Sierra AGI / SCI Emulators for Pandora?

thepook

Still Fresh
What with a full keyboard, I'm wondering if this could be done.

I know current AGI / SCI emulators do a really good job with the 3-channel sound from the 1987 heyday of this stuff. Anyhow, I'd love to be able to play the following in portable fashion:

King's Quest I, II, III, IV
Space Quest I, II, III, IV
Leisure Suit Larry 1, 2, 3, 4
Gold Rush!
Police Quest 1, 2
The Colonel's Bequest

etc...am I dreaming or, at the very least sans an emulator, would DOSBox be able to handle some of this on Pandora?

This is the kind of stuff I would really love to see.

I'm still kinda shocked that the scumm engine has done so many amazing things while a great, usable engine has not been fully implemented for these classic games that so many of us grew up with!

It would be amazing if a devoted dev team was interested in this project.

Imagine Codename Iceman, Conquest of the longbow, King's Quest 3, Police quest 4, Spacequest 5, Quest for Glory 2, Gabriel Knight...

Man, I would hardly ever see my wife again!

Yeah, very excited about this...

Most of these should be accessable via amiga emulation though... right?

Without checking each game individually, I would think between dosbox and amiga emulation every one of those should play very well on pandora. These were gonna be the first games I would try with dosbox.

w00t! AGI and SCI!

When I saw the pandora, I was so happy! Just because of the built in qwerty keypad and directional stick. Pandora is truly a wonderful device.

Waiting is sometimes hard...

ToodleBonk said:
Anyhow, I'd love to be able to play the following in portable fashion:

Leisure Suit Larry 1, 2, 3, 4

If you had a copy of LSL4:The Missing Floppies you'd be doing better than Al Lowe!!

Seriously though, I'd love to be able to dig out my old Sierra games and play them on the Pandora.

Oh yes. I haven't been playing Quest for Glory II on the GP2x for precisely this reason, let alone the old Space Quest games (which I've still to experience properly - I used to die a lot in Space Quest 2, and I still never got very far). Although I have replayed it recently what with the VGA remake finally coming out and all; still, looking forward to trying the parser version on a train on something with a keyboard at long last!

Most of the Amiga ports by Sierra were really naff lazy EGA versions, not optimised at all, sluggish, only later when some were ported by 3rd partys did they improve, best bet is use the PC versions...as much as that hurts to say :eek:

For those who aren't aware, FreeSCI has just been released on the GP2X by Hooka. It's brilliant - better than ScummVM in my opinion, although they do cover different territory. Should be a fairly easy port to Pandora... and Hooka has preordered ;)

Firstly, sorry for resurrecting an old topic.

But, after further investigation, I now realize that many of the games that I am most interested in use Sierra's SCI 32 engine. The games created using this engine were first published in '94-ish and include such greats as QfG III and IV, PQ IV, Gabriel Knight, Shivers and many more.

I don't believe that Freesci is able to run any of these programs and I now wonder whether the Pandora will be able to handle this 32 bit engine.

But... If ScummVM for GP2X can handle The Dig, Which completely killed my computer when it came out (seriously, killed it...unplayable), then there should be hope for the Pandora being able to play SCI 32 games, right?

Anyone have any info on this?

Edit: Oops, these games are all supported by DosBox. Problem Solved.

Related to this topic: anyone know where I can download King's Quest IV - the AGI (not SCI) version? SCI version is easy to find, but can't find the AGI to save my life.

(I've got the disks, but no 3 1/2 floppy...) :confused:

ToodleBonk said:
Related to this topic: anyone know where I can download King's Quest IV - the AGI (not SCI) version? SCI version is easy to find, but can't find the AGI to save my life.

