What Is Needed To Emulate Ps2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakshep2

Website
Visit site
Wikipedia says that the ps2 is 294MHz, and the ps1 is 33MHz, which needs a 600MHz machine to emulate it. does this mean for ps2 emulation i'll need 4GHz? or is this not so accurate? answers appreciated, thanks :D :p

It's never that simple. Clock speed is almost irrelevant these days.

The biggest problem is the lack of a good emulator. The best contender is PCSX2, but it needs very fast computers.

My computer runs FFX at around10-30FPS( i still play it tho), and its a dual core 2GHZ, so id say you ned about 3-4GHZ dual core(the ps2 has dual core), and a really good gfx card

The PS2 doesn't "have dual core", but it has two separate SIMD Vector Units (processors) that run in parallel with the main CPU (which is powerful enough already). Not to mention the graphics power as well.

trooper said:
To emulate a ps2, You need a ps3.

Trooper
The ps3 doesn't emulate the ps2 (At least not fully). All backwards compatible consoles at least have the ps2 graphics chip in them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goity said:
trooper said:
To emulate a ps2, You need a ps3.

Trooper
The ps3 doesn't emulate the ps2 (At least not fully). All backwards compatible consoles at least have the ps2 graphics chip in them.

It`s the best and cheapest option though, Apart from actually puchasing a ps2 that is.

Trooper

jakshep2 said:
Wikipedia says that the ps2 is 294MHz, and the ps1 is 33MHz, which needs a 600MHz machine to emulate it. does this mean for ps2 emulation i'll need 4GHz? or is this not so accurate? answers appreciated, thanks :D :p
Forget clock speeds, they are practically irrelevant when comparing two different systems.

The only situation where you can use clock speeds as means of comparison is when you have two completely identical systems that differ only by the clock speed of their CPUs. Only then it's a relatively safe bet that the one with the higher frequency will be faster.

yes, I am a dev, I just haven't been too open about it. I reckon I could get ps2 games (If i'm lucky, I dunno how ps2 emus work) performing on the pandora at about the same quality as psx4all on the gp2x the last time I saw it (~ 12FPS). so not really that good at all. the successor to the pandora should be sufficient for my needs :p lol

and BTW I'm just waiting for the console to be released to the public, and develop then. I'll have to make my own emu, because I suck at ports, and have startlingly little knowledge about them, as demonstrated in a previous thread somewhere. I'll have a try at a dreamcast emu, aswell, seeing as nobody else is gonna try to do one.
laters. :D

jakshep2 said:
yes, I am a dev, I just haven't been too open about it. I reckon I could get ps2 games performing on the pandora at about the same quality as ps4all on the gp2x. so not really that good at all. the successor to the pandora should be sufficient for my needs :p
Ummm... No way. If you were really a dev, you would know that you can't comare cpus like that. And PSX4All on gp2x can run ff7 at almost full speed for most of the game. If you were some sort of "Super Dev" that writes perfect code, is able to implement HLE, Dynarec, and a billion other things on Pandora... Maybe. Besides, I believe that the current PS2 emulator took a team of people who really know what they are doing a few years. Do you really think you can beat that? Also, ignoring speed, a port is generally FAR easier than starting from scratch. Maybe you can do little bits of programming, but there is no way that you are going to be the one that makes any sort of ps2 or dreamcast emulator. I don't mind answering the question sof, and discussing with, newbs (Not derogatory, just new people), but when they start acting like they really know what they are talking about... Well, it never works, Mmkay?

EDIT: Another reason that you are not a dev: You were the guy who asked for a port of Grand Theft auto: Vice City to Pandora. Linky: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=41710&hl
No dev would ever ask a question like that.

palmertech said:
jakshep2 said:
yes, I am a dev, I just haven't been too open about it. I reckon I could get ps2 games performing on the pandora at about the same quality as ps4all on the gp2x. so not really that good at all. the successor to the pandora should be sufficient for my needs :p
Ummm... No way. If you were really a dev, you would know that you can't comare cpus like that. And PSX4All on gp2x can run ff7 at almost full speed for most of the game. If you were some sort of "Super Dev" that writes perfect code, is able to implement HLE, Dynarec, and a billion other things on Pandora... Maybe. Besides, I believe that the current PS2 emulator took a team of people who really know what they are doing a few years. Do you really think you can beat that? Also, ignoring speed, a port is generally FAR easier than starting from scratch. Maybe you can do little bits of programming, but there is no way that you are going to be the one that makes any sort of ps2 or dreamcast emulator. I don't mind answering the question of, and discussing with, newbs (Not derogatory, just new people), but when they start acting like they really know what they are talking about... Well, it never works, Mmkay?

