What are you going to do when you first get your Pyra

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by knightron, Sep 4, 2018.

1. ible

ible professional vim user

i may do an unboxing video. probably try to get syncthing up and running, apt install vim, that sort of thing. also, get my bash rcs working as intended...

2. bzar

bzar A Commando

Customize the software to match my desktop: i3, zsh, nvim, various commandline tools, dotfiles, firefox addons and such. I want them to be practically mirror images.

3. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Hardcore Member

This as well for me too!

4. Askarus

Askarus Hardcore Member

It is in the Debian ARM Repo and works.
    Also Syncthing GTK works without issues.
    I've used it on the Prototype.

ible and rygD like this.
  5. second exodous

second exodous Advanced Member

Just tonight I created an account through mozilla to sync my browsers because Febe wasn't supported anymore and I was doing a full wipe on my PC. It restored all my bookmarks, plugins, passwords, pretty much everything but open tabs. I guess I'm not using febe anymore. . .

I'm wondering if all my add-ons will work on the ARM version of firefox. I remember add-ons used to say windows only but I don't see that anymore so maybe add-ons work cross platform?

Yori likes this.
  6. jeeks

jeeks Very Active Member

watching youtube while bathing. setting up my laptop takes way too long, and my phone's screen has a crack in it which makes everyone look like they have weird scars :/

rygD likes this.
  7. Wally

Wally I am a banana! Staff Member

The steam from the bath would be enough to make things have rainbow streaks. Although I dunno if i'd want my Pyra near the bath! (Laptop yes though)

ClockworkCoder and rygD like this.
  8. matzesu

matzesu Hardcore Member

Im usaly listen to music every morning when im take a shower, i have a Waterproof JBL Bluetooth Speaker, but i let my Smartphone inside of my Pockets, but inside of the Bathroom,
    I think as long the Smartphone ditnt get wet, it isnt a big deal , but i wouldnd use my Elektronikdevices that arend waterproof in the Bath Tube..

Lot yeahrs ago, there where a pretty stormy weather when im in Summercamp whit the Boyscouts, and it rained in our Blacktend, cause it wasnt propper build, so my Phone (Sony Erikson K700i) and my Mp3 Player (an 24 gb Archos) got pretty wet but they worked also pretty good after this event,
    But i wouldnt take my Pyra in the Bathtube, at least not whitout a Waterproof Bag..

Its pretty tought to know, what whe want to do when whe get our Pyra, cause nobody knows yet, what Programms will work then, our what works at all,

Maybe its just the Hardware in the first few weeks, A Plastik Case, A Batterie, 3 Boards, a Screen and a Keyboard..

9. Yori

Yori Hi, how was your day?

I don't call often and when I do I usually use speakerphone, I mostly just text & use data.

10. fantomid

fantomid Very Active Member

Prepare exhibitions in France
    In Toulouse, we got every year the Toulouse Game Show (approx. 50K visitors, don't compare to Gamescom) and a FOSS event (Capitole du Libre)
    In Lyon, we got a new event around video games and a FOSS event too (JDLL)
    We could probably apply for events in Bordeaux and Montpellier if ED gives us the green lantern :p

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  11. jeeks

jeeks Very Active Member

i've never had baths hot enough to even have foggy mirrors (high humidity makes me nauseous) :$ and i'll definitely won't hold the pyra in my hands while bathing, it'll sit on a tiny table near the tub :D

Wally and Yori like this.
  12. kuru

kuru Laptop und Trachtenjanker

Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it
    Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it, snap it, work it, quick erase it
    Write it, cut it, paste it, save it, load it, check it, quick rewrite it
    Plug it, play it, burn it, rip it, drag it, drop it, zip - unzip it
    Lock it, fill it, call it, find it, view it, code it, jam, unlock it
    Surf it, scroll it, pause it, click it, cross it, crack it, switch, update it
    Name it, read it, tune it, print it, scan it, send it, fax, rename it
    Touch it, bring it, pay it, watch it, turn it, leave it, stop, format it

Haven't preordered but CNR. Original here.

13. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

I often used my Pandora to play games while spending a little time in the bath and listening to podcasts at the same time. The humidity would get high enough to make water drip off the condensation on the outside of the toilet cistern, especially if it was a humid day to start with. By the time I did that the LCD cable had already broken and been replaced in my Pandora, I'd stripped and replaced a couple of screws, and the case was starting to crack, so I wasn't too precious about it. I'm not sure I'll use my Pyra like that in the bath for a while after I get it.

14. Silent-Hunter

Put it in a ziplock bag, that should keep the humidity off, I'd expect?

rygD likes this.
  15. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

That'd work. Even better would be the type of bag with a seal but without the zipper which used to be more common. I wasn't that bothered for my old Pandora - it was only cold surfaces that attracted condensation, but it's worth considering if I use my Pyra there.

16. directive0

directive0 Very Active Member

Oh I thought of a new one:

Feel a profound and unbridled sense of emptiness as I realize the thing I've been waiting years for is finally here and I don't feel any more fulfilled or whole as a person.

And then play some Mario 64.

ClockworkCoder, Yori, ible and 2 others like this.
  17. FBnil

FBnil Ready to Champion the Pyra to the World...

Alperoot, Inqui, ible and 1 other person like this.
  18. Silent-Hunter

The ones without the zipper are still sold by Ziplock here. I wasn't sure what else to call it. Ziplock is a genericised trademark.

levi likes this.
  19. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor Member

On one I am going to install SBCL and start doing some Lisp hacking. On the other, probably leave XFCE installed and use it at work. Then if we like them, order a few more. Oh, also, I will be testing how it works with a bluetooth headset for making calls. The ergonomics shouldn't make it easy, but who knows.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 17, 2018, Original Post Date: Sep 17, 2018 ---
    Oh, the other thing that I will be using one of the devices for is as a remote controller for my media center. At first it will just do some basic control of media playback over ssh via a piece of software I wrote and later expand it a bit to include touch display capability. In trying various permutations of apps and various remotes with media center software (including a better version of one of these: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...bluetooth_keyboard-_-9SIA2N05ZP4701-_-Product), my conclusion is that i need a system with a display, full keyboard and unique controller options to really get something useful. The Pyra gamepad / keyboard interface is oriented towards games, but, I suspect it will actually work great as a media center controller.

We'll see. Can't wait to test.

I mean, there are just so many things that I can see doing with these. I may actually buy a few and have them in our service vehicles and as part of our toolkits. Once you are fully Linux based, the amount of stuff you can do with your own infrastructure is tremendous. Secure access to our file servers over the 3g/4g devices is just going to be tremendous for techs on devices that have 9 hour charge times.

This one I won't have time to attempt for quite a while, however, I would like to 3d print a custom case that is a sort of clamshell into which a webcam can be mounted statically and the lcd would be mounted with a clamshell like swingarm to mount under my rearview mirror in my car. The idea would be to have the camera + heads up media display in a clamshell design so I can fold the lcd out of the way when I don't need it, or bring it out when I do and then to use the based keyboard remotely over bluetooth or something via ssh to control the system as appropriate.

I also have a few of these ... ... and they are incredibly fun. Great fun, take em on trips everywhere. However, it has two things that make it difficult to use for extended periods of time: If you don't have custom printed keykaps, the keyboard is kind of difficult on the fingers even for those of us that have developed dexterity because of blackberry keyboards. The other thing it suffers from is the input is not game oriented and carrying a Logitech gamepad is a pain.

So, basically, the Pyra is the logical next step from Pokcet CHIP and I am looking to play with it. Clamshell case is a must. Keys must be easy on the fingers, and that seems to be the case. It must be a full keyboard, that seems to be there. And then it also needs the gaming inputs as well, because when I am traveling I have no interest in firing up a keyboard + mouse heavy game.

I better stop here. Too many ideas!
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 17, 2018 ---
    Okay I cannot stop.

You know what I will actually do first AFTER installing SBCL and my StumpWM window manager? I will actually install all my desktop software and whatever graphics, games, music and other software is available and use it all the time.

