What are you playing this weekend/these days?

Playing Disco Elysium. It's amazing.

Edit: Finished it after about 45 hours.
Positive
Twists and turns throughout the story. Funny, sad, mysterious, thought-provoking and riveting - it's all there. Amazing characters. High quality writing and exceptional voice work. Only found 4 typos in the english texts I encountered. Some of the interesting world building is a bit hard to find, but all the more pleasing when you stumble over it.
Negative
I tripped over two minor UI and camera bugs, long walking ways for one certain location, and a not-so useful fast travel option, the use of which wasn't explained as far as I can tell. The quick tips on the loading screens might have been useful, but those were only visible for a split second. Another bummer was optimization - despite the relatively modest graphics my GPU was hustling hard.
All in all
10 out of 10 adventure/RPG.

In other news, my GPU fan decided to die shortly before the end. Luckily I had an old 1050ti lying around and was able to finish the game using that. Now ordering replacement fans from China to revive the rx570, which will go on eBay. I want a new card that is more efficient, and basically bored running at 1080p. The 1050ti is passively cooled and the silence is beautiful. Hoping something modern, over-powered will do the job.

Last edited:
i just discovered ittle dew, and it's bite-sized fun. they're on super sale right now:

ittle dew 1 is pretty standard link's awakening top down style gaming, but very heavily puzzle focused (super sokoban). it's pretty short (i think i got to the boss in about 3 hours) but still engaging.

ittle dew 2 gives a more 3d feel (even though it's still top down), since you can move freely and fire things in non-cardinal directions. this one has a bit more of a combat focus (with a dodge roll, too) but still lots of sokoban puzzles.

and the zelda parody is funny without being obnoxious. things that you just accept in the original games, but then realize are pretty silly.

Just finished Daymare 1998. It's a 3rd person zombie action-adventure, I guess the devs would call it a love letter to the modern Resident Evil titles. It's... alright. I got it for free, wouldn't feel too bad having spent a few bucks on it either. Just don't expect AA or AAA production values here. It's quite satisfactory to make the z's heads go splat with the shotgun oder hand cannons. You have limited inventory space, and in classic mode you have to reload your handgun magazines seperately via the inventory. When reloading the handgun itself you have two options: a quick reload discarding the mag on the ground, which you can pick up after the battle, or a rather slow one, where you tuck away the spent mag. That's an interesting, realistic take. It doesn't make much sense gameplay-wise I think. I found myself topping up the handgun very often via the inventory, so I'd always be at max capacity after killing two or three enemies. Quick reloads make you walk around and look for your spent mags, more tedium. I get where it comes from, it just doesn't do anything for the game, except getting a rush when you find your first spare magazine. Also you can't jog while reloading magazine-fed guns, while reloading the pump gun is fine while jogging. I would assume that in real life popping a handgun mag is easier than slotting individual shells in a tube magazine. I don't see the logic there, it's probably just to balance the weapons out.
The surroundings look quite good, the music and atmospheric sounds are well done. Except maybe that broken halogen light sound. That one made me mad. What I also didn't like were the occasional cheap jump scares, by either playing very loud sounds, or, more frequently, by placing a walker right behind a corner so it would jump you. One or two puzzles were obtuse, needed a walkthrough. Voice work is nothing to write home about. Facial animations are quite horrific, as in ugly. The German translation was lacking in a few places. An item description sent me in loops looking for a Schrank instead of an Abstellkammer, apparently both are closets in English.

Playtime was over 13 hrs for me, checking every nook and cranny, and getting lost a few times. Died four times, earned a B rank on normal difficulty. I guess you can finish this in eight hours.

I do hope though that this isn't their last game and that they will improve on this, taking in all the criticism they received.

Last edited:
Farming Simulator 22 (Steamdeck)
Whitouth the Realistic Mods (REA), but whit the "More Power" Mod, i found finally a solution for my Unimog Projekt, , im on the "New Miniprun" Map which should work whit small tools, (Machines)..
Was working quite good, allthough for the potato harvesting Missions, i had to buy a Full Harvester .. , the Unimog is for Transport, some field work (whit the More Power Mod), grass mowing, etc.., but as i played much to long on Saturday, i only played on this day..
the Steamdeck works good whit this 2600 mah 140 watt Powerbank, but its runs through it quite fast, so for long time playing, i think i would rather use the Emulators than the Games when you dont be on a Powersource..
I played on the Couch in my PC/TV Room, but there is no Wallplugg near so i could not use the Steamdeck Charger, ..

