What was your first computer?

I'd love to see a Dragon 32 emulator on Pandora, just to relive all those old classics like time bandit, cashman, beanstalker & all the rest.

I compiled M.E.S.S. for the Pandora awhile back, but can't seem to come up with a suitable front end for it. I guess I could PND up a picklelauncher around a Dragon specific setup. there's also XROAR which, as I recall didn't work right for me. I'll see what I can do.

That would make an old man very happy :)

Amiga 500. I went with my father to a computer shop that was in a basement at the back of some guys house.I was planning to buy a c64 before we went.Then the man showed me an amstrad 464 with a pole position alike game running on it. Then the man showed me the amiga 500 which i knew about from the nonstop telly adverts and dreamed about having.I never thought my father would splurge enough money for an a500.When he said do i want the Amiga i nearly shat myself.It was sitting there majestically running Shadow of the beast 2. I got the screen gems pack. Upon returning home me and my brother were slack jawed at the beauty of shadow of the beast. Prior to this i had only played intermittently on a friends C64 and he was stingy when it came to letting others play.Mostly i just sat there watching him play platoon and ghosts and goblins.Long story short.The amiga blew the C64 clean out of the water.
screengems.png

well I am young one, so my first computer was a pentium 4 1.8 ghz 256 MB of ram and an ATI radeon 9800 running windows xp

I remember when xp came out, I remember the coolest part about it was that you could just press the power button to turn off the computer.

you didn't have to go to start->shutdown and then wait for it to say " it is now safe to shutdown your computer"

I don't remember the details, but I'd say it was probably similar to T.T.s.

well I am young one, so my first computer was a pentium 4 1.8 ghz 256 MB of ram and an ATI radeon 9800 running windows xp

I remember when xp came out, I remember the coolest part about it was that you could just press the power button to turn off the computer.

you didn't have to go to start->shutdown and then wait for it to say " it is now safe to shutdown your computer"
That feature has been a round since windows 98 at the least, what really mattered was the hardware, If you had a newer ATX style motherboard, this standard came out in 1995, it supported software power off.. if you still had an older AT style, you still had to deal with physically shutting off the computer.

I was about 4 years old when I got my first computer for christmas, it was a commadore 64 (i cant recall wether or not it was a 64c or not), it wasnt brand new though we are taking about christmas of either 1988 or 1989 so as you can imagine the c64 was probably on its way out at this point and being replaced with amigas.

Anyway it came with a game controller (stick with a red button) and the unit itself with the tape deck too and loads of games (cant remember all of them) like kickstart, teanage mutent hero turtles (arcade), salamander (life force to americans) and thing on a spring.

I remember having to type "load" on the blue screen I think anyway and then pressing play on the tape deck, then seeing all those cool colours while the game loaded was awesome!

I remember my friend having one too but he had a game that was on cartridge (terminator 2, this was one hard mother f of a game) :eek: and it got stuck in the back of the c64 and you didnt even need to type load you just turned on the c64 whilst the cartridge was in the back and the game booted up (no load times).

aww man the memories :) wish I could relive my childhood again :p

A pong machine thing for your TV, or an Atari 2600, or an Intellvison, if none of those count then.....................

Spectrum 16K, only because the shops had sold out of 48Ks, it was taken in and upgraded

to a 48K within a couple of weeks :)

The hours spent typing in programs from magazines only to find that they did not work or you would

forget to save :(

Sold my original one, but have collected several 48K machines and other Spectrum models over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Casio FP-200 when I was around 10. The second was a C64.

Those were "family computers" though; the first machine I owned personally is the Athlon 64 x2 laptop I still use as a luggable (battery's not great any more).

A Speak & Spell, A TV Pong console and a C64. :)

Actually the C64 belonged to my brother (although I bought it from him later and I still have it), but that didn't stop me from playing with it. As I was about 5 years old I just learned which keys to press to make it do what I want. ^^ Only years later I learned that "LOAD" is actually an english word and not just some magical gibbersih characters I need to enter...

Funny thing about the Speak & Spell, as that thing was in english (obviously) and I live in Germany I didn't know what the silly things were it said... And when I learned to read I was sure, that english is really simple to speak as the letters are the same, just pronounced differently, and I went on pronouncing german words like they would be pronounced in english, convinced I was speaking english... :)

The first one I played was my older brother's Vic 20, then we got his Spectrum 48k as a hand me down, but I guess the first one that was actually bought specifically for me was the Spectrum 128k, which we got when my twin picked up the 48k and bit into the corner of it in a fit of wild rage, breaking it.

the 128k+2 ... grey one with the built in tape deck was my next computer after my zx 48k

real fond memories of that machine, bombjack and arkanoid were my life back then

Back