to access the BIOS, which I had lost.

I still remember installing Windows 95 from 26 floppy disks and it took almost exactly 8 hours from first boot to install to first complete boot after completed install

Nice first machine there NotJimCarey.

The MCA (Micro Channel Architecture) Bus actually meant your computer was very upgradable.

Things may have been impossibly expensive but you could get CPU/Memory/Network Cards.

I have a couple IBM Portable PS/2 P70 computers one with a Kingston MCMaster CPU card with a 486DX CPU, 32MB RAM and a Ethernet Card.

Runs DOS/ WFW 3.11

Those MCA setup floppies were a pain and if you ever stuck them into a normal Windows machine they would no longer work in the PS/2.

Well, that's more what I meant. I was 14 and there was no way I could afford the upgrades. I eventually did find a computer repair store that had a setup floppy though, right before I sold him the computer.

The first one I played was my older brother's Vic 20, then we got his Spectrum 48k as a hand me down, but I guess the first one that was actually bought specifically for me was the Spectrum 128k, which we got when my twin picked up the 48k and bit into the corner of it in a fit of wild rage, breaking it.

Your twin brother/sister bit the computer? And it broke? haha, those are some strong teeth he/she must have....

The first one I played was my older brother's Vic 20, then we got his Spectrum 48k as a hand me down, but I guess the first one that was actually bought specifically for me was the Spectrum 128k, which we got when my twin picked up the 48k and bit into the corner of it in a fit of wild rage, breaking it.

Your twin brother/sister bit the computer? And it broke? haha, those are some strong teeth he/she must have....
And speccys had crappy build quality.It wasn't uncommon to see some held together with sellotape.Edit Im guessing that speccy wasn't plugged in when the twin bit it.That would have been truly shocking.

Well, the first computer in my family was a Commodore 64, but it was given to my aunt before I was born, or at least before I was old enough to know what it was. We also had a VIC 20, which was also given to my aunt, who's cat promptly ssprayed the keyboard. Now it's mine again, but it still reeks when I turn it on. The first computer I can remember using is our ACI Turbo, which we still own.

MSX.Software was very thin on the ground when I got this,It was a real challenge finding stuff.

This is the model I owned.

http://retrovideogam...ems.com/page/2/

I remember really wanting MSX2 but it wasn't sold in this country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oric-1 FTW! I didn't get an Atmos, though, until 2 years ago .. when I bought 5 of them! Oh, and a Telestrat. :)

Games machine was a radofin bat&ball 10 game cart thing. Analogue joysticks :D

My bro got a ZX81 and had it for six months before he sold it on

I got a C64 in the mid eighties for Xmas. It was second hand and came with lots of copied games (yup! strip poker was there)

It's a fine introduction to how computers work that is sadly lacking with todays users. Don't know what a disk is, how files are stored

Poor Basic v2 meant you had to learn about the hardware to do anything & everything was memory mapped so lots of peek-ing and poke-ing.

Upgraded to real CN2 tape deck after many button failures and replacement hacks, datel Action Replay cart gave -ahem- insight into machine code and an Oceanic 1541 copy floppy drive later.

First computer I bought myself was an Amiga 1500, then PC's

I feel sorry for those brought up on PCs where nothing has to be solved, worked out or typed in. You want a specific piece of code. Google it cuz someone has already done it before. No more simple exploring to be done :(

Oric-1 FTW! I didn't get an Atmos, though, until 2 years ago .. when I bought 5 of them! Oh, and a Telestrat. :)

My mate at school had almost every 8-bit computer known to man (his mum and dad were loaded and mum worked in a computer shop). I remember the Oric-1 he had which I thought was a real curiosity with it's chiclet keys (not a million miles away from the pandora, in 'feel' at least).

I used to gawp at the Oric-Atmos in the local 'Laskys' store (whatever happened to them, I wonder) and I thought that it was a marked improvement on the original. My other mate from school used to salivate over it and how he would get it for his birthday (he never did).

First PC was a P60 with 8MB memory, 420MB hard drive. Overclocked to P66, it was a beast with Win3.11. Very powerful when we got it, cost about £1600. Still got the keyboard, it was really well made.

Back