What Game Am I Going To Show Off The Pandora With?

MagicPants

Still Fresh
Website
www.scienceoftomorrow.com
Just something I've been wondering. I suppose it would have to be ported natively to the hardware so we're probably talking about open source here rather than emulation.

The most bang for the buck ports I can think of are Free Civ, Battle for Wesnoth, and that open source rpg maker that's compatible with rpg maker 2000. But none of those are really “wow” factor games. I suppose there are going to be some good death match shooters, but I can't really see playing death match against people on a PC, still they are likely to be impressive.

So what game am I going to show off the Pandora with?

MagicPants said:
Just something I've been wondering. I suppose it would have to be ported natively to the hardware so we're probably talking about open source here rather than emulation.

The most bang for the buck ports I can think of are Free Civ, Battle for Wesnoth, and that open source rpg maker that's compatible with rpg maker 2000. But none of those are really “wow” factor games. I suppose there are going to be some good death match shooters, but I can't really see playing death match against people on a PC, still they are likely to be impressive.

So what game am I going to show off the Pandora with?
I would imagine Quake III and maybe Stargus, if its ported. Maybe Sauerbraten too if thats doable...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a good 3D homebrew game that makes the fullest use of system hardware would be best.

Now: a fancy 3D Playstation game, since PS emulation is already fullspeed and it renders to Pandora's native resolution, meaning it will look like it was made for the system (no pixel stretching).

Later: Maybe an N64 game, if ZodTTD gets his N64 emulator working well. ;)

Maybe native homebrew too, but it's a bit early to speculate about that.

Cube, though somewhat dated, is very fast and already has an ARM/OpenGL ES port (for the Axim x50v). So I would expect that to be available close to release, if not before.

Sauerbraten is the successor to Cube, but some work would be required to port it and would probably require a good deal of optimization to reach playable speeds on anything but low graphical settings.

Apart from that, in terms of native games, Quake 3 and derivatives have been discussed. Also, I think the Kenta Cho shooters, while not particularly graphically advanced in technical terms, would be pretty impressive and could probably be ported somewhat easily (one of them, Noiz2sa, already runs on the GP2X.)

Lol, I bet that'll really streatch the hardware :p. How the fuck did you come up with that kind of name, anyway?

Anyway, I'd show it off with a nice flashy Playstation game.

"Pitfall!"

Nah, I'll probably show PS1 emulation as well, people don't seem to be that excited about pitfall for some reason

One of the WipeOut series on the Playstation emulator would look sweet and very fast.
Noiz2SA looks awesome on any system, just love the style of that game :)
For homebrew I would probably use either Warzone 2100, Nexuiz or I'd use some of the demo's they've made for the 2X (if ported of course).

pandora said:
Lol, I bet that'll really streatch the hardware :p. How the fuck did you come up with that kind of name, anyway?

Playstation wishes for games like cow suckers, pandora will have them.

JHeretic would look pretty nice, I bet someone has made a port to ARM (well, maybe not, but it would still look pretty good).

Video

Sphinxter said:
pandora said:

Playstation wishes for games like cow suckers, pandora will have them.

me? Oh, I look forward to it.

Anyway, I'll be playing more n64 than psx. Psx just seems more 'flashy' somehow (to show off)

Some PSX games still look fantastic. Some of those Square and Capcom games in particular, because they were both very good about cleverly combining prerendered visuals and real-time polygonal models.

FFIX and RE3 for example - combined with Tinnus' filters - will probably look amazing on the Pandora's screen.

But it would be a shame if all we had was emulated games to "show off."

I'm still hoping to see some original games (or maybe even Pandora enhanced ports) written for Pandora that show it off in some unique way.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Well, assuming we get N64 to work, that is...
N64 will work, as long as someone puts the effort into porting an emu. And trust me, an N64 emu will be ported.

N64 "works" on the PSP. It's not at acceptable speeds on the PSP, but seeing as how the Pandora has a lot more power than the PSP, we should be able to get it at very playable speeds.

The only assumption I was making is that OoT would run fullspeed. (which is an assumption that I did not state in my post, only something that I made as I was typing my post) And that's because I believe the Pandora will be able to run most N64 games near or at fullspeed. (Once a committed dev dedicates his time to optimization of an emu)

-God Ginrai

Back