(I've got the disks, but no 3 1/2 floppy...) :confused:

Sorry, this hasn't been released as freeware to the best of my knowledge so it wouldn't be in the best interests of the community to provide this.

cowgrado said:
But, after further investigation, I now realize that many of the games that I am most interested in use Sierra's SCI 32 engine. The games created using this engine were first published in '94-ish and include such greats as QfG III and IV, PQ IV, Gabriel Knight, Shivers and many more.
I
LOVED
SHIVERS

Wow, I had completely forgot about that game until now. Just did a little bit of research and it says the game ran under windows. I think that means we're out of luck.

edit: this got me thinking about Phantasmagoria as well. Ahhh, memories...

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra%27s ... nterpreter

Code:
SCI2

Often called SCI32 (along with SCI3), SCI2 (2.xxx.xxx) runs in 32-bit mode by using the DOS4G extender or by running it in Windows 3.1's Enhanced Mode. Most notable is the support of high-resolution 640x480 graphics, as well as better movie support. There are two known revisions, 2.000.000, and 2.100.002. Games include:

* Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
    * The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery
    * King's Quest VII: The Princeless Bride
    * Leisure Suit Larry 6: Shape Up or Slip Out! (hi-res CD-ROM version)
    * Mixed-Up Mother Goose Deluxe
    * Phantasmagoria
    * Police Quest IV: Open Season
    * Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
    * Shivers
    * Space Quest 6: The Spinal Frontier
    * Torin's Passage

SCI3

The last version, SCI3 (3.000.000) could not only run under DOS or Windows 3.1, but also natively under Windows 95. Games include:

* Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail!
    * Lighthouse: The Dark Being
    * Phantasmagoria II: A Puzzle of Flesh
    * RAMA
    * Shivers Two: Harvest of Souls

tl;dr
- "SCI32" is a term commonly used for both SCI2 and SCI3.
- SCI2 runs in DOS, and Win3.1
- SCI3 runs in DOS, Win3.1, and Win95

What I draw from this: You might be able to run some of these games in DOSBox.

cowgrado said:
Well, that answers the question I had just the other day: What engine does Shivers run on. Thought about it since I found the CD the other day looking for Sim City :p

Phantasmagoria! I used to love that game. I actually found my copy of tha game not to long ago and tried to install it to with no luck. (needed sound blaster - thers probably a patch)

I would love to see that game on the pandora. what are the chances? (cant look up system requirements, I'm on my phone right now)

why don't they make games like that anymore anyways? when Phantasmagoria came out, the "movie games" were like the wave of the future.
damn, now i'm going to have to dig up wing commander 3. marks big come back!

MonkeyChops said:
why don't they make games like that anymore anyways? when Phantasmagoria came out, the "movie games" were like the wave of the future.

Step 1: Buy PS3
Step 2: Buy Metal Gear Solid 4
Step 3: ...
Step 4: Profit!

:lol:

In my 25 year history of casual gaming, I have noticed a certain pattern.

As soon as the technology becomes available to make an amazing game in the way a company has already been making games, they move to a new, next-gen, process.

As processors became more powerful, companies like sierra could have produced amazing 2D adventures, but instead began producing games using rudimentary 3D engines.
As an example, instead of making Gabriel Knight 2 a 2D point-and-click, they produced a FMV version. Once they were fully capable of making great FMV games they produced polygonal 3D games like Gabriel Knight 3. It seems like they always want to be one step behind themselves.

Although, I suppose that is how the envelope is pushed, right?

And yes, Phantasmagoria would be awesome on the Pandora!

MINIMUM PC REQUIREMENTS
Minimum CPU Speed: 25 MHz
Minimum RAM Required: 8 MB
Minimum Hard Disk Space: 5 MB
Minimum OS Version: 5.0
Graphics Type: SVGA
Graphics Resolution: 640x480
Color Depth: 256 Colors

would dosbox handle this?

on a side note- did u know that Phantasmagoria was the first game in history to use the word fuck? man did they ever open pandoras box.
its only right that it makes it to the pandora.

edit- or maybe it was the first to have real nudity, I can't remember...
either way, we HAVE to get it on the pandora!

Back