New Kind Of Sd Problem?

Butchke

Still Fresh
Hello everyone,
I have been lurking around the forum for quite a while quitetly.
Today I got my gp2x(you guys sold me :p) and 4gb Adata sd card.
I inserted the card in a Dell computer SD reader and formatted it(Fat 32// 3.73 gb).
When I plug my gp2x with the card and try to access it - it says that the card isn't formatted and asks me if I want to format it.
If I click yes, the format screen shows up and I can only format it on 955 mb.
I didnt try to click yes, because I'm afraid it will ruin the card, but I guess it won't let me format it anyway.

Anyone have any idea's?

Forgive me for the lousy english .

As much as I would want to, I can't - it's not accessible to me anymore.
Shouldn't I be able to do it with just the gp2x?

I've also had problems like this with my 2GB card, and the solution was to make sure the cable was firmly inserted! Must be a bit loose or something...

Its your sd card reader, get a new one, old ones wont recognize 4gb
only a few pounds

Im having the same problem, got the cardreader from ED. It would only let me format the 4gb card as 1gb.
On a friend's computer however, the same cardreader works with 4gb.
Now im wondering what drivers have to do with this, since i didnt install any drivers on mine or my friend's pc wich both run windows xp. :blink:

I also tried an ubuntu live cd later and that also read the card just fine.

Erm... are you guys blind or something??? Read troopers post... Butchke tried it on the gp2x and it doesn't recognize the card as 4gb... the cardreader reads it as a 4gb card and also formats it correctly... it`s the gp2x which doesn't read it at all...

EDIT: Spelling... <_<

How do you know teh GP2x doesn't recognize it as 4GB? via telnet and a df?

if so, try making teh filesystem with mkfs on the gp2x directly, it worked for me. My problem was that although teh pc formatted it as 2gb, it always showed as 1 gb full even just after doing so, no matter what tool I used in windows. Having no Linux machine at hand, I tried from the GP2x directly and it worked like a charm. I attempted from the windows box using several card readers and the GP as well.

How do you know teh GP2x doesn't recognize it as 4GB? via telnet and a df?

if so, try making teh filesystem with mkfs on the gp2x directly, it worked for me. My problem was that although teh pc formatted it as 2gb, it always showed as 1 gb full even just after doing so, no matter what tool I used in windows. Having no Linux machine at hand, I tried from the GP2x directly and it worked like a charm. I attempted from the windows box using several card readers and the GP as well.

I had this problem you just described with my card reader, formatting a 2GB card would always have only approx 955MB available. In this case I just did a fast format, and the whole 2GB became available.

@Butchke: I know you already said you formatted it on your PC, but are you absolutely sure that it formatted with the whole 3.73GB available on the PC? I only ask as, because I just said, when I formatted a 2GB card in my card reader it came up with only 955MB available, and it just seems too coincidental that your GP2X is reporting only 955MB available on your card.

Maybe try a quick format in your card reader, then see if your GP2X is OK with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This could be one of those Dodgey 4GB cards that format to 4GB on the PC but are actually 1GB. Or was that how they worked? I remember a number of people posting something about that here.

Thanks for all the replies guys,
eventually i'll just end up using external sd card reader...

Back