What are you playing this weekend/these days?

I'm impressed, i am considering buying the game. I loved Duke3D back in the day

Just finished Train Valley + DLC (Linux native), now playing
Blood - Fresh Supply (remaster of Blood in KEX Engine) via WINE
and
Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (via WINE + DXVK)

Yesterday, i bought Borderlands 2 and Borderlands 3 on my XBOX ONEX,
I plan to first play BL2 at least whit one Charakter bevor i start Borderlands 3..

Plays pretty well so far on the XBOX, unlike the PSVITA Version, its Load Screens are quite short, and whit 4 Shoulderbuttons instead of 2, its a lot easyer to controll..
For this run, i decided to take the Soldier who can make a Turret, i hope it wasnt a bad decision, ..
On XBOX, you can start the Game whyle its download isnt full done, so it was at 40 %, the HD Patch and the German Speech wasnt there when i playd yesterday,
So i hope this is now done..

I played until Lionsberg, but not much more..

I'm currently replaying Seiken Dentetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2) on my Pandora. It's both better and worse than I remember. The pacing of the first half of the game is interesting but the combat is a bit repetitive and boring. It looks good, but while in the first game combat was mostly action-RPG with a "charging" mechanism, this is now closer to a real-time implementation of the turn-based RPGs. There's a cooldown between each attack and after some attacks you can do a special move. Spells block the action, which slows down combat a lot.

Surprisingly it's still pleasant enough to play but I'd like combat to be more interesting.

I'm currently replaying Seiken Dentetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2) on my Pandora. It's both better and worse than I remember. The pacing of the first half of the game is interesting but the combat is a bit repetitive and boring. It looks good, but while in the first game combat was mostly action-RPG with a "charging" mechanism, this is now closer to a real-time implementation of the turn-based RPGs. There's a cooldown between each attack and after some attacks you can do a special move. Spells block the action, which slows down combat a lot.

Surprisingly it's still pleasant enough to play but I'd like combat to be more interesting.
The combat in "Star Ocean" and "Tales of Phantasia" is way better and they are even less linear too, try them.

I've played Star Ocean some years ago, and replayed both recently, but couldn't finish them. I don't remember exactly why, but I think I got bored of the repetitive combat and the story wasn't interesting enough to keep me hooked.

I've played Star Ocean some years ago, and replayed both recently, but couldn't finish them. I don't remember exactly why, but I think I got bored of the repetitive combat and the story wasn't interesting enough to keep me hooked.
Yeah, well... JRPGs aren't exactly known for superb writing. ;)

Yeah, well... JRPGs aren't exactly known for superb writing. ;)

Took me years to finish FF7, because I was always bored... I still not understand why it was considered so great... I preferred FF3 (AKA 6) the most, well, it was really long too, but at least with major twists.

Took me years to finish FF7, because I was always bored... I still not understand why it was considered so great... I preferred FF3 (AKA 6) the most, well, it was really long too, but at least with major twists.

Yeah, when I played FF7 originally, I thought it was absolute garbage, and still do, but I will say the reboot looks interesting. I agree 110% on FF3/FF6, as that was Square at their zenith of game creation, and probably one of the finest RPG's ever made. To me, FF6 shows everything good about game creation, as they didn't have HUGE storage or the ability for full CD rich music, but what they did, with what they had, is just AMAZING!

Now, we look at FF7 and the complete opposite was done, as now they had more space than they knew what to do with, and just threw shit at the wall to see what stuck. I can still remember the moment I finished FF7, and I rushed to play FF2/FF4 again, as to wash the bad taste of FF7 from my palate. It is considered great not because it was, but it was probably the first big name RPG of the CD era, and for many new to gaming, it was their first go with a game like this. So for those who just stepped in to gaming, saw these HUGE set pieces and shiny graphics, and went oh and ah at what was shown. To me that is the base for this game, and why it is held up like it has, but for me, I thought it was terrible and haven't touched it since the first time(which was also my last time). LOL

Chris

I've never played FF7, but that was my impression (and I think that it applies to many PSX games). I didn't enjoy FF6 that much. The combat is boring and takes too much time. There are some great scenes and ideas, but they all drown in endless random battles, and are a bit too disjointed.

I've never played FF7, but that was my impression (and I think that it applies to many PSX games). I didn't enjoy FF6 that much. The combat is boring and takes too much time. There are some great scenes and ideas, but they all drown in endless random battles, and are a bit too disjointed.
If you dislike FF6, don't even try FF7, it's worse and more tedious in every way.

The endless random battles are an integral part of all the FF games, but they could be useful and somehow refreshing when you use different characters... for example, in FF6 there's a character that can COPY enemy abilities, so making him battle with as much enemies as possible makes him stronger.
Also in FF6 the combat system/abilities of the characters were really different from each others, there is also a character that needs "Street Fighter II" button combinations to deal proper damage, while in most of the other FF games, you can "give" the power/abilities you want to every character you want, so the only difference between them will be their personal story (that anyway is always a great part of those games).

Anyway bosses are always super long to beat in everyone of those games... mainly, especially the final one, that has always like 3 or 4 transformations and can one-hit kill at least one of your characters every turn.

Personally, the emulation of those games can make them less boring... you know, Fast Forward + Auto Fire, makes the random encounters a lot less boring, and leveling up a lot faster, and still it is not cheating, because you are actually still playing in the right way... just faster !!

Played a bit Borderlands 2 the other Day,
Im now Level 19, just killed Willhelm, the Killer Bot of Handsome Jack, wasnt that easy, i died lots of time..

Im now at OASIS, and try to play the Pirate DLC, its just Level 18 Content, so it should work..

Yesterday, i also found out how to run faster in the XBOX Version (Push Down the Left NUB), seems like i ditnt read the Tutorial Messenges about this Feature..
And i know from the VITA Version of the Game that you can run..

I think today evening, i will start whit Borderlands 3, i wantet first to end BL2, but this isnt possible..

Also Borderlands 3 seems to be diverent enought, that i can play booth Games, maybe today BL3, and tomorow BL2 or so..

Reactions: rSl
Trials of Mana. I am a bit annoyed by the difference in combat compared to Secret's. Not a fan of this "get four hits in, get one strong attack for free", but preferred just charging up my swings.
And the balancing feels off. Some enemies, like that throwing dart rascal, get strong nukes. Those don't seem to be on a timer, as I've seen'em do that twice in a row.
And chests in the old game didn't have the chance to hurt one char or even the whole party AFAIR.
And I'd rather be able to evade attacks than be using health items/magic all the time. But that's difficult since the actively controlled character walks so slowly when in combat. Also the strong nukes basically work like magic and always hit you. I should have a look at Sword of Mana on the GBA.
EdiT: Sword of Mana combat is a lot more fun, playing that now.
Edit: SoM is very easy, more cumbersome thatn challenging. Oh wel.

The CLUB season 2 is out!
http://theclub.zone
by crowscrowscrows - the minds behind The Stanley Parable, ACCOUNTING+ and DR. LANGESKOV, THE TIGER, AND THE TERRIBLY CURSED EMERALD: A WHIRLWIND HEIST

Last edited:
Back