What Are You Playing On Your Caanoo?

Tomlad

Still Fresh
Hi,

After wanting a GPH console since GP2X (I've been lurking on this forum for years) My wonderful wife supprised me with a Caanoo :D, I love it but just out of curiosity what are you all playing at the moment?

I have currently installed picodrive and am playing shining force (loved this as a kid)
also been playing snake on dope which is fun.

Heh, yeah ... you caught us while we are ALL probably playing...
Cave Story! :D

Oddly enough I'm not currently playing Cave Story.
Infact, I've just finished customising my 16GB SD card for a while.

I have a lot of Music, videos (three seasons of Robot Chicken and the entire Sam and Max cartoon), and games to get through.
(Some GINGE games, some emulators, and a few native caanoo homebrew).

I guess the last game I played was the arcade version of Bad Dudes.

Much, much better than the impossible NES version!

RetroVortex said:
Oddly enough I'm not currently playing Cave Story.

To be fair to all the other games, I suppose we've only been playing Cave Story for a day or two :p In the days prior I'd been playing my first ever run-through of Chrono Trigger on SNES. Better late than never, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been playing a lot of Cave Story. :)
I've also been playing Wind and Water, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Super Mario All Stars, Puzzle Bobble 2.

AJack said:
To be fair to all the other games, I suppose we've only been playing Cave Story for a day or two :p In the days prior I'd been playing my first ever run-through of Chrono Trigger on SNES. Better late than never, right?

I think we all played the last few days only games through Ginge. It's so beautiful to play those GP2X games on your caanoo. Big thanks to notaz.

The GP2X had some great software but I was always turned off by its analogue stick.
But the Caanoo? They got this right, so right.

Cave Story, and a bit of Star Control 2: The Ur Quan Masters.

Both thanks to Ginge of course. :)

Also, Faxanadu on GPFCE. That is one fantastic NES emulator. Faxanadu (and many others) were totally unplayable on nesgp2x, but in GPFCE it seems perfect!

Well, I've been enjoying Animatch, Pussion, Danger Quest: Monster Night, and Quake lately. I've also played King of Fighters, Golden Axe and Bubble Bobble on MAME, using my PSP as a second controller. I've also used it for music. The SNES emulation is great, but the emulator I'm using doesn't support the mouse for Mario Paint, so all I can do with mario paint is stare at the title screen and demos. I haven't gotten any good games working in Ginge.

If the Caanoo had a good Game Gear emulator, I'd be playing it more; I've been using my Game Gear more often, despite it having backlight issues, which I am trying to resolve by replacing ultra-bright LEDs, and installing more ultra-bright LEDs! Picodrive doesn't emulate Game Gear very well, the colour and sound are way off because of the differences in the Game Gear's pallette, and it doesn't emulate the Game Gear's start button, so I can't even run games past the title screen. I've been using Picodrive a bit for Genesis games, but some games, like Streets of Rage 2, Golden Axe, and Shinobi III, require double-tapping the d-pad, which isn't as easy on the Caanoo's joystick.

I'd love to play multiplayer Quake, but I can't get USB networking working. :(

@com64 doulbe tapping is a little easier when you lower the deadzone in picodrive controller settings. and joyrider ported a sms/gg emulator that has been in beta since september.

i always heard about how good cave story was but never got a chance to play it until now. this game is amazing and hard. currently trying to complete ys book 1 and 2 for the pc engine cd.

Com64 said:
Well, I've been enjoying Animatch, Pussion, Danger Quest: Monster Night, and Quake lately. I've also played King of Fighters, Golden Axe and Bubble Bobble on MAME, using my PSP as a second controller. I've also used it for music. The SNES emulation is great, but the emulator I'm using doesn't support the mouse for Mario Paint, so all I can do with mario paint is stare at the title screen and demos. I haven't gotten any good games working in Ginge.

