Gp32 Scene - Past / Present / Future

Max

Website
Visit site
Hey boys and girls,

maybe you have noticed that I work at Dreamcast-Scene, the guys who are bringing the GP32 / DC link cable out.

In 4 week we will finish the work on our "Dreamcast Demo Disc #01". More information about this disc here (including a FAQ which will answer all your questions): http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=46537

You know, I also wanted to add a menupoint called "Videogame education" where we present the user every time a new console / computer / handheld so that we "educate" some people who doesn't have a clue about a system and make it attractive to them.

To be honest, I wanted to start with the Virtual Boy by Nintendo but unfortunately the VB scene was very lazy and I haven't received any info within 4 months, so we have to use another system and the best choise was the GP32 of course.

I lost the overview of the scene, so maybe you can help me.

I need exact historical information about the GP32, when it was developed, when it came out, info about GamePark, maybe some pictures of their headquater. What has the scene done in the past, when did it grow, which cool projects came out at present, which will be the future? What happend to the 3D engines? I haven't seen a game using it yet, I also have no clue if the Europe launch with Virgin Play happend or not.

I really would aprishiate it if you could help me out on here!

http://www.gbax.com/gp32review.html
Thats the specs - Thanks to Craig

Although i am rather new to the scene i can tell you some of it:

Euro Launch- The eurpoean launch with Virgin is stll a mystery, but hopefully it will go through, There was another launch with Mitzu that was sposed to happen last year i think, in wich Mitzu back out of

There are still 3d Engines, Nin^^Nin is remaking an old RPG using Yeti, which is a engine absed on Cube, a opensource 3d engine. Yeti3d is an engine that is made for low spec systems, like crappy computers, or handhelds like the GBA and GP32

duno much else that i could explain without looking like a total idiot

I wish this would happen on the Amiga scene as well. Unfortunately, no-one seems to have any interest on the programming side of things. :(

By the way, nice to see the Dreamcast scene is still very active. I would still be owning one now, but unfortuately, my one broke through that common (boot crashing" problem that appeared on the first batch of Dreamcasts. Such a brillaint machine, tragically overlooked by other gamers, a real tragedy in computer history. I would have loved to have tried some emulators on that.

Bleh... I was going to write a large summary of the software I remember coming out, but I've realised I'll miss so much out, you're better having a look at the GP32emu News archives or the ones over here (personally, I like theirs better - done by month, even if not quite as complete as here).

So instead, have a look here for the information you're after. Before November 2002 I can't help you on at all though; that's about the time I joined the scene.

Key events though, would be GPEngine's release, JoyGP's arrival, the RF units finally turning up - and the FLU units likewise, around March last year ( ? ). LittleJohn, and the "wars" of the Nes emus (in a very friendly way typical of this fine community) - between fNES, LJgp, and NesterGP, which were all released at the same time. The inception and first few issues of GP32:zine, and then sometime half-way-ish through last year, the arrival of CaSTawayGP - and its beta-a-day system for about 10 days. Of course, the tragic occurrences with that idiot who released some private betas sans permission along with GPwarez that had happened a little while before. Then, since then, the taking up of the Doom source again by Craig and Rob, the release of its more recent versions (WITH save, doom2 support and music, no less), and MegaGP becoming JoyGP, at last giving us non-Korean people somewhere to buy games online from. Also, the 15-day competition. And, of course, much more recently, OpenSnes9X and KOF91.

Although there were a LOT more excellent software releases than those. Like I say, look through the news archives of one of the sites and see for yourself where we've come from and what we might be heading to...

Mmmkay, thanks a lot! Let's see what I think I will add to this report on the CD.

The beginning
- About GamePark Inc.
- Development of the GP32
- Release of the GP32
- Released commericial games

2oo2 - 2oo4
- ScummVM
- fNES, LJgp, and NesterGP (which one is the best of em by the way?)
- Mitsui announcment & cancelation of the Europe launch
- GP32:zine
- GPEngine
- CaSTawayGP
- ADiC competitions
- KOF91
- OpenSnes9X
- Big internet community
- Doom port
- Cool Doom WADs (there is Western... what else?)

