What Do You Think Are The GP32's Limits?

What kind of emulation do you think would push the GP32 hardware to it's limit?

• Sega Saturn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DOS

• Super Nintendo

• Sega CD/32X

• Playstation

• Neo Geo

• Game Boy Advance

• Total voters

I think a pure asm gba emulator if anyone could b arsed to code it could b quite nice. im v. happy with what we have tho :). without *too* much work (as in weeks locked away in a cupboard) we hav thousands of games, including some of the best ever to grace the living room.

But i happen to know a pentium 4 emu is under development so lets see where that goes ;).

I believe that playstation could be done, if only 2d games at about 10-15 fps, but I wouldn't mind playing say hoookey or castlevania at 10 fps. but it would have to be some heavy asm (please don't think I'm right cause I am probably not but if you want to prove me right you can :) ) but sega cd or 32x might be complicated as there are quite a few processors to emulate.

Just out of interest has anyone actually seen this PocketSNES GBA emulator?
There is a lot of difference between emulation and playable emulation. 1fps is emulation but would it even be used as more than acoding exercise I doubt it. I think I'll wait until I see PocketSNES with my own eyes before I start getting too excited.

If it does turn out to be a useful emulator I say we kidnap the coder, introduce him to the GP32 and see what he does with it :)

unlucky posted on Feb 19 2004 at 10:42 PM said:
I think ppl ask about it because of ps emulators on pockets pc's running at 30 fps you no the old final fantasy movie looking all cool :)
I guess they might hope for 10 fps or somethign
_WOAH_ I had no idea bout this... one of the Screenshots had MGS running at 56fps... ok I'm getting a pocketPC screw this GP32 crap :p

And DivadSci, if thats a real photo, then thats some REAL nice work...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm..... first thing I want is full speed SNES emulation. About pushing that baby to its limits... I suppose it would be the GBA. I also think it should be quite possible to emulate it, and I also think that sooner or later we *will* see an emulator. But I really think that's the limit. I mean, come on people, what do you need a PS emualtor for anyway? Suppose it would work, was 1 KB big and could play commercial games. Would you actually rip your CD to your Hard Drive, find sound and FMV (Nobody said it would be as easy as deleting sound.wav), replace them with "Fake Data" 0KB large and copy them to your SMC - to play one game at a time, using 5 buttons where the console uses 10, without ANY sound, music or cutscenes? Am I the only one to deem this a little bit of a hassle? not that I think it could work at all, mind you.

Booho, I want Amiga emulation so badly :( But it`s probably not gonna happen...

A dreamcast @200Mhz with a PowerVR + 8mb can do playstation
emulation very well. Could a GP32 @166Mhz without cool graphics-chip
run a few simple PS1 games? <_<
A ps1 runs like 25MHz or so, a GBA only at +/- 17...

And pc saturn emulation isnt very good, why would it be on the GP32 ?

blipped4 posted on Feb 20 2004 at 12:05 AM said:
I think that it has been PHOTOSHOPPED!

No, Printscreen-->photoshop(ctrl+v)-->jpeg-->pclink-Windups

Hehhe,Thats the way to get your Wind0$3 XP box on your gp!
i persih the thought of tricking all you fine fellows!!! well now im just mad and shall never release this to the whole wide world!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Bottomline:

The best it could EVER get is SNES/GBA emulation and thats with a lot of work, and even then the ram limitation is a big hurdle.

You will NEVER get a worthwhile PSX/DC emulation out of the GP32, it's not feasible and I'd much rather see the effort put into perfect things that DO have a shot in hell of happening. Either that or more original games that dont blow a load of the systems processing power on pretending to be a different system.

I really dont' see how people can think that the gp32 can emulate the psx, seeing as the psx is more powerful than the gp32...
Though, I wouldn't be suprised if we got half decent gba emulation near the end.

PSX and Saturn is not possible due to memory limitations. The Saturn for instance has 4MB of memory, try to fit that + the actual emulator + the game into 8MB ram. You will of course see that it is impossible.

fodra attendre la gp64 pour pouvoir pretendre émuler la N64 ou la psx(celle ci va en plus poser le problème du format)

on peut toujours rever

Someone should go a gfx chip mod :) If it was possilbe (enough space?), even an old PCI card would give it a huge boost (for emus/games programmed to use it)......

Hmmmm emulators heres the odd thing we all know the specs of the GP32 but i have been running a whole stack of emulator and ports on my 28Mhz 040 16meg ram Amiga ,Quake on AGA 256 colors i get upto 15fps compared to the GP32 133Mhz cpu Quake gets only 1 or 2 fps :( Dukenukem,Decent,Hexan and Quake2 all run on this very low spec Amiga ,maybe the GP32 scene should look towards the Amiga devs ?

Adamuk1 posted on Feb 20 2004 at 07:40 AM said:
Hmmmm emulators heres the odd thing we all know the specs of the GP32 but i have been running a whole stack of emulator and ports on my 28Mhz 040 16meg ram Amiga ,Quake on AGA 256 colors i get upto 15fps compared to the GP32 133Mhz cpu Quake gets only 1 or 2 fps :( Dukenukem,Decent,Hexan and Quake2 all run on this very low spec Amiga ,maybe the GP32 scene should look towards the Amiga devs ?
28MHz core, perhaps, but it also had 3 nice custom chips that let it do some fairly impressive stuff. Personally, I think that's got a lot to do with it.

Still, I admit Quake at 15fps is impressive for a 28MHz machine; it doesn't run at that on a 66MHz 486 lol!

Actually IIRC the Amigas chipset is a hinderance in 3D as it was designed for 2D ie smooth scrolling, sprites etc. I think you'll find most Doom clones and the doom port itself used highly optimised assembler C2P (Chunky to Planar (sp?)) routines that convert each frames PC gfx data to amiga type data then display it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Adamuk1 posted on Feb 20 2004 at 08:40 AM said:
Quake on AGA 256 colors i get upto 15fps compared to the GP32 133Mhz cpu Quake gets only 1 or 2 fps :(
The amiga has a floating point coprocessor and the gp32 does not, quake uses almost only float.

Back