What Should I Get With F200?

JogurtYogurt

Still Fresh
Where should I get the SD cards? What else do I need to transfer stuff between my PC and my F200? SD Reader? Also, where can I can get the NIMH batteries or whatever? Can you recommend a site with a particular brand? My final and most important question is where can I purchase a power cord? Every site seems to be sold out.

I just have generic Sandisk SD cards, one 256 MB, and one 1 GB and both work fine. Just buy them at the camera store if you're not too picky. Ofcourse the F200 supports SDHC so you might want to buy one of those, but unless you're going to stash a load of MP3's or movies onto the card, a 1GB one will be enough for your gaming needs and then some (in fact, I just use the 256MB one and haven't run out of space yet, there's only so many games you can play at the same time). An SD reader would help alot to transfer games and files to the SD Card, yeah ;)

I got my batteries again at the local store. Just pay close attention to what they offer. I bought the charger which had 2 batteries supplied with it and they were 2000mAh (Rayovac). Then I bought 4 extra ones which are 2500mAh (Energizer). I use the lower ones when the better ones are being charged :)

An official powercord is a rare commodity it seems, I could not find one either, but so far I have not been needing one either. I can see the need for one when upgrading Firmware, otherwise it's a bit silly to take away the portability out of the GP2X's equation.

Cheers.

You can pick up SD cards anywhere, online. Sometimes there's even FREE after MIR deals.

Maybe check out a site like RetailMeNot.

The only thing you need to know is, the F200 supports SD up to 2GB(not 4GB), and ~all(known) SDHC cards from common vendors.

As for batteries, I went with Sanyo Eneloops. They give about 3-5 hours of battery life depending on the game and clockspeed. They take an incredibly long time to charge, though; something like 8 hours.

No idea for a power brick.

The only thing you need to know is, the F200 supports SD up to 2GB(not 4GB)

My F200 is happily running a generic/unbranded 4Gb card, in fact it's the same card my F100 has used for months, without problem.

I bought the £14 adapter from Argos (apparently the £7.00 one has problems with the connection) for my F100 and that runs fine on my F200 too.

I got a Uniross charger (including four 2500 batteries ) from Wilkinsons for about £15.00.

All work very well (obviously if you don;t live in the UK, you'll have to look elsewhere) :)

I got my Kingston SD cards and Sanyo Eneloop batteries and charger from Amazon. They all work well. :)

Kramy said:
As for batteries, I went with Sanyo Eneloops. They give about 3-5 hours of battery life depending on the game and clockspeed. They take an incredibly long time to charge, though; something like 8 hours.
My Eneloop batteries last just barely 3 hours; it's on the short side though, but considering that I don't underclock as much as I overclock, I guess it's to be expected. The charging time for them is dependent on the charger itself, as mine charges them in just almost 4 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Manjuu said:
I got my Kingston SD cards and Sanyo Eneloop batteries and charger from Amazon. They all work well. :)

Kramy said:
My Eneloop batteries last just barely 3 hours; it's on the short side though, but considering that I don't underclock as much as I overclock, I guess it's to be expected. The charging time for them is dependent on the charger itself, as mine charges them in just almost 4 hours.

Just go to radio shack for a power cord. Thats where I got mine for cheap too.

I guess I am picky, because most camera stores sell memory for 2-3 times the online value (even adding tax and shipping you come out ahead, and the store is probably selling generic with no speed rating anyway.)

I always go Newegg.com (I look at Amazon sometimes, it is who has the best deal and that is usually Newegg for me, but I don't usually buy flash memory a lot), but that is only for the US, if you are outside the US I don't think they sell to you.

http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/com/CA2029.htm has a $3 (US) SDHC reader (no shipping no tax!), they work surprisingly great.

If you plan on copying a few hundred MB's of files (like video, loads of ROMs or MP3's), be sure to check what the SD card is rated, 8MB/s is fairly slow, 15-20 is pretty good. Slow ones work, they are just, well, slow.

Kramy said:
The only thing you need to know is, the F200 supports SD up to 2GB(not 4GB), and ~all(known) SDHC cards from common vendors.

No idea for a power brick.
making sure to kill this before it could become a rumor. The f200 (or patched f100) can theoretically support ANY sdhc card that follows sdhc standards. people have mentioned 16gb cards working.

my non sdhc Adata 4gb card works too though technically not fitting in standards of regular sd which are limited to 2gb.

if you want to be completely safe use a card other board members have reported to work.

I didn't want to fry my gp2x but getting the wrong unofficial one so I went ahead and got the official ac adapter (good for home play or tv out) through gp2xstore.com. only problem is that it needed a converter to work for us plugs (which it came with) but the converter doesn't really stick to it at all so I had to use electrical tape to keep it together.

yeah those cheap sd card readers from ledshoppe are great. some stuff there I'm not sure about, but those sd readers have been more reliable than expensive store bought ones, at least in my experience.

Wow. Thanks for all of the suggestions. Sorry. I did not respond quicker. I'm used to slow replies from other boards. =)

Manjuu said:
Kramy said:

Different chargers are known to recharge to different levels, too. Not significantly different - but it could be the difference between 2h 50m, and 3h 10m. ;)

At 240mhz...I get around 3h battery life, with sound. At 200mhz, it seems more like 3h ~20 mins. Turn sound off, and it goes up to ~3h 40 mins. At 120mhz...not absolutely certain, but I think it was about 4h. 50mhz...no idea.

But it also varies from game to game. Ex: Ghostpix lasted 5 hours one time, and PocketSNES lasted 2.5 hours another time. ;) But another time PocketSNES lasted 3.5 hours. Seems to vary from ROM to ROM, and having audio on means it'll become unstable and crash out sooner. Too bad the F200 audio is bloody loud and guzzles juice. :lol:

Back