Nova posted on Mar 6 2005 at 11:29 AM said:
Quiest posted on Mar 6 2005 at 12:59 AM said:
What I like about good action games:

Good soundtrack, one that rocks the house
I don`t like to high difficulty levels! :D

What I like about charge_man:

Yeah lacuna had the best soundtrac ever, something like that
It sure did!

Ever played Darius Gaiden on Mame? That`s the best shooter soundtrack I have ever heard!

Oh, and wtf is a faux tube?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an idea on how to make the explosions look tube like but only using 2D graphics and still having a 3D-ish effect.

faux = french for fake.

Hopefully, the explosions will give a sense of speed when the enemies die and the debris/effects go flying straight past you.

power-up system can be like in project-x (or ultra assault as a newer example) where you have categories of upgrades and with each power up it moves to the next category and you have the option to get the upgrade you want at desired category.

or it can advance like in rpg games (if you're planning an endless generating game than this might be more sensible)

also another interesting idea is cleverly implemented in the game "tumiki fighters" where parts that fall of from the enemies can be sticked to your ship. making you bigger (and i mean bigger)

and for game music you can pm topcat to see if he would be interested.

What I´d really like would be a Combo system, used for getting Points as well as weapon powerups. Also you really should check out Shooter´s Solitude and Warning Forever from Hikoza´n CHI (Check out his Page !!!) They are the best and most innovative freeware shooters i ever played and a real source of inspiration.

img_wf.png

Warning Forever

img_sst4.png

Shooter´s Solitude

Those screen shots look amazing! I will check that page right after writing this reply.

I'm still testing really basic things out, I've finally got control over angles they way I want.

I think the power up system will be something RPG-ish, but not in a way I've seen before. I don't want to say too much in case it changes before I make/release the game.

ThanX for everyone's help so far, this thread has given me a lot to think about.

BYEEEEE!!

PS: I'm using Fenix, so I'll only be able to use mod music, so if any forum members make mod music then I might get in touch, but I won't be able to use any music in any format.

I just played those two games, OH MY GOSH! They're amazing.

I blatantly don't have the skill to make a game of that quality, but you would not believe how many ideas for shooting games I had that have been put into use in those games.

For example I was considering having a special move system where you have to put in direction combos and I thought it had never been done before.

Anyway, I'm more inspired now, and somewhat belittled.

LA!

BYEEEEE!!

Yeah lacuna had the best soundtrac ever, something like that

no! Slyro the Radio-Active Cat had the best!!! :lol: god I love that game..

srry don't think that really helped the thread's topic too much ;)

Quiest posted on Mar 6 2005 at 02:55 PM said:
Ever played Darius Gaiden on Mame? That`s the best shooter soundtrack I have ever heard!

yeahhhh :) i second you on that!
I'm also a huge fan of Progear no Arashi which is next to Radiant Silvergun & Mushihime my Top 3 in shmups ;p
I love these kinds of shooters ;p
oh and R-Type LEO is damn great too (the best R-Type imo) :)

Tell you what, for all the people that have talked about music/soundtracks.

If you can find mod versions of any shooting game music, I will either include the songs you want (if you can provide links) or make an option so people can import their own music into the game.

devlkore posted on Mar 7 2005 at 09:13 PM said:
Tell you what, for all the people that have talked about music/soundtracks.

If you can find mod versions of any shooting game music, I will either include the songs you want (if you can provide links) or make an option so people can import their own music into the game.

WOW that's a great great idea :)
but I wonder if we can find some mod version of such 'recent' games ?? :unsure:

You find the music, I'll make the game :D

Only joking, I don't know where to find really good mod music, so anyone that helps wil either get the music they want included, or I'll make it so anyone can add music they want.

the option to include your own .MOD soundtrack would be good.

and (I fel as if i've stepped into this thread too late) the things I most like about a shoot-em-up are

a) the ability to power up my ship to epic proportions

B) the fact that the baddies get a lot tougher too.

coupled with:

c) I don't like to get knocked down to a pea-shooter if I die, because then it makes me die again, and again, and again... because i'm too weedy...

d) see c...

lots of variation in the baddies is what bolcataxian lacked most of all... it never really had a proper boss...

I also like going after a score... 8-figure hi-scores is what a top-quality player shopuld be getting,iwith lots of flashing screens and bonuses along the way...

edit: and don't make it too easy.

This may sound a silly question but, If you do include the option for us to select our own mods (which would be great), What format of mod`s do you hope/plan to support and how many channels ?. Also, How will this complement the sound fx ?. Eg, If you were to support standard 4 channel mod`s (bearing in mind the GP32 has only 4 channels itself), Would you dedicate one channel to sound fx thus over writing one of the music channels. Or would you just use any channel at random thus not blocking out too much of the background music ?.

Sorry, I`m thinking too much. ;)

Trooper

trooper posted on Mar 8 2005 at 04:55 AM said:
This may sound a silly question but, If you do include the option for us to select our own mods (which would be great), What format of mod`s do you hope/plan to support and how many channels ?. Also, How will this complement the sound fx ?. Eg, If you were to support standard 4 channel mod`s (bearing in mind the GP32 has only 4 channels itself), Would you dedicate one channel to sound fx thus over writing one of the music channels. Or would you just use any channel at random thus not blocking out too much of the background music ?.

Sorry, I`m thinking too much. ;)

Trooper

Hmm... I didn't realise it worked that way. I thought you could just play music and sound effects at the same time. I'm using Fenix remember, does that have this issue?

If Fenix has any control over how many channels get used for each thing, then I'll probably make it user definable or figure out some kind of work around.

No one needs to worry about having shitty guns after you die, I hate that too, most likely dying will only have a negative effect on some sort of combo/bonus multiplier (and obviously losing one life).

setting it in a ye olde fantasy setting,or maybe an arabian nights type setting would be a cool change from all the space shooters that exist...

The setting is gonna be techno/acid/retro/psycho/hardcore/etc, that's already set. I haven't started making graphics, but I can't draw and I want to use 8bit images, so I'm just gonna make pretty shapes and nice effects.

There is a simple shootemup on the Lynx called Gates of Zendocon, which is split up into lots of levels. The levels contain gates or 'wormholes' at various positions, so you can basically explore the whole world by diving into these gates. It gave you an incentive to keep playing the whole game so you explored the whole thing, especially as some of the levels were very different to others. There was even a easter egg level which had bouncing bitmaps of the coders faces...

Back