What Tha Crap!?!

Knoxximus

Website
www.beat-tech.com
So I picked up the 4 GB AData 150x card, made a sweet, sweet directory for it, jam it into my card reader and prepare to format it. For some reason, my computer will only let me format it up to 955 MB.....what is up with that?!? <_<

EDIT: My 2 GB card reads as 1.89 GB in the same reader.....is the 4 GB card defective? Or am I hitting some sort of "wall"?

Are you trying to format it to FAT instead of FAT32??

Wasen't there a 1 gig limit on FAT...

Vimacs posted on Mar 12 2006 at 09:59 AM said:
I would say that the card reader just dosnt support over 2gb, maybe you can try another one someware?
or you have bought a cheapo sd card from asia, which actually is a 1gb card...

Last edited by a moderator:
Knoxximus posted on Mar 12 2006 at 10:32 AM said:
reputible dealer on ebay...
Isn't that an oxymoron :p

Seriously try using the GP2X to format the card. If it can read 4GB cards then it should work.

That card (AData 150x 4GB) works for me... maybe you should try a different card reader. I use a cheap "NoName" reader.

I had this same problem with the first 2gb i card bought from a "reputable" dealer on ebay. It's a 1gb with a 4gb sticker or on it made to look like a 4gb card when you first plug it in (there will be users who dont format right away and wont notice untill its too late), whether the seller knew this was the case is up for debate as the market will no doubt be flooded with such cards. Message the seller saying you received a faulty/mislabelled item and get a refund or a replacement.

Turambar posted on Mar 12 2006 at 09:10 AM said:
I had this same problem with the first 2gb i card bought from a "reputable" dealer on ebay. It's a 1gb with a 4gb sticker or on it made to look like a 4gb card when you first plug it in (there will be users who dont format right away and wont notice untill its too late), whether the seller knew this was the case is up for debate as the market will no doubt be flooded with such cards. Message the seller saying you received a faulty/mislabelled item and get a refund or a replacement.
Ouch. That really sucks.

My internal card reader had the same issue, 2 gig drive would only format to 1 gig. Probably a driver issue or something, when i plugged the card into my GP2X and hooked up to an older computer with USB 1.1 I was able to format it but it took like an hour.

A lot of cheaper card readers have limits like that, need to read the fine print.

lol, sucks to be you.

Only buy reputable products. It eliminates these problems.

BTW wtf do you need 4 gb for?

Ultra II 512 ftw...

benny32 posted on Mar 12 2006 at 03:21 PM said:
lol, sucks to be you.

Ultra II 512 ftw...
512? Thats it?

No, 2gb ftw.

Many emulators, many roms, almost all the homebrew games that I want to play I can have at once, plus the entire movie 5th element and dvd rip quality, and music.

How to fix SD card size format woes (Windows XP)

Right click My Computer, and hit Manage

Go to Disk Management

Get your SD card plugged in

You will (hopefully) see a bunch of unformatted space. Delete the partition and format it with all the space by right clicking the unpartitioned space (with FAT32 of course).

DONE!

I also have the same 4GB A-Data 150x card and it works perfectly fine at full capacity. My card came in a sealed A-Data package and it came PREFORMATTED. As others have said, either your card reader can't read FAT32 or the seller at eBay sold you a 2GB card. If you've got a 2GB card and are able to return it, you can find them at newegg.com for a real good price (that's where I got mine).

benny32 posted on Mar 12 2006 at 08:21 PM said:
lol, sucks to be you.

Ultra II 512 ftw...

What? How can you stand 512MB? I have a 1GB card and I'm already considering buying a 2 or 4GB card...

Anhaedra posted on Mar 14 2006 at 11:53 PM said:
benny32 posted on Mar 12 2006 at 08:21 PM said:
lol, sucks to be you.

Ultra II 512 ftw...

What? How can you stand 512MB? I have a 1GB card and I'm already considering buying a 2 or 4GB card...

Thank you all for your concern and advice, but all is well. Went out and got me a new "el cheapo grande" card reader and VIOLA!....problem solved!

And for Mr. 512, I don't know what YOU do with YOUR GP2X, but I'm all about games, emu's and movies, so the more the better 'cause 1) I am just that lazy and 2) knowing me, carrying a bunch of 1 or 2GB cards means that by the end of the week one or two of them would be missing. :D

Back