Xgp Could Win The Handheld Race If...

scoobydew

Still Fresh
The gp2x looks great but if the XGP would do the following it would blow the psp and the gp2x out of the water, the sky, or at least off the desk.
p>-----------@#KaBLAM!!

1. Touchscreen(a surprise, yes, that even M Night Shyamalan would be proud of)--a common feature that few handhelds want to put in that would be a nice thing for those of us that like to enter data on the go). Would be great for some games also. :p

2. Clamshell design which would protect the screen and make it more compact(the nintendo ds has it right but it still is a bit too big). Seems a no-brainer but handhelds still look like the Gameboy Advance and are still so unprotected. gp32_console

3. Voice recorder which would allow those that need it for school, meetings, or quick notes or if you just want to replay an important conversation. "Could I get the large fries please".
Ah Nirvana. :ph34r:

4. SecureDigital AND CompactFlash slot for microdrives. Great for bringing movies with you when you want more than 2gb of SD space. Even though they eat power they still are the better buy as far as memory storage goes. Some pocket pcs have this(ie the dell axim series).

5. Keyboard Built-In. The few pics of the XGP show phone buttons placed under the keyboard. Well, if they ignored that crap and went for a full qwerty keyboard under there imagine the future. Internet made easy in a wifi hot spot. Mr Skin here I come. :eek:

All these features would bring in those that don't want to play games 24 hours a day and thus get a bigger interest all around.

Of course it would need to be open source like the gp2x but I was interested in the hardware for now.

I check out the new gadgets sites now and again and came across a new pda called the HTC Universal. It looks "somewhat" similar to the XGP pics so if they could pattern it after the HTC Universal with a Nintendo DS design(without the second screen) then happiness is not far away.
Do a google search for this HTC thingy and you'll see the possibilities with the XGP in the future. :D

the problem of the xgp is that it haves "just" 200mhz and is overpriced for what it gives, for 200€ i may take it.

Meh. If you were going to get that you may as well buy a PSP. It is what the XGP is trying to copy anyway ;)

going to be alot more expensive then its retail price if they add all that stuff.

A psp and a pda both are missing some vital things though.

PSP
A psp is shaped like a GBA so it is not very protected unless you want to use that glove they give you. It also doesn't have any way to input data other than the joystick method, which sucks. There is a vaporware keyboard out there for it but it's doubtful it will see the light of day especially if you need a homebrew application to use it which sony loves.
Also, no inexpensive microphone option and no cheaper media storage plus you have to convert your video files to mp4. Yuck.
I owned a psp and really liked it but I like emulation much more especially atari2600 games and nothing beats a round of TG16s Blazing Lasers.

PDA
A pdas few buttons really suck brass ones for gaming and you need an external keyboard to input long text plus no clamshell design(except the HTC which doesn't have a gaming joystick).

I already purchased a gp2x and am very happy with what it will do. I just think if the XGP has any chance maybe the options I listed could work if they read these forums. The touchscreen seems to be the one that a lot of people want though. That phone option it was shown with seems like such junk though even if you live in Korea. Seeing someone holding that black brick up to their face would be interesting to see though. :blink:

Unfortunatly they dont read these forums and don't care about making the XGP open, so as theoretical as this conversation is, it's pretty much moot.

Xgp Could Win The Handheld Race If...

Comes with a gpu OPENGL 2.0 ready with pixel shaders and vertex shaders, a free SDK with a physics API, AI API etc

Otherwise its on its way to get Gizmondo, Zodiac bus

the xgp is doomed even before its released as the gp2x does everything needed to give us the 2d system emulation we want. And the interest in it via the public, the devs and the press has sky rocketed recently and is going to be the homebrew handheld of choice, without question IMO.

And with the rumour mill already questioning if the xgp will get released then that just shows how wrong gamepark have got this.

No wonder some key staff buggered off and formed GPH - they could see this disastar coming a mile off!

hm ... maybe the XGP does well on the korean market ... maybe the tv-feature blasts the GP2X away ... but on the international market ... they don't stand a chance

Gruntfuggly posted on Oct 4 2005 at 03:56 PM said:
Can't really see the need for touchscreen and QWERTY keyboard - why not just buy a PDA?
DaveC posted on Oct 4 2005 at 04:02 PM said:
Meh. If you were going to get that you may as well buy a PSP. It is what the XGP is trying to copy anyway ;)
I want both in one device! <_< Why can't you f*cking understand that...

Last edited by a moderator:
While we're wishing, i'd like a 800mhz processor with a graphics chip and 128MB of RAM along with a 20GB harddrive on it. Oh, and i'd like it to be released with emulators of all systems made before 1998 running 100% with sound with saves and every feature we could possibly imagine. And all of that for just $200 US. Now THAT could win the handheld race.

The XGP is quite cool handheld but I will be adored and sold if they make it a cell. phone too. Because we almost ever bring our cell. phones with us plus I won't have to bring many things with me. I like the look of the new N-Gage QD Silver Edition but it is only the same old N-Gage QD with new vision so Nokia starts to loose the mobile games market and I wouldn't use a huge and ugly smartphone to play games with their new game platform solution. On the other hand we had Gizmondo which is a stable improvement over their only competition N-Gage but it looks like Quasimodo and I won't wait until the middle of 2006 for their widescreen and hopefully better looking version to arrive so if the XGP doubles as GSM we might have a pleasant surprise in the beginning of 2006. With its widescreen, probably decent homebrew scene, a nice Quake III Arena port and the few Capcom titles it is definetely a good beginning for a handheld with not grand pretentions.

XGP is already about 50% more expensive then GP2X from what I've heard, wouldn't be surpriced. Adding all that stuff would make it even more expensive then a PSP and who would buy it then?

As far as I can see it GP2X have the advantage of beeing cheaper and having a Linux OS. XGP comes with an SDK but how easy will it be to develop for it? With GP2X supporting SDL it's quite easy to start developing even if all you have is Basic or PHP knowledge, even Flash coders might find it easy enough.

or get your delorean out the garage, travel to 2015 and pick an xgp out of a bargain bin for a couple of spacebucks or somthing!

Trivia: in which film was spacebucks the currency??

Back