What are you playing this weekend/these days?

ducktales on gameboy. almost beat it*,™ but i'm stuck at one point on the moon...

*: on easy ...

Another-World.jpg

Stuck here on my SNES version (via Retrode).
Spoiled myself looking for this image. :=/
Harder than I remembered.
Had more patience when teen maybe ...

Mostly Pokemon Red. No clue why. I got one of these games when the first came out (don't remember which, and again, don't know why). I never really got into it like some people, especially kids, did. I cheated a bit using my Game Genie to get some money and Master Pokeballs, and to collect the Pokemon that aren't in this version since it is the only one I have.

I would probably get more enjoyment out of it if I knew I might be able to battle someone else. Unfortunately the only other person I know of locally that plays Pokemon only plays the much newer ones, which I don't play/have.

Somewhat off-topic, but related to GB games, it seems that a lot has happened in recent years that I missed. Someone who I have interacted with a bit in the past has ramped up his hardware accessories, so I might eventually pick up his cart reader/flasher to back up my save files (my previous Pokemon save was corrupted when I pulled it out to play the other day) and make more use of my GB Camera, maybe even using it for video! There is also a kit and instructions for backlighting a Game Boy Color. I will wait to see more results before I give it a shot. I should really just get a backlit screen for my GBA. Plenty of fun case and button colors for the models that were previously neglected.

ducktales on gameboy. almost beat it*,™ but i'm stuck at one point on the moon...
That is one of the ones I keep nearby, but I rarely put a lot of time into it. I don't think I ever beat any of the Duck Tales games, but that was so long ago (and I spent so much time playing games back then) that I may have beat it several times.

I had a typo at the beginning of this, and came up with a game concept for Nintendo: Pokemin. It is like Pikmin, except the Pikmin are replaced with tiny Pokemon.

i did end up beating ducktales (and i do have pix to prove it, though i'm not sure anybody cares ;)). am currently doing a glitch playthrough of link's awakening... you can do a lot of things out of order, get the level 2 bracelet before you even get into level 2 (where you get the lvl 1 bracelet), etc... in fact, you might be able to go really far without the sword. you just have to deal with the really campy music.

Just finished icewind dale :trial of the luremaster... It's even worse than the main quest... Just started some ducktales remastered... It looks nice but it's way too easy compared to original...

Recently finished Spec Ops: The Line.
I was surprised to see that it kept the basic elements from the original Spec Ops: a third-person shooter with a squad of three characters and a big mechanical difference between each weapon which is at the center of the gameplay.

Of course, it adds what it's mostly known for: a meta-commentary on military shooters. I had heard about it, but tried to avoid spoilers and I have to admit that it's pretty effective. I was afraid it would feel too pretentious, but I think it was mostly ok. There's a bit of a paradox between the message and the gameplay, since the gameplay is clearly designed to still be "fun", despite how horrible the situations can be. Kane & Lynch 2 solved that problem by having gameplay be as messy as the rest, but then fell into the problem of being a game with a bad gameplay.

In any case, the atmosphere is really great: the slightly surreal vision of a sand-buried Dubai, the way the horrors of war are depicted, and the few subtle environmental messages (at least the ones I saw, I probably missed many of them)... and the way the message is delivered to the player with a combination of these atmospherical elements and the gameplay is rather well-done.

Survival Kids 2 (GBC) with the fan translation patch. i just played the original one, and when i googled for crafting recipes, i saw that there's a sequel XD so far it's fun, the days are longer, the island(s) look better than the one in the predecessor, but they still kept some annoying stuff (every time you cook one food item, the game closes all the menus, which makes cooking a ton of food a chore bc you have to open/select item/select "cook"/select "store" every single time -_-).

metroid two for the gameboy. started it, was a bit annoyed by the lack of a map, and didn't think i'd play much (in the future, samus should have a computer-assist map creation device!). anyway, it exercises the memory, and i've played a lot further than i thought i would!

Spelunky. I barely managed to beat 3 stages 1 at a time - took me 2 months. Now the task is to beat 3 stages in a row no dying + find a rare item and bring it to the end of stage 3. This level of brutality reminds me of the nes days.

