What Handheld Is The Best When It Come To Emulation?

What handheld is the best when it come to emulation?

• GP2X

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PSP

• GP32

• Gizmondo

• Other

• To early to tell

• Total voters

for me one of the most important emulated computers is the C64. I tried the vice emulator on the gp2x and got annoying pauses every few seconds when playing IK+, which ruined the gameplay and made it frustrating. How does the psp vice compare? is it better or does it suffer from the same problems?

However drmd was just brilliant and it's worth buying the gp2x alone for megadrive emulation.

Hirolaser posted on Feb 14 2007 at 09:37 PM said:
I tried the vice emulator on the gp2x and got annoying pauses every few seconds when playing IK+

That's an annoying bug which happens to me too, but only sometimes (and apparently only to a few people). It also happens on GPFCE. I find bumping up the clockspeed to 220mhz can help.

Also try Frodo2X, it's very good as well, and allows button mapping :)

However drmd was just brilliant and it's worth buying the gp2x alone for megadrive emulation.

Have you tried PicoDrive yet? Even better, believe it or not (not the latest version though, Megadrive compatibility is broken while Sega CD is being implemented).

Last edited by a moderator:
FQ22 posted on Feb 14 2007 at 12:58 PM said:
Wow, keep those comments coming. I think the GP2X is better when it comes to emulation. I hate that I need to skip the framerate on the psp to get the snes emulator working decently. I hate the firmware updates also.

Did you crank it up to 300 Mhz/333 Mhz(I heard the latest release of the main SNES emu doesn't like going all the way to 333)? Because if not, that's a lot like running the GP2X at 150 Mhz without the squidgehack or RAM timings and bitching.

NOTE: For those who do not have PSPs, they actually use 333Mhz processors. However, due to how much it cuts into battery life, by default they're left down at 222 MHz. Many emulators, and possibly some games, therefore allow you to increase the speed to 333. This is not overclocking in the traditional sense, as it is not pushing the processor past any normal limits.

Dont get me wrong GP2X has very good emulators and its a great handheld, I got mine over a year ago and for a long time I never bothered with my 1.5 PSP at all, GP2X all the way.

Then along came -OE but with time im sure it will swing round again, after all GP2X is the ultimate homebrew handheld.

yalborap posted on Feb 14 2007 at 07:15 PM said:
Wow, keep those comments coming. I think the GP2X is better when it comes to emulation. I hate that I need to skip the framerate on the psp to get the snes emulator working decently. I hate the firmware updates also.

Did you crank it up to 300 Mhz/333 Mhz(I heard the latest release of the main SNES emu doesn't like going all the way to 333)? Because if not, that's a lot like running the GP2X at 150 Mhz without the squidgehack or RAM timings and bitching.

NOTE: For those who do not have PSPs, they actually use 333Mhz processors. However, due to how much it cuts into battery life, by default they're left down at 222 MHz. Many emulators, and possibly some games, therefore allow you to increase the speed to 333. This is not overclocking in the traditional sense, as it is not pushing the processor past any normal limits.

Of course I did. It's not speed thats the issue. The sound breaks up when the frameskip is not used, and some games do not go as smooth. It's much better on the GP2X although there are some problems with this too but, only minor.

FQ22 posted on Feb 15 2007 at 12:44 PM said:
yalborap posted on Feb 14 2007 at 07:15 PM said:

Of course I did. It's not speed thats the issue. The sound breaks up when the frameskip is not used, and some games do not go as smooth. It's much better on the GP2X although there are some problems with this too but, only minor.

Never had that happen to me when I used my PSP for the emulation...Weird.

I don't know, maybe I tried an older version. Who knows, ever since I got the GP2X that's all I've been using only that for emulation.

Back