If the Caanoo had a good Game Gear emulator, I'd be playing it more; I've been using my Game Gear more often, despite it having backlight issues, which I am trying to resolve by replacing ultra-bright LEDs, and installing more ultra-bright LEDs! Picodrive doesn't emulate Game Gear very well, the colour and sound are way off because of the differences in the Game Gear's pallette, and it doesn't emulate the Game Gear's start button, so I can't even run games past the title screen. I've been using Picodrive a bit for Genesis games, but some games, like Streets of Rage 2, Golden Axe, and Shinobi III, require double-tapping the d-pad, which isn't as easy on the Caanoo's joystick.

I'd love to play multiplayer Quake, but I can't get USB networking working. :(
Hey,
A good Ginge game is descent (d1x-rebirth) for GP2X (but it needs the original data-files to run). I'm at level 6 now.
I'm still trying to port the newest version to the caanoo (which can also handle the demo files), but got a strange error. :(

Why don't you use an wifi-stick? Haven't you got one or don't you have a Wlan router at home? I have one from hama working, but I see some other smaller sticks working somewhere at this board.

lenrlad

Megaman X via pocketsnes via Ginge.
With frameskip 2 and horizontal scaling it play very well.

Just finished Summmon Knight: Swordcraft story on gpsp. Fun short dungeon crawleresque game. The framerate in battles in the sequal drop by 20fps though so I have to play it on the psp :(

blues2 said:
@com64 doulbe tapping is a little easier when you lower the deadzone in picodrive controller settings. and joyrider ported a sms/gg emulator that has been in beta since september.

i always heard about how good cave story was but never got a chance to play it until now. this game is amazing and hard. currently trying to complete ys book 1 and 2 for the pc engine cd.
I should try that! I'm also just about to try drsms!

lenrlad said:
Hey,
A good Ginge game is descent (d1x-rebirth) for GP2X (but it needs the original data-files to run). I'm at level 6 now.
I'm still trying to port the newest version to the caanoo (which can also handle the demo files), but got a strange error. :(

Why don't you use an wifi-stick? Haven't you got one or don't you have a Wlan router at home? I have one from hama working, but I see some other smaller sticks working somewhere at this board.

lenrlad
I have a wifi-stick (not one the Caanoo comes with) but I've failed to get it working with the Caanoo. I've spent restless weeks on it. I've tried to set up USB networking with my Linux PC, but no luck. I might order one of those tiny Buffalo sticks, but I need to buy a Dreamcast first... long story.

I'll try out descent when I get the chance.

Been playing Fatal Fury on picodrive. (already beaten it as Terry)
(I actually bought a copy of it for my megadrive for £3 today but I was a bit too lazy to set up the ol' drive with my laptop (I have a special cable, and a easycap usb device, that allows me to use my laptop as a screen))

Much slower than future SNK fighters, but still a very fun, solid game.

EDIT: I've also been playing around with the pcsx4all.
I'm suprised at how well it works.
Tales of Destiny works right out of the box, Breath of Fire 4 works pretty well (though the sounds is bad), and I am very suprised that Parappa the Rapper is playable, (Though sometimes it can run too fast, or a little slow), as is Robo Pit 2.

Just got my Caanoo after ordering it at the beginning of the month (talk about a long shipping time), and I've been going through a bunch of the games for it on Openhandhelds.org - though I'd very much like to see what other places I could pick up Caanoo games and/or ports from.

I've currently got OpenTyrian on it, which runs VERY smoothly compared to the DS port of it I was messing with; Noiz2sa, though I'd love to see rRootage get ported over, too; Ganbare! Natsuki-san and Ura Kaiten Patissier, the latter of which I threw together a new icon and banner for since it was rather lacking there; aaand then both Sqrxz games.

And then I've got the Rhythmos demo currently downloading through FunGP's mildly aggravating Java downloader.

I wonder how much work it'd be to port Frogatto...

i think rRootage is ported to WIZ, and if it is, you can try running it via Ginge on Caanoo

Back