Recently finished Spacechem. I now consider myself of superior intellect... (But I just need to take a look at the results of other players to be humbled.)

More seriously speaking it's a puzzle game that really forces you to put all your brain to work. Challenging but stimulating and rewarding. (And the music is great and can play many many times without getting boring, which is very important in a puzzle game).

The Zelda Solarus game from the repo. One of the earliest puzzles kicked my ass, and I had to seek guidance from the video walkthrough. :( After that everything seems to be going smoothly. It is a pretty fun fan game, and I recommend it, even to those purist snobs that don't play fan games. Too bad the one I live with won't give it a shot.

i did end up beating ducktales (and i do have pix to prove it, though i'm not sure anybody cares ;)). am currently doing a glitch playthrough of link's awakening... you can do a lot of things out of order, get the level 2 bracelet before you even get into level 2 (where you get the lvl 1 bracelet), etc... in fact, you might be able to go really far without the sword. you just have to deal with the really campy music.
I guess I haven't checked this thread in a while. I can almost never play all the way through LA without doing the select screen warp thing. It just sucks, because it can mess up the game and the story. I don't remember when it was widely shared, but I don't think I even made it through my first time playing it without abusing that, although I have gone through it a couple times only using it to help a little...maybe I should try to get a copy of the game that won't allow that.

Survival Kids 2 (GBC) with the fan translation patch. i just played the original one, and when i googled for crafting recipes, i saw that there's a sequel XD so far it's fun, the days are longer, the island(s) look better than the one in the predecessor, but they still kept some annoying stuff (every time you cook one food item, the game closes all the menus, which makes cooking a ton of food a chore bc you have to open/select item/select "cook"/select "store" every single time -_-).
I love those games. I didn't find out about them until after I got the DS ones and looked them up, only to find I missed them on GB. I should go try to finish whichever one I was playing last.

metroid two for the gameboy. started it, was a bit annoyed by the lack of a map, and didn't think i'd play much (in the future, samus should have a computer-assist map creation device!). anyway, it exercises the memory, and i've played a lot further than i thought i would!
This is probably still my favorite Metroid game because I spent so long with it in my formative years since I was able to play it anywhere. It is inferior to the others in some ways, but I love the while family (except maybe Other M, which I haven't finished and have mixed feelings about for some reason I don't understand).
[doublepost=1502131523,1502131360][/doublepost]
Recently finished Spacechem. I now consider myself of superior intellect... (But I just need to take a look at the results of other players to be humbled.)

More seriously speaking it's a puzzle game that really forces you to put all your brain to work. Challenging but stimulating and rewarding. (And the music is great and can play many many times without getting boring, which is very important in a puzzle game).
Either this or a related game looked really interesting to me, and I want to eventually try them out. I think I will buy Factorio first when I get back in the mood for these.

Metroid 2 could use the map yes, but otherwise it is one of my favorite metroid!

@rygD - I really enjoyed the first Metroid Prime on the GC, but couldn't get into the rest of the prime series. Other than briefly playing some of the GBA offerings, I've only really played Super Metroid as I never got the original NES version until well after already playing Super Metroid.

Last edited:
@TrashyMG, I don't know which I started with, either the first or second, as I played them both a lot back then. What really brought me back in was the DS and other Prime games, and I remembered how much I enjoyed the earlier ones. I don't remember when I got the GBA ones, but they were not a major part of my GBA experience. I think Super Metroid came relatively recently.

I think I figured out why Other M feels kinda off to me. Aside from it not having as much of what I consider a Metroid feel because the story gets in the way, what that story shows doesn't feel like Samus to me.

Oh, and in case anyone missed it, the next (proper) Metroid games will be a remake of Metroid 2 and a new Prime game. I already asked for both, and the new Samus amiibo as soon as I saw it. Not sure if I will need new hardware for the games (no Switch yet, and still rocking the Old Nintendo 3DS), so I might not get them right away.

I am still playing the Zelda Solarus game, and helping someone out with harder levels of Candy Crush Soda. I have been neglecting my Pokemon.

Back