Do you know how often I open up my laptop? NEVER. Absolutely never. I hate opening up that bloody thing. Okay, this new HP laptop is a pleasure to use, but I only open it when I need to do real work and sit at a table and concentrate. It is the most god awful form factor ... neither a full desktop nor entirely portable really.

You know what I will do first with the Pyra? Have it next to me all the time and use it like my cel phone but only for everything. I use my cel all the time sitting everywhere, now I will be able to do almost everything my laptop can while sitting at home watching tv, flying, waiting to take a ferry, go on site and do some work for a client.

Okay, it is going to be hugely underpowered for some of the heavier work, but that work needs to be either done on a laptop or a desktop anyway.

Another idea that I had is I need a small device on the side of my desk that displays all of my email accounts and chat notifications. The Pyra will be perfect for that simply because of its form factor. Oh, and it may also be able to replace my dedicated Grandstream voip handset as I should be able to find a bluetooth handset and use the Pyra as a voip base station on my desk (think a bluetooth telephone set without base station sitting wirelessly on your desk ... man can't wait to kill my Grandstream piece of grabage).

I could go on.

NOTE: To anyone wondering, I am 100% Linux based, 100% open source. I am forced to use this *bleeping* blackberry because it has a keyboard and the Purism Librem 5 will not be out for a while yet. Once that is out, with the Pyra on hand, no more apps, no more garbage proprietary nonsense.

I'm free!
    See? When you get started you cannot stop. I was looking at the specs again and the Pyra has a build in mic. You know what this means? The Pyra can do speakerphone teleconferencing via voip client software sitting as a base station on my desk! I know, how exciting right? As a tech running a tech company, you don't know what it means to be able to kiss all these garbage vendors goodbye.

Think about that for a second. Jesus. That means, the Pyra base station could sit on my right as I am right handed. The bluetooth handset (battery powered) can sit on my left so I can answer with my left hand (as is normal for righties). AND ... I can pick up calls and put them on speaker phone because the Pyra has all the critical components built in.

Holy canoly.

I mean, of course, this is all theoretical right now. We need the devices, we have to sit them down and start trying them. There will be issues and glitches and most voip clients are not all that slick or easy to use as they assume they are being used on laptops or desktops. Maybe it won't even work. But, it "should" be possible.

This is really what ED was talking about in an earlier thread. Sure, he could have cut a few components, but the reality is that you need all of them in a device like this to really get the most out of it.

I may not be able to sleep tonight now that I have started this!
    Okay, I thought of one more idea. So you know how I described having the Pyra as a base station on my right displaying email + text messaging notifications and acting as a basestation for my bluetooth headset sitting on my left? And how we might be able to use it to put calls on the speakerphone?

So, the first thing you might be thinking about is how the hell do you answer or make calls easily. The kayboard isn't really designed for that (although, on second thought, the gamepad buttons would be perfect for answering, hanging up, speakerphone and bringing up a menu to transfer calls).

Well first, I can write a simple shell sript that ssh's in and starts up the call and I can just do somethinlg like this from the command line: call bob. It is simple to do this for outgoing and incoming calls with a bit of shell scripting.

In addition to that, don't forget, it is a full Linux desktop. That means, if a text or message is coming in I can also control the Pyra DIRECTLY with my desktop keyboard and mouse with Synergy (https://symless.com/synergy). Or, I can also use something like xrdp in a hidden window on my desktop, and bring up the pyra x interface directly on my desktop and do whatever I want.

The mind boggles at what can be done.

Yori, FBnil, Lambda and 3 others like this.
  20. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

Speakerphone usage might be a bit compromised, at least at first. I don't think anyone has developed noise cancellation software to knock loud speaker output out of the microphone. But, bluetooth headset should be a solid option. I suppose a person could make a push-to-talk speakerphone interface work. Mic is defaulted to mute, push and hold a button to deactivate the speakers and activate the mic. Something like that might make an OK work-around?

What will I do first with mine? I'm not sure. I could come up with a three page list of the things I would want to do in the first week to month with it, but exactly what the first thing would be? Not sure.

FBnil and levi like this.