What are SMCs for?

TMNT

Still Fresh
Hello, im planning on buying my GP32 with around 3-4 games and I want to know what SmartMedia cards are for? Why would I need them? Do I put downloadable games/emulators on them or wont they just save to the GP32? Also what do the sizes mean? And how many SMCs would you suggest that I would need? Thanks for any info! B)

Also Im thinking about getting a bundle package that has the GP32 w/ASR and I was wondering if theres a patch or something where you can d-load to play the game in English? Thanks..

Also, one more question :rolleyes: Whats the need for a CardReader 5 in 1? Thanks again!

The games you purchase will come on SMC's. You'll use them just to play the games and that it.

You'll probably want to pick up a 128 MB SMC (the highest capacity that the GP32 can read) to store everything else. By everything else I mean MP3's, downloaded games, emulators, roms, images, texts, ports, etc...

You can write all that junk to your SMC through the GP32, but I have found it to be VERY slow. At least 45 minutes for 128 megs of MP3's. I went out and picked up a $14 USD SMC card-reader and now it only takes about 6 minutes! Very easy to dump a bunch of songs on in the morning while you're in the shower or something and it also doesn't use up the GP32's batteries. Also, you can make windows "Send-to" shortcuts to the different directories and just move stuff over that way. Very handy.

I have not heard of a patch for ASR though and it is very text-heavy, obviously, being that it's an RPG.

Hope that helps.

Yes, that was helpful :)

What brand SMCs are the best? Also can I find a SMC card reader at most retail stores (Wal-Mart, Bestbuy, etc)? Thanks

You can get 128MB SMC cards at Best Buy for ~$40USD, card readers too. Wal-Mart carries them also.

I have a digital camera that use smc, its really fast i could use that to trnsfer files.

Back