Release What Happened To Openpandora.org / Gp2x.de

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Hi!

According to our hoster, our server did do a DoS last night (which is funny, since I couldn't find anything in my logfiles, rkhunter didn't find anything and no weird processes are running...) and therefore did disconnect our server from the net.

I'm currently working that out with them and we hope to be back soon.
Don't worry, I've got daily backups of everything... so nothing is lost.
It's just annoying.

I'll keep you informed!

Nightwheel said:
Did you check to see if there was a hidden virus on your server? Maybe somehow piggy backed one of the files you uploaded?
Yep, nothing special. I saw in the logfile that SSHD segfaulted... maybe that went weird.
I just made backups of every config files, databases and web stuff I had. Will restart the server within the next half an hour in normal mode.
If it continues to attack, I'll do a complete reinstall and put back the backupped stuff.

So it should really be back within the next 12 hours.

EDIT: Did some more checking... the server did start to send out approx. 72MBit/s (that's 9 MB/s) at about 11pm (Germany time).
When I download from the server, I get about 1MB/s, so basically, if 576 users started to download the HD video at once, we got that rate... could be easy, if it made it to one newssite...

So I guess the server is fine, gonna restart it now. Let's see if it keeps "attacking"

Last edited:
Probably was just everyone downloading the video :p . It's the biggest news we've had in ages (proper footage of the pandora).

notaz said:
Heh, this time we had benefit of these forums not moving to ED's hosting.
Hehe, yeah. Though thanks to multiple servers I have, I could quickly move to another one ;)

Back on the normal one now. It's not acting up, so definately no virus or rootkit... geez. We're gonna talk with the hoster about this, this is something he simply can't do...

Last edited:
Heh - looks like VLC makes tons of packets while streaming - and Strato doesn't like this ;)
Gotta move the video to my other server :p

Did I hear "proper footage about the Pandora"? :D

@ED: Those things happen :( good luck with it!

Edit: What about using Flash for video? I think it's not as heavy as VLC streaming

An idea might be to use a service like Amazon's EC2 to scale gracefully upwards - it might take a few days to set up to work properly, however. So with all the software development and packaging going on, it's probably not something to setup "right now" :)

Ouch. . . Now the temporary page says a rootkit's on the server. It sounds like the problem's getting solved now that they know what it is, though.

sverm said:
atomicthumbs said:
Try using the Coral CDN to distribute big files: http://www.coralcdn.org/

For that matter, why not Torrent?

Because bittorrent requires client software and doesn't work well behind NAT without additional configuration?

Because you can download something from the Coral CDN in a browser?

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm it sucks, anyhu I guess your isp has their own server for caching? Then hopefully you can ask them to copy it.

But it's weird.

Back