What Is Needed To Emulate Ps2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
palmertech said:
Exophase, are you kidding, or serious? I do not expect great results, but it would be pretty awesome if you even did a straight port of that emulator that you showed us earlier! If you need any flashy icon stuff or backgrounds, I can help. B) I noticed that you would rather work on the speed of your code before making a flashy interface, but a nice front end never hurt anybody.
First he needs to finish the software that warms the keyboard's keys pleasantly and makes the battery last for an infinite amount of time by charging itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
atomicthumbs said:
First he needs to finish the software that warms the keyboard's keys pleasantly and makes the battery last for an infinite amount of time by charging itself.
He also needs to finish writing that program that lets you use the screen as a camera. Then one that lets you use the mic jack for video in. Oh, and don't forget the "Read peoples brain using the built in wifi" program (I don't want to spend money on a separate dongle for that).

In all seriousness, though, someone should at least get some sort of proof of concept PS2 emulator. Exophase might not be the right person, but it would be nice to get at least a few title screens running at 0.5-2 fps (Enough to be able to detect motion so you know it is not a picture)

The most complete emulator (PCSX2) doesn't have dynamic recompilation for ARM. Not even a demo is feasible without that. Just forget about it.

I don't expect anything in the first few month, but look at the gp2x: It got an n64 emulator just recently, and everybody had said it could not happen. Of course, 2 demos at 1 fps is not useful, but at least it proves a point. I don't expect anything remotely useful, believe me, but hey, keep an open mind, we might be able to run a few demos by 2010. :lol:

Exophase said:
palmertech said:
You see! Exophase is actually secretly working on a PS2 emulator! Its the only logical explanation! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Scary stuff. Guess I'd better get started :(

Please make a PS2 Emulator, and a Dreamcast and a SATURN Emulator. ;) Not for real playing, 1 FPS would be more than enough. But this way all the "I want a .....Emulator" screaming will end. and every Dev can concentrate on real and realisic projects. :)

I personally think coding/porting a ps2 emulator for the Pandora (Even for a poc) for what you gain out of it (Apart from knowledge for the dev) is a complete waste of a developers beer drinking time. :)

Trooper

I hate when people say some psx titles are playable on the gp2x, while they don't admit mario64 is playable on the psp...

if you are gonna make an unusable emulator, don´t even bother. i'm willink to play some emulated games without sound, but playing it at less than about 18fps is just horrible in most games

trooper said:
I personally think coding/porting a ps2 emulator for the Pandora (Even for a poc) for what you gain out of it (Apart from knowledge for the dev) is a complete waste of a developers beer drinking time. :)
Multitask. Combining beer and coding is a guaranteed way of producing the slickest emulator ever. No one will be able to understand it the next morning, but it will run at 100% speed, with sound of course.

Agreed with Trooper here... at least some of the other silly suggestions (DS, Dreamcast, Saturn) are theoretically possible to get to a maybe playable state for some games.

PS2 just ain't.

Also, as a side note, there's no way Exophase would be porting one. He's mentioned before (several times I believe) that he doesn't port emulators - if he writes one, then it's from scratch. And really, I don't think that is especially likely, considering he's also someone who seems rather practical about, for instance, not attempting to build perpetual motion machines :).

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
I hate when people say some psx titles are playable on the gp2x, while they don't admit mario64 is playable on the psp...

if you are gonna make an unusable emulator, don´t even bother. i'm willink to play some emulated games without sound, but playing it at less than about 18fps is just horrible in most games
The difference is, some PSX4GP2X games run full speed with sound. Yes, they are the games that look like SNES games, but that's besides the point. ;) :D But yes, I get your point, and agree.

palmertech said:
I don't expect anything in the first few month, but look at the gp2x: It got an n64 emulator just recently, and everybody had said it could not happen. Of course, 2 demos at 1 fps is not useful, but at least it proves a point. I don't expect anything remotely useful, believe me, but hey, keep an open mind, we might be able to run a few demos by 2010. :lol:
I wasn't being serious... I thought that'd be pretty obvious, guess not. Of course I'm not going to port a PS2 emulator, I already said I hope no one bothers with this. What people have been saying for years about N64 emulation on GP2X is that it would be incredibly slow, not impossible, and that's what happened. It's still a waste of time. I'd prefer that no one did it because when something like this happens in the PSP community everyone goes nuts and starts talking about how this is the start of something great and just needs some optimization and it'll be perfect. Unfortunately, aside from being completely impractical the person who ports such a thing usually has no idea how to seriously optimize an emulator anyway. I personally don't want to see a bunch of stuff get stirred up. The GP2X community is generally well enough informed to know not to get like this but I have no idea what Pandora users will think.

It's well and good if you want to run something at a tiny fraction of real time speed, but most developers just aren't going to waste their time with something like that unless they're looking for attention from people who don't really know any better.

Getting two demos at 1fps doesn't prove anything. It's kinda like someone proving that the world is round 500 years ago. People who don't know any better but think this is significant, but actually people have known this for thousands of years. There's no good reason to believe that PS2 emulation wouldn't be possible on any platform that has enough RAM (a proof could easily be written up for this), but even if we don't believe that we already know it has been done for PC's. So there's no reason to believe that software written for PCs can't be ported to Pandora, again, so long as there's enough memory, and I don't see why 128MB wouldn't be enough.

"The GP2X community is generally well enough informed to know not to get like this" <- this is the only part I disagree with you. stupid people are everywhere.
but everything else you said is 100% accurate, end of story. :)

Emulation comes down to one thing really, how well the emulator is written.

A emulator written in pure machine code and just right may in theory deliver a almost lossless emulator, but the 50years or more it would take to get it that way wouldn't really be worth it.

If you had all the specifications for PS2 emulation on Pandora might be plausible (with playable speeds in your lifetime :p) but since you need to reverse engineer the system while adapting it to run on other hardware etc it takes years and then some.
Take wine for ex. that's not even an emulator but just the reverse engineering of a system API, granted Windows as a whole might be bigger that the PS2 system but there is also more information and specifications etc about it in general.

NO. What people don't get is that the PS2 hardware is ridiculously complex and powerful and will never be able to be emulated at aceptable speeds in something like the Pandora. PCSX2 has enourmous amounts of work put into it (REALLY) and it struggles to run on GF6xxx 2.4GHz dual-core PCs.

Tinnus said:
NO. What people don't get is that the PS2 hardware is ridiculously complex and powerful and will never be able to be emulated at aceptable speeds in something like the Pandora. PCSX2 has enourmous amounts of work put into it (REALLY) and it struggles to run on GF6xxx 2.4GHz dual-core PCs.
This man speaks the truth. Listen to him and let this thread die in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back