Kirby Superstar Ultra (DS, New 2DS XL)
Played this Tresour Cave Game,
and then the first round of the Formula Munch Game, but the remaining 2 Games ditnt became available, so i though first they where only Multiplayer so i took the Card out for

Super Mario 3D Land (New 2DS XL)
Really cool Mario Game, and the first 3D Titel in my Jump and Run Projekt, its not that easy whitouth the 3D Effekt, but still playable, and i think its also not that difficult at all, .. i played until the end of World 1, gathered most big coins, ..

Then someone said i have to play all Rounds in Kirby Formula Munch, so i will return to Kirby the next Gaming Round ..

Yesterday Evening, i screwed around a bit in DOSBOX on Pyra when i dit try to make a Video, but i ditnt found a good game in this time, so i think this was also played this weekend..

Kirby Superstar Ultra (DS, New 2DS XL)
On my first Savegame, i saw that i allready beatet King Dedede in Formula Munch and made the Metaknight Revenge and Trouble in Space available, so first i played the Revenge in this savegame.. , then i was told in an Nintendo Board that i have to tapp the DPAD Direction 2 times to let Kirby run ^^, this fixed my Project Savegame so i beatet there Metaknights Revenge and Trouble in Space, now i have 4 new Games, but i think they will get played another day (maybe tomorrow?)

EDIT: Deletet the Douple post, it automerged 2 times the same text..

Just finished Borderlands 3. It looks and controls great. The weapons are fun, as always.
But...
Many of the characters annoyed me. Most of all the main bad guys, who get a lot of screen time. Cringeworthy I think is the proper word. I remember laughing often while playing Boderlands 1 and 2. That didn't happen in this one. Either the writing became terrible, or my humour changed. Maybe both.
Often I found myself impatiently waiting for the blabbering to stop while wanting to go on the next mission, give to or take an item from an NPC, or hit a switch. Annoying.
About halfway through the main story I caught the old open world blues. There is so much walking and driving around necessary. Often side quests would make you retread your steps in regions already visited before. And just a few minutes from the start you encounter items you can't collect until much later in the game - once again urging you to revisit every nook and cranny. Annoying.
The base game is rather easy. I played as the Zane character. He gets a shield that makes you invulnerable to projectiles, which make up most of the damage. Extra speed combined with the fast firing hand cannons from the Jakobs manufacturer, none of the badass enemies or even bosses stood a chance. Went through half of the game with a lowly level 10 shield and, except for a handful of occasions, only died when I fell off a cliff.
In the end you are given a "gun gun" - a device that fires guns at the expense of a special currency. It has an alternative fire mode that just outright produces legendary weapons. Crazy stuff.
Got the season 1 DLCs, but, at least playing alone, have no incentive of going back. I guess everything is better in co-op.

Just finished Borderlands 3. It looks and controls great. The weapons are fun, as always.
But...
Many of the characters annoyed me. Most of all the main bad guys, who get a lot of screen time. Cringeworthy I think is the proper word. I remember laughing often while playing Boderlands 1 and 2. That didn't happen in this one. Either the writing became terrible, or my humour changed. Maybe both.
Often I found myself impatiently waiting for the blabbering to stop while wanting to go on the next mission, give to or take an item from an NPC, or hit a switch. Annoying.
About halfway through the main story I caught the old open world blues. There is so much walking and driving around necessary. Often side quests would make you retread your steps in regions already visited before. And just a few minutes from the start you encounter items you can't collect until much later in the game - once again urging you to revisit every nook and cranny. Annoying.
The base game is rather easy. I played as the Zane character. He gets a shield that makes you invulnerable to projectiles, which make up most of the damage. Extra speed combined with the fast firing hand cannons from the Jakobs manufacturer, none of the badass enemies or even bosses stood a chance. Went through half of the game with a lowly level 10 shield and, except for a handful of occasions, only died when I fell off a cliff.
In the end you are given a "gun gun" - a device that fires guns at the expense of a special currency. It has an alternative fire mode that just outright produces legendary weapons. Crazy stuff.
Got the season 1 DLCs, but, at least playing alone, have no incentive of going back. I guess everything is better in co-op.
Yeah pretty much my thoughts on it, I loved the controls, the quality of life improvements on the looting system and such. But yeah the Antagonist(s) were annoying in the main story line. There is a ton of gems though.
However after finishing it myself, I did play this for a while with three friends through the entirety of the game and DLC, when playing this with others you sort of tune out the story and focus on the battles, which get intense with the added people. Some of the DLC I thought was better than the main story line, but varied in quality, like different teams were producing each DLC.

