What Do You Think Are The GP32's Limits?

What kind of emulation do you think would push the GP32 hardware to it's limit?

• Sega Saturn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DOS

• Super Nintendo

• Sega CD/32X

• Playstation

• Neo Geo

• Game Boy Advance

• Total voters

So many comments,so little time!

Adamuk:, a 040/28 is equivelent to a 486DX 80, and it has a FPU that quake likes so much (Iv'e got an A4000/040 as well, have you played Napalm yet?)

TeDaDes: If you mean bleancast, each game had a SEPERATE emulator written for it, that's why the full bleamcast was never released+it used the powerVR 3D functions to replace PSX 3D calls. If you mean the current homebrew effort, that only runs at 5fps. Check dcemulation.com for prgress.

Your never going to run saturn games, it has too many chips to emulate, even a fairly modern PC struggles.

PSX, maybe, but slow. 300MHZ pocketPC's can, and runs 2D games at between 30-40fps. using an upgraded version of our own CPU.

GBA, yes, but not a port, it would have to be handcrafted, and who has the time?

I guess the vote was set up by someone fairly young? because us oldsters would definelty have put the Amiga on there!

khephren posted on Feb 20 2004 at 10:15 AM said:
So many comments,so little time!

Adamuk:, a 040/28 is equivelent to a 486DX 80, and it has a FPU that quake likes so much (Iv'e got an A4000/040 as well, have you played Napalm yet?)

TeDaDes: If you mean bleancast, each game had a SEPERATE emulator written for it, that's why the full bleamcast was never released+it used the powerVR 3D functions to replace PSX 3D calls. If you mean the current homebrew effort, that only runs at 5fps. Check dcemulation.com for prgress.

Your never going to run saturn games, it has too many chips to emulate, even a fairly modern PC struggles.

PSX, maybe, but slow. 300MHZ pocketPC's can, and runs 2D games at between 30-40fps. using an upgraded version of our own CPU.

GBA, yes, but not a port, it would have to be handcrafted, and who has the time?

I guess the vote was set up by someone fairly young? because us oldsters would definelty have put the Amiga on there!
how old is the guy that made the topic??

i mean. i am 18 but i would never compare a gp32 to a sega saturn.

as for all of you:

DONT COMPARE THE GP32 TO A SYSTEM YOU NEVER PLAYED!

because its teh dumbest thing you can do -_-'

and i got a question:

HOW CAN YOU COMPARE A GP32 TO A PLAYSTATION? ARE YOU STUPID OR STUPID?

High speed matrix calculator
Clearing capacity: 66 MIPS
1.5 million flat-shaded polygons/sec
500,000 texture-mapped and light-sourced polygons/sec

oh...one more thing.....

THE PSX IS CD BASED. THE GP32 IS A 128 MB SMART MEDIA CARD BASE HANDHELD. HOW ON EARTH WIOL YOU EVER PLAY 500 MB PSX CD GAMES ON A HANDHELD WITH A 128 SMC MB CARD? TELL ME!?

i dont want to start a flame war here but c'mon why cant people think realistic? i will pay 1 million dollar to the person that can put final fantasy 7 on the gp32. oh and it has to emulate the psx. whats that you say? you cant do it? than stop crying!

Since i dont know how powerfull the amiga is i dont go there. but comparing the gp32 to the gba is more reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:
dragonforce-europe posted on Feb 20 2004 at 11:38 AM said:
i will pay 1 million dollar to the person that can put final fantasy 7 on the gp32.
You just wait until I find new batteries for my Camera.

Answering the question about size: Well, in theory you COULD replace FMVs and Sound with 0 Byte data, effectively sizing down without harming the program. But that is THEORY. In theory I could manifacture a shitload of VX and spread throughout this city here, killing everyone including and creating chaos in Germany. But that's theory. I'm not gonna do it. A PSX Emu is theory. Noone's gonna do it.

Mosch posted on Feb 20 2004 at 12:55 PM said:
Answering the question about size: Well, in theory you COULD replace FMVs and Sound with 0 Byte data, effectively sizing down without harming the program. But that is THEORY. In theory I could manifacture a shitload of VX and spread throughout this city here, killing everyone including and creating chaos in Germany. But that's theory. I'm not gonna do it. A PSX Emu is theory. Noone's gonna do it.
The problem is not that the game won't fit on the SMC, the problem is that the game must fit in the RAM.

Hey I voted GBA and I'm the one who set up this topic! :D I dont think the GP32 can emulate PSX either, but it's still a popular belief that it's capable of doing it, so I added it to the list. As for Amiga, I never had one. I had a C-64 and 128, but for some reason we never got an Amiga, we went straight to PC after that. Sorry about not putting it on the list, I forgot about it.

pip posted on Feb 20 2004 at 12:02 PM said:
Mosch posted on Feb 20 2004 at 12:55 PM said:
The problem is not that the game won't fit on the SMC, the problem is that the game must fit in the RAM.
You don't need to fit the whole thing in RAM. You just load sections off SMC at the same point the game would load off CD. Otherwise my old P300 w/32MB would never have played any PSX games either would it? And I played FF7 on it, a certainly didn't have 3 CD's worth of RAM!

The whole point is your PC could access the data from your harddrive and put it in ram very fast, SMC is extremely slow access speed and it would take 5 mins for every load. Plus 8 mb ram is not enough to hold the emulator and a game, a typical psx emu would take up half of that leaving you with 4 mb ram, i cant think of any good psx game that would run on that.

Like has been said hundreds of times before SNES, GEN and a big maybe on GBA is the limit of GP32 even talkign about modding a GP32 whats the point seeing as the dev scene is about making things that everyone can use.

To the person who wrote such big letters: I told in another post you can use programs like CDMage to rip data and make it small. It's all in the post. Compresss it with PocketISO and take away at least 50mb. Could you please read the whole topic, not just the person above you? :rolleyes:

ReZ posted on Feb 20 2004 at 02:04 PM said:
The whole point is your PC could access the data from your harddrive and put it in ram very fast, SMC is extremely slow access speed and it would take 5 mins for every load. Plus 8 mb ram is not enough to hold the emulator and a game, a typical psx emu would take up half of that leaving you with 4 mb ram, i cant think of any good psx game that would run on that.

Like has been said hundreds of times before SNES, GEN and a big maybe on GBA is the limit of GP32 even talkign about modding a GP32 whats the point seeing as the dev scene is about making things that everyone can use.
Sorry but that's not correct. I developed for PS1 and I KNOW that is incorrect.
The PS1 (ver.2) had a double speed CD capable of loading data at 320kb per second. The GP's data access rate for the SMC is faster than that. You loading it off a harddrive from a PC is neither here nor there.

The PS1 had 2.5 MB of RAM (2MB if sound is not emulated). Say you need double that for emulation space, 1mb for the executable, and 1mb for the rom (worst case scenario)....that's 7MB. Granted the GP may not be fast enough to run a PS1 emu, but COULD it run one?, yes.

Back