2oo4 - future
- Paradroid GP (http://www.ishani.plus.com/gp32/ - maybe we can move it to "2oo2 - 2oo4" as well)
- Updates of OpenSnes9X, ScummVM, ...
- Sarien (I don't have a clue about this, still in development, will it be better than the GBA port, ...?)
- Giana's Return and the GP32 / DC link cable support
- General stuff about the GP32 / DC link cable
- GPLinux
- VBA32 (fast GBA emulation possible?)
- 3D engines

Good post Tobriand :)

As for the future, well when I joined this site, there were just about 300-400 users, now there are over 2000 :) So new blood and new coders should continue to revitalise the scene for some time.

Things that we can hope for in the future are: A 3d game to come from the yeti project, A version of SCUMM that plays most lucasarts (and others) games, including CD versions with audio in OGG format.

An MP3 player with visualisations, Close to full speed SNES, fast Genesis with saves.

A euro launch, perhaps with a few localised games from korea.

A new version of mame.

A port of the new integar version pocketPC port of quake (as opposed to the FP version of their source we use at the moment)

Craig releases hexen (or is it heretic...I always get confused)

New easy to use SDK (mirko)

finished port ofs of lemmings and metal slug

Completion of java environment with middlet/applet support

+more coding comps and homebrew

and loads of other things I can't remember right now. All of the above are either in development, or have been in development. And that's just the stuff we hope for/expect to happen. There is always the unexpected things that sneak up on you :)

khephren posted on Mar 3 2004 at 04:53 PM said:
finished port ofs of lemmings and metal slug
Alert alert!! Those aren't ports but clones with the ripped graphics, right? Nice to play but in my honest opinion not good to show off with ripped stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
ThndrShk2k posted on Mar 3 2004 at 02:23 PM said:
http://www.gbax.com/gp32review.html
Thats the specs - Thanks to Craig
Bah! don't listen to what craig says about the GP32... he sells 'em!

*Do* ask Graig if you want to know anything about DOOM... :D

--*edit*-- Littlijohn is the best nes emulator...

Don't forget toi mention Ryleh's Prolific Emu porting...

For 2004 I would definately include the GBA emulator that is discussed here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=7953

Also do not forget the c64 emulator, Frodo, which is finished, as well as fSMS (sega master system and game gear), fGB and the sega genesis emulator. Not sure if you sole interest is the homebrew community, but mayhaps a piece about the commercial games as well. Various firmware are sure to be made in 2004, some have already been made.

For 2004 I would definately include the GBA emulator that is discussed here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=7953

Also do not forget the c64 emulator, Frodo, which is finished, as well as fSMS (sega master system and game gear), fGB and the sega genesis emulator. Not sure if you sole interest is the homebrew community, but mayhaps a piece about the commercial games as well. Various firmware are sure to be made in 2004, some have already been made.

papapopalung posted on Mar 3 2004 at 01:04 PM said:
Bah! don't listen to what craig says about the GP32... he sells 'em!
lol, thats why listen to him so we can sell more ;D

Yeti3d Site:
http://www.theteahouse.com.au/gba/index.html
Catacombs remke with Yeti:
http://www.doomportables.org/~ninja/catacomb.html

Will this ever be released in the USA? Any word on that??
most likely like the other demo disc, it will be released at a show or somthing, and have the ISO online to download

and you should mention Yogg *.ogg player*

pip posted on Mar 3 2004 at 08:10 PM said:
I don't think we should include it until we see it running, same with Pirotic's RPG engine (although the early draft of that looked nice). The guy seems to know what he's talking about though

GBAX2004 soon, should see some cool stuff, zodiac/gba/gp32.

Check out the previous contests to see some great stuff.

And I must update the review with the more recent arrivals.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Back