tl;dr: Control: telekinetic gunslinger woman, power fantasy, action, mystery; recommended!

Just finished the main storyline of Control. I went into this blindly, did not know what to expect. Took it for a rather basic shooter in the first hours. But the combat clicked after unlocking more of the protagonist's powers. Dodging, firing your different guns and weaving jedi-like "force" attacks inbetween is quite fun. Since there is no leveling up, finding upgrades for your weapons and your character's abilites is an important part of the game. Those are hidden throughout the game world, or dropped by defeated enemies. You have to stay on your toes, constantly moving, shielding and killing, using the environment to your advantage - fights can get stressful quickly, and two or three hits from stronger enemies will end you. Upon death you respawn at the checkpoint you last activated - quite like a bonfire in the souls games. And like those they allow you to fast travel, and perform certain upgrades.
The story feels like a mix of x-files and lovecraft. Set in a fascinating, otherwordly building, it is told in beautifully animated and dubbed cutscenes, as well as dozens of collectible text and voice memos - even live action video! The characters are likable and weird, and have very expressive faces.
There are a few puzzles, but nothing too mind-bending. What did annoy me a bit is the not-so-useful map screen, looking at the signs around the building often was more helpful. But then again, looking at it from an immersion point of view, that's actually a good thing.
And there's secrets to find, what's not to love about that.
It has amazing lighting, particles and screen effects. The surroundings are very detailed. Apparently a bit too much so for my old SSD, as it would take some time for the better assets to load in. The "new" GPU though works really well, after a driver update that is, hitting twitch head shots left and right thanks to fluid high FPS. Gonna take a break and then return for the two DLCs. One of which is apparently connected to the Alan Wake game by the same studio.

Super Mario 3D Land (New 2DS XL)
I cant remember which worlds i finished on weekend, but i think 3 4 5 6,
its now becomes a bit more challenging but i think still more easy than the NES Parts..
Level Design is quite cool, 3D Diorama, its just a shame you cant use the extra shoulderbuttons to turn the Level around, and its got a bit more difficult whitouth the ability to change to 3D..

Just finished Syberia - The World Before

In which our heroine Kate Walker finds out about her past. You get to occasionally switch between her in the present of the year 2005, and other characters in the years 1937 and onwards. That look into the past sometimes informs how to progress with your puzzling in the present. The story revolves around Nazis, here given the - in my eyes laughable - name 'The Brown Shadow', and resistance fighters. You get to interact with a number of interesting puzzle box style mechanical devices.

The game looks stunning. The amount of detail put into all of the scenes wowed me, so many different models and textures! Light, shadow and reflections complete the mood. Kate's derriere looks great in those leather pants ;). The movement of the camera gives the game a [strike]cineastic[/strike] cinematic feel. Characters' facial animations are pretty - I love Kate when she's being mischievous.
In a few places the detail could have been higher though, e.g. when zoomed in on a puzzle the textures around the interactive area were low quality. Some animations of trees and other plants swaying in the wind did look unrealistic and random.

Navigating worked really well in this one compared to the previous title. There was only one intersection, at the cemetery location, where Kate had problems walking into the lane you directed her. That's using a mouse, I guess it would have worked better with a gamepad. I tried using the latter at first, but quickly got annoyed that the different actions used four different buttons. Using a mouse, one button does all via click-and-drag to select a verb, which is much more comfortable and smooth in my eyes. What's a bit weird though is how the cursor disappears when hovering over a point of interest. Made me miss quite a lot when clicking on stuff while moving about and having the camera follow.

