What Handheld Is The Best When It Come To Emulation?

What handheld is the best when it come to emulation?

• GP2X

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PSP

• GP32

• Gizmondo

• Other

• To early to tell

• Total voters

I have a DS and a PSP, but I'll go with my GP2X for emulation for a number of reasons: the EMU's are very solid up to the end of the 16-bit gen machines (my prefered gaming era); the community is very helpful and generous with it's knowledge (as opposed to petulant, childish and obnoxious, which seems the default mode on most PSP-centric forums); screen format and resolution is perfect for the older console and arcade game emulation (no wide-screen stretching or reduced resolution crushing required); and there's no need to "hack" the system, downgrade your firmware using obscure exploits, or invalidate your warranty to use EMUs on the GP2X. I've had the system all of two weeks or so, and I'm loving it!

Although some systems seem to have emulators which excel those available on gp2x, like psx emulation on pda's, it has the broadest range of them and some of them are of really good quality already.

2x ftw!! even tho the psp has more emulators, im starting to really hate its resolution and its deadzones in its joystick and d-pad. If your a psx junkie, then by all means get a psp, but if you like consoles like the Neo Geo, MAME, Genesis like me then the 2x is right up your alley

2x' because it rulezzzzz.. Psp is just to shitty and also too much easy to brick for nothing...
Sony is about probably to release a bricker for the user of the OE firmware..

Anyways, 2x for ever !

Hmmm, I had trouble deciding for a minute then, but I voted 2x ofcourse. The psp does have the advantage of full speed psx and gba. There is even an N64 emulator (more proof of concept than anything).

But that said, the 2x's lynx, spectrum, neo geo, megadrive, snes, mame.....etc is loads better and looks better on the 2x's screen. Plus I think we will get full speed gba when zodttd gets a new computer and time to do it.

And that point brings me on to the wonderful and helpful community we have and the talented devs.

Therefore, if you remove psx from the decision as its not really an emulator and sony developed it, its got to be the GP2X all the way :)

jimid2 posted on Feb 12 2007 at 04:54 PM said:
screen format and resolution is perfect for the older console and arcade game emulation (no wide-screen stretching or reduced resolution crushing required);

Yeah this is a big one to me. The stretching on the PSP widescreen just makes games too blurry. It looks so sharp on the GP2X that even games with lousy graphics like Odyssey II look good :p

Last edited by a moderator:
This could be a little biased on a GP2X forum.

I voted GP2X, it is the only one I have.
From what I heard it is easier that having to hack the firmware everytime you want to play on an emulator on other consoles.

GP2X by a country mile because:
- I don't own any of the other systems for comparison, have no urge to own a PSP.
- It does what I want with little hassle
- It does it well
- The screen really is perfect for this
- I actually like the silly joystick
- I think near-perfect GBA emulation is close at hand
- The SD card is a great choice. In a year they'll give them away in cereal boxes

markiej posted on Feb 13 2007 at 06:40 PM said:
- The SD card is a great choice. In a year they'll give them away in cereal boxes

Hell yeah. I just bought an 80x Adata 2gb SD for US$18, including airmail. The price had dropped over $10 just in the last month!

where did you get that?! well if the 2gigs prices are dropping, mabey the 8gigs will?! (ooo i cant wait till theres 8gig sd support!)

also, the 2x's joystick (even tho i hate it) is 100x better than the psp's dpad and joystick combined (so many dead zones :rolleyes: )

2X. nice screen ratio (Widescreen on a handheld... ? :S)
The emulators are certainly getting up to standard.
Sensible flash medium which is nice and affordable
No need to hack the firmware or mod the hardware to play emulators or homebrew.

The only other handhelds I've played emus on are the GBA/DS and although the emulators are very good there, they are not quite on par with wht the GP2X provides. :)

Gee i thought it was just me that had that wierd black ghosting effect on the PSP.Makes tomb raider impossible. See ebay soon for that one lol.

Any way i vote for barcode battler...er wrong forum....gp2x then lol.

Quote me you dogs!

It depends heavily upon what you're looking to do. The PSP just can't be beaten for PSX emulation with anything short of building a PSOne portable and using the actual discs and hardware, but the GP2X has some truly glorious stuff for 16-bit-and-down consoles and older arcades, and the touchscreen-based handheld items will never be bested for emulating point and click adventures.

Me, I have a GP2X, a PSP, and a PDA, so I'm good to go on anything, and the argument is mootied. :p

full speed psx, gba, cps1+2, excellent neogeo, n64 a prospect, whole host of others running at good or full speed, means for me personally PSP wins.
I do agree megadrive emu is fantastic on '2X and im sure snes will reach those high levels, but other than M.A.M.E. I dont see any emu that really surpasses anything on PSP.
Im really looking forward to SNATCHER mega cd though.

the psp for me tho, it just isnt a good homebrew machine with its awkward hardware (controls, screen), its a pain to get it running, and their to many damn firmware mods that i could care less about..... imo the 2x is way more emulation/homebrew oriented, it just needs its emu's more optimized (most are getting there) the only upside to the psp is its processor(s?) and commercial attention

slickjim posted on Feb 14 2007 at 01:10 PM said:
other than M.A.M.E. I dont see any emu that really surpasses anything on PSP.

Amiga? Atari ST? C64? There's quite a lot better on GP2X.

The latest CPS2 and Neo Geo on GP2X are just as good as on PSP btw. SNES is better now, and soon GBA will be equal.

Wow, keep those comments coming. I think the GP2X is better when it comes to emulation. I hate that I need to skip the framerate on the psp to get the snes emulator working decently. I hate the firmware updates also.

Back