hey, chill out, I have only been a dev for 8 months, and so yes, you are right in the fact that I don't know what I'm talking about in some respects, I have only ever written one emu before, and I don't know what a ps2 emu takes. thanks for the info, anyways. Is a dreamcast emu worth trying? or is that even worse than a ps2 emu?
thanks. :)

Sorry for coming off harsh, at least you admit that you are new at this! :D It came off like you were saying "Well, everybody else says PS2 is impossible, but don't worry, I am a super dev, and can make it run as fast as PSX4ALL on the gp2x (Which is near fullspeed in many games). If you look around, you can see that there has been a lot of "maybe" on Dreamcast. Basically, you would need to have a pretty near perfect emulator to pull it off (Someone did a theoretical equation that asumed perfect emulation, and it was just possible). Of course, the same equation says that a perfect gp2x PSX emu could run FF7 at 60fps! :p So I would start with something easier, maybe try porting your emulator to pandora. What kind of emulator was it? My first emulator (And last...) was a chip8 emu. B)

palmertech said:
Sorry for coming off harsh, at least you admit that you are new at this! :D It came off like you were saying "Well, everybody else says PS2 is impossible, but don't worry, I am a super dev, and can make it run as fast as PSX4ALL on the gp2x (Which is near fullspeed in many games). If you look around, you can see that there has been a lot of "maybe" on Dreamcast. Basically, you would need to have a pretty near perfect emulator to pull it off (Someone did a theoretical equation that asumed perfect emulation, and it was just possible). Of course, the same equation says that a perfect gp2x PSX emu could run FF7 at 60fps! :p So I would start with something easier, maybe try porting your emulator to pandora. What kind of emulator was it? My first emulator (And last...) was a chip8 emu. B)
mine was a fruit machine (slot machine for all you yanks who don't know what a fruit machine is) emulator, never went public really, as I completed it just a couple of months ago and just wanted it for personal use. It runs about 70% of machines ATM. I made it because I was sick to death of downloading different versions of MFME for different machines and I just wanted it to be a universal emu for fruit machines. I'll get more used to the code and see if I can port my fruit machine emu to Pandora and ATTEMPT to make a DC emulator. It'll rock if it works! :D

Well I'm no programmer at all but comparing fruit machine emu with something like PS2/DC is in my eyes like pocket calculator vs PC.
Even if you were such a good programmer you still need great knowledge about how the console works. So I don't believe you.

But you can easily show me beeing wrong with your new emu of DC or PS2. ;)

Just know that though it would be cool if it works, speed is likely to be in the 5-10 fps range, and that is if you are lucky. Here is a suggestion: Forget dreamcast for know, it is really hard to emulate. Look at the emulator sticky in Pandora general, and see if there are any emulators that appeal to you that no one has yet signed up for. To make a dreamcast or ps2 emulator, you need IMMENSE knowledge of how the system works, and there are no open source emulators for either system. My suggestion would be to try your hand at a GBC emulator, as there is a pretty big hole in that category, and the effort would probably be appreciated. What language do you code in? I might be able to help.

palmertech said:
Just know that though it would be cool if it works, speed is likely to be in the 5-10 fps range, and that is if you are lucky. Here is a suggestion: Forget dreamcast for know, it is really hard to emulate. Look at the emulator sticky in Pandora general, and see if there are any emulators that appeal to you that no one has yet signed up for. To make a dreamcast or ps2 emulator, you need IMMENSE knowledge of how the system works, and there are no open source emulators for either system. My suggestion would be to try your hand at a GBC emulator, as there is a pretty big hole in that category, and the effort would probably be appreciated. What language do you code in? I might be able to help.
More like 0.01 FPS.

Eso Rimmer said:
Well I'm no programmer at all but comparing fruit machine emu with something like PS2/DC is in my eyes like pocket calculator vs PC.
Even if you were such a good programmer you still need great knowledge about how the console works. So I don't believe you.

But you can easily show me beeing wrong with your new emu of DC or PS2. ;)
Aren't fruit machines (real ones anyway) very heavily protected with strong encryption? I'm talking machines that end up in Atlantic City and Vegas, not those machines you see at hobby stores.
Why not port the fruit machine emulator to the gp2x?

Another problem is emulating a system that runs one program is much easier than emulating a system well enough to run every program ever written for it, all of which are video games. Many video games use complicated tricks that count on perfect timing and quirks of the hardware. That is why you see emulators for a system that runs one or two games that are far more complicated than a snes, yet we don't really have a full speed snes emulator. I'm quite sure that any experienced talented emulator dev could write a snes emulator that runs only 1 game and will run it full speed with no problem.

I don't think we are going to see full speed high compatibility ps2 emulation on any handheld any time soon.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back