What do people think of the 1ghz Pandas?

I guess my interpretation of take advantage was meant slightly differently. The impression I get is that you figure I mean is as if the opposite is "not screw over" but I was aiming for the opposite to be closer to "not utilise". The user base of the pandora will always be its strength and there is huge potential for easing the burden of cost of the project through utilising their gratitude and passion for the Pandora.
Ah! I understand, now. Thankyou muchly for shedding light on it. :)

I think it would be important to ensure that when testing a new version they only had to pay once through the beta version process i.e. pay for beta 1, have betas 2 through 6 and the final version at no additional cost. There might be some reduction but it would be interesting to see how reduced that might be. Besides, following the talk of 4 or 5 betas, I don't know how anyone could resist! I for one, as a rather non technical user, ususally try to hold out til the final version but in the hype and excitement can never resist downloading early, particularly when I rationalise the fact that I probably spend not far off that money for lunch every day.

Look - i'll bet 500 quid people pay such a premium for this device due to the no holds barred open source software.

Once that's gone people will go to android, ios or other closed platforms.

They would be better off trying to get devs to sell apps/games.

I think it would be important to ensure that when testing a new version they only had to pay once through the beta version process i.e. pay for beta 1, have betas 2 through 6 and the final version at no additional cost. There might be some reduction but it would be interesting to see how reduced that might be. Besides, following the talk of 4 or 5 betas, I don't know how anyone could resist! I for one, as a rather non technical user, ususally try to hold out til the final version but in the hype and excitement can never resist downloading early, particularly when I rationalise the fact that I probably spend not far off that money for lunch every day.

It's not really about how much $5 is. You're right that it's not much, and it's perfectly reasonable. What really matters is whether or not it would help OP, and I don't think it would. More likely, it would either result in people being pissed off or result in many people not upgrading the OS. In the latter case, the worst that could happen, like I said, is issues similar to the old bulging battery problem being left unfixed, but more likely, old software issues that are simply inconvenient would be left unfixed, resulting in reviews and word-of-mouth talking about issues in the OS which have long been resolved. Even worse, though, since the PND format sometimes changes and some apps might fail to support old OS versions, people who chose not to upgrade the OS several versions ago might get annoyed when they find that certain software just doesn't work for them, but since it apparently works on the newer OS, the user might blame the OS and complain about having to keep paying for OS upgrades just to keep using software on the Pandora, or just abandon the Pandora entirely. Of course, it might be possible to get the latest OS version for free from someone else anyway (rendering this response irrational) and there are a lot of "mights" and "maybes" in that scenario, but it could definitely happen, and I don't think the $5/user/update income would be worth this type of potential issue.

Making money from software would be a perfectly fine idea, but OP would be better served keeping the OS and its updates gratis, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Classic preorder here, still waiting for my christmas present for myself :D .

How much does it cost to upgrade my classic preorder to a 1ghz pandora? I read the posts by craigx and ed but I did not found that info.

This project affirms my faith in human nature.

Nice people will always get involved in things they are interested in. No matter what.

I'd like to see how these new units will handle a Dreamcast emulator
icon_shades.gif

Remember, that there is no emulator for the a1200 right now iirc, so this still needs to be proven.

This run of 150 is expensive, which is reflected in the price.
Seems a bit of an exceptionally high price if you ask me. I recall the new chip to be pin-compatible with the older one. The main change in the production process would be feeding a different set of POP chips into the machine. I would expect a difference of about $50-$100 dollars tops.

What makes this run so exceptionally expensive that it raises the cost to at least twice that amount? Are we talking $150 additional profit here?

I'm guessing its $75 for feeding different chips into the machine, and the rest because people will pay the extra and OP deserve to make a profit on something

I'm interested to see if some more dosbox games work... the first elder scrolls game could be playable... I won't hold my breath on dagger fall.

Might see some more games smooth out for saturn emulation although I'm pretty sure work on the emulator never left beta.

Doubtful we'll see anything that was unplayable magically become playable... but things that were borderline at least have a chance to be much smoother.

I'm guessing its $75 for feeding different chips into the machine, and the rest because people will pay the extra and OP deserve to make a profit on something
They do and I have no problem with that at all. But then they could just say something like "After all these years we finally want to make some profit out of it." I do feel as though the 1ghz Pandoras are being released a bit too early.

Anyway, a boost in dosbox and Qemu performance would be one of the nicer aspects of such a higher clocked unit. Is there any data regarding the impact on the battery life?

Back