What Goes On With The Xgp?

Rob

Website
Visit site
Has anybody heard something about the XGP after the design contest a few months ago. It is interesting handheld especially if Gamepark makes it also a cell phone but it just disappeared for a couple of months. Maybe they are just waiting the end of euphoria surrounding the GP2X launch among the community and they will strike then. Although that Craig said that the XGP is very unlikely to happen. Why? I just don't know but if someone does please post it!

The XGP seems like a PSP clone to me ... I like the idea of the wide-swivel screen, but the unit itself seems awkward and cheap.

Plus, it's closed source which basically puts the nail in the coffin for home-brew (unless it's cracked).

GP2X >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> XGP

And the controller is analog too. Not much good for emulators. If you want commercial stuff then the PSP is a better choice anyway.

GamePark says its to rival PSP and DS, and is for 3d, "high quality" commercial games, its not meant for homebrew...thats why we have the GP2X and GamePark Holdings :)

The great part of GP2X is just that it's not as good as a PSP. And with good I mean what the average gamer think is good. The average gamer (at least the hardcore kind) belive 2D is a thing of the past. 2D makes it easier to develop games for and there's a lot of other advantages with GP2X, esp for us indie devs.

XGP, from what I've heard, have an open SDK but I don't know about the license. What I want from the XGP is USB host so we can use USB stuff and link 2 or more units.

GP2X/XGP: http://www.gp32x.de/gp2x.php

Last edited by a moderator:
xgp is opensource too.
Gamepark said...it's price will be lower then PSP value pack.
and..xgp will be changed many thing because people think that prototype is too "BAD". :p

one of the main features of the XGP is the satelite TV service which is only of use to those in Korea.

Ultimately though isn't it just the same as the GP2X with a 3D accelerator integrated rather than a video processor?

i wonder does anyone here have same feeling like me that the XGP will be superior than gp2x by the terms of Emulator, video support....?

I know that this console is created to compete against the PSP,DS... but i bet it will not stop in that points but also to beat the GP2X in local market (Korea) since the gpx will also open source too.

further, both GP &GPH knew that Homebrew was ONE of the major parts to increase the sell. i think Gp will not let GPH take the place ....

Well I t hink of it this way GPH is a different company than GP... GP being the company that talked up the GPI and GP64 for months and all we got was vapor. If it wasnt for the fact that they have nothing else with the end of the GP32's life cycle I'd assume the XGP to be vapor too.

i think xgp will be vapor too. Too expensive, Too complex, Tries to go after the psp, No comercial games, no 2d Accelerator,...

it won't be a hit. If you want something like a psp, then go for the psp. Games are crap, but it have games, at least.

joan posted on Oct 22 2005 at 03:03 AM said:
xgp is opensource too.
Gamepark said...it's price will be lower then PSP value pack.
and..xgp will be changed many thing because people think that prototype is too "BAD". :p

Sounds interesting! I would really love to give it try if the result of their efforts is better than the GP2X. And the GPI was developed when GPH and GP were one company so they share the fault for it and if you don't think so just check on the GPH site in their company history section and you will see that they mention it.
Anyway I would hugely appreciate if the XGP has GSM functionalities because it will be very cool and you will have to carry the XGP everywhere with you. Plus except for the N-Gage no other handheld can make phone calls (yes the Gizmondo can send messages but you can't talk with it which makes its GSM functionalities pretty useless).

XGP isnt "opensource" they just have an open SDK, there still may be a barrier keeping devsfrom "touching the metal". I dont doubt there'll be emulators. But it needs a bunch of intested developers and very few people right now are interested due to the lack of info.

The DMB and cellphone features arn't too likely to work outside of korea so half the functions that make it so expensive might be useless.

Rob posted on Oct 22 2005 at 12:35 AM said:
Has anybody heard something about the XGP after the design contest a few months ago. It is interesting handheld especially if Gamepark makes it also a cell phone but it just disappeared for a couple of months. Maybe they are just waiting the end of euphoria surrounding the GP2X launch among the community and they will strike then. Although that Craig said that the XGP is very unlikely to happen. Why? I just don't know but if someone does please post it!

The XGP as concept does mean one thing - a must to compete directly with Sony's PSP. This would be a very difficult task. The Sony's brand is a well established thing. Even if you had lived under a rock for a last ten years you'd know what Sony is. Would you know what the GamePark is then? Surely not.

Technically the XGP might be superior to the PSP but it will not change all this I wrote above. For the same time someone is hearing about the PSP 1000 times he/she will be hearing about the XGP perhaps a 3 times at best.

It's not that difficult to conclude that the XGP to be successful an effective marketing is everything. This means a need of a big bucks to overcome advantage of Sony's brand. So someone very rich has to support the XGP. Is someone willing so? If not then oh well...

OrR posted on Oct 22 2005 at 11:44 PM said:
The XGP competes as much with the PSP as the GP2X.

What percent of PSP's units sold were to a hands of an emulation (or generally "homebrew") community?

We might ask the same question about a pc computers.

Imho a very small percent of PSP owners are interested in a "homebrew" developments. They're mostly just a consumers and nothing more. They'll buy a game from time to time, an UMC video but beyond this they don't care about anything else.

What percent of GP2x sales will go to the our community? Much bigger imho than the all others handhelds combined.

Imagine what would happen if the PSP sold only 30.000 units (the number the GP32 did).

We know much less about the XGP than GP2x however for sure it'll be more expensive to produce, much more restricted, it will have to be sold in a greater number to recoup its costs. To contrary the GP2x is far cheaper (both for a company and consumer), basically open to any developments and will not be (as GPH simply is not able to do this) subsidized. So when I preordered my GP2x I paid all its costs at this moment. When someone bought a PSP he/she just got the ticket to a future spending. This isn't unusual for a console company to sell units below its costs then make profit later selling a controlled content for their platform.

Back