Smcs Are So Fragile

Alex.

Retired
After more than a month of having my GP32, I aquired quite the collection of titles. I have (2) 128MB and (1) 16MB SMCs.

I put Genesis, SMS, NES, SNES, PCE, C64, Colecovision, and ZXSpectrum emulators on one of the 128MB. On the other I put GPDoom, GPQuake, YetiPro, and Beats of Rage (w/ Asterix pak). That leaves the 16MB SMC with some misc. homebrew and my own Fenix tests, basically a card to fool around with.

But having switched SMCs in my GP this evening I noticed how very fragile they are. They come off difficult from the GP32's slot, and I think that one time they're just gonna snap into pieces.

Also, I noticed that gray scratches appear on the circle at the bottom-right side of the SMCs (besides where it says "ID | 128MB". Does that affect the SMC in any way?

I wish the GP32 had some more solid storage media like CF or SD cards :(

Yes, they are flimsy

Thankfully the GP2X uses SD cards.

Edit: Don't worry about the scratches ... Mine look like they've been through a cheese grater and they still work :)

TelcoLou posted on Oct 21 2005 at 06:34 PM said:
Yes, they are flimsy

Edit: Don't worry about the scratches ... Mine look like they've been through a cheese grater and they still work :)
hysterical.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
woogal posted on Oct 21 2005 at 11:35 PM said:
I've snapped the top off both of mine. Still work fine but a bit tricky to remove now.
I think some SMCs are thinner than others. I had a few which started to crack at the edge from continually pulling them out of the GP32. I superglued a strip of old credit card to the edge to strengthen it - makes it easier to remove the SMC, and if you use different colours, acts as an i.d. as well.

reeced posted on Oct 22 2005 at 04:06 PM said:
I superglued a strip of old credit card to the edge to strengthen it - makes it easier to remove the SMC, and if you use different colours, acts as an i.d. as well.
Nice tip Reeced, I think I'll do just that :)

PSyMastR posted on Oct 22 2005 at 12:24 AM said:
TelcoLou posted on Oct 21 2005 at 06:34 PM said:
Yes, they are flimsy

hysterical.gif

wtf how'd you get that emoticon to work on this site?

that's a must have. Can we make that one official?? B)

Why do people have such trouble removing the SMCs? It's simple.

1. Put the GP face down in your one hand.
2. With the other press against the exposed part of the SMC.
3. Pull your hand away from the GP (while pressing on the SMC).

Sorry if you already knew this, but some people really don't. :blink:

wtf how'd you get that emoticon to work on this site?
[/quote]
Erm, it is, like all animated emoticons, a gif picture, which can, using the "IMG" button, be posted.

Back