What ground my gears throughout the game was how the English VO consequently butchered the word "Fräulein". It seems Americans deem the Umlaut dots mere decoration, pronouncing it "frowline" instead of "froyline". Considering how most of the texts are written in German and how often the word is said... uff.
Two or three lines out of a longer dialogue sounded like being spoken by a different actor, and recorded in a different studio. That was a bit jarring, maybe last minute changes. A few minor inconsistencies between voice lines and subtitles. I found a dozen or so spelling and grammar mistakes, as well as sentences completely mixed up on a piece of paper torn in half. At first assumed that was part of a puzzle, but nah, you later find out that it was just a mistake. Quite glaring, and easy to patch out. Dunno why so many games still contain errors like these, sometimes years after release. Doesn't anybody notice, or do people just not care?

My nitpicking aside, it's a very enjoyable experience. A touching story with interesting twists, sometimes grim, sometimes sprinkled with humour, and I'm looking forward to the next installment. Playtime was roughly 12 hours, that's including me being dense or getting lost in the aforementioned cemetery :).

Edit: Looks like the [strike] tag isn't interpreted anymore.

Last edited:
There was only one intersection, at the cemetery location, where Kate had problems walking into the lane you directed her. That's using a mouse, I guess it would have worked better with a gamepad. I tried using the latter at first, but quickly got annoyed that the different actions used four different buttons. Using a mouse, one button does all via click-and-drag to select a verb, which is much more comfortable and smooth in my eyes.

In the last years I forced myself playing different games using a gamepad, and the results were really different from game to game... the Warner Bros games like Batman Arkham or Middle Earth are pretty useable with the Gamepad, but lacks the precision and the camera control of a mouse, so most of the time I had to decide if rotating the camera or just keep running, because with a Gamepad you use the same finger for buttons and right analog, while with KB+M you can run AND rotate the camera... this in particular was required for the game "Journey to the Savage Planet", where in a specific fly section you have to keep pressing the "JUMP" button to maintain the JetPack active while rotating the camera to follow the turns of the map... with the gamepad I tried like 20 times and seemed impossible... then I used KB+M and finished easily the stage at the first try...

Now I'm playing "Subnautica", and I find almost impossible to use it with a Gamepad... the fishes are too fast both to grab or scan them, and there is no auto-aim...
Except for that, it is a really interesting game, especially for who likes underwater excursions.
It's basically a survival game where you have to find food and build your tools/base in an alien planet, but there's also the possibility to play without hunger/thirst and oxygen limits, for the ones who just wants to explore this really well made environment.

In the last years I forced myself playing different games using a gamepad, and the results were really different from game to game... the Warner Bros games like Batman Arkham or Middle Earth are pretty useable with the Gamepad, but lacks the precision and the camera control of a mouse, so most of the time I had to decide if rotating the camera or just keep running, because with a Gamepad you use the same finger for buttons and right analog, while with KB+M you can run AND rotate the camera... this in particular was required for the game "Journey to the Savage Planet", where in a specific fly section you have to keep pressing the "JUMP" button to maintain the JetPack active while rotating the camera to follow the turns of the map... with the gamepad I tried like 20 times and seemed impossible... then I used KB+M and finished easily the stage at the first try...

Now I'm playing "Subnautica", and I find almost impossible to use it with a Gamepad... the fishes are too fast both to grab or scan them, and there is no auto-aim...
Except for that, it is a really interesting game, especially for who likes underwater excursions.
It's basically a survival game where you have to find food and build your tools/base in an alien planet, but there's also the possibility to play without hunger/thirst and oxygen limits, for the ones who just wants to explore this really well made environment.
Back in the days when playing GTA4 on the PC I combined both, I used keyboard + mouse for walking and more precise shooting. The xbox controller was useful when controlling vehicles and flying, as the joysticks and triggers allow for more fine grained control. You can switch between them on the fly.

@PowerGod The Souls games' controls are also bad in that regard, sprinting and moving the camera at the same time requires you do the "claw grip", keeping your thumb on the right analogue and holding circle with your index finger, weird and uncomfortable.

Been eyeing Subnautica for a while, it's high up on my list even though I'm not a fan of survival games.

Back