Save States

Shirohagen

Brutal Deluxe
Website
richardho.lt
Hi

Just thoght I'd post on here about the save states feature which is now a part of most of my favourite emulators. The problem is, they rarely seem to work.

I eagerly awaited save states in emulators such as Frodo, DrMD, CaSTaway etc but every time it seems to save something, and it may even be present later in that same session, but guaranteed if I come back to the GP32 after a day or so, the save state will be missing. I have tried it with a couple of my SMCs, but to no avail. It's really annoying not being able to use them as I now don't really trust them at all, but equally, they must actually work or the developers would have noticed!

What could be going wrong for me? Has anyone else had trouble with save states?

®

I never had any problems with DrMD savestates. And Little John savestates are working fine for me, too. Oh and OSnes9X savestates, too.

The only ones I have problems with are rlyes emus (fgb32, etc.)

Quiest posted on Feb 13 2005 at 01:47 PM said:
I never had any problems with DrMD savestates. And Little John savestates are working fine for me, too. Oh and OSnes9X savestates, too.

The only ones I have problems with are rlyes emus (fgb32, etc.)
yes, everything is fine for me, exept for rlyes emus

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here, Except for Fgb32, olaying pokemon and then my save gamw will just disappeared randomly

no, frodo savestates are messed up after a time. even if you load a savestate in frodo and save again, the name of the savestate is just "c64". and often corrupt after a restart.

but all other saves seem ok to me, too (except the f-series known bug, also it isn't a real bug).

Hmm...

Maybe my trusty SMCs are wearing abit thin, I might have to invest in some fresh ones. I think a few people were having problems with Frodo a while back though, so I think there might be something to it. Do all the save state functions in various emulators share code? If so, perhaps there is a root to the problem I seem to be having. I'll let you guys know how it behaves with a new SMC.

®

skeezix posted on Feb 13 2005 at 04:52 PM said:
CaSTaway savestates have alays been crazy stable AFAIK.. never had a problem ;)

jeff

i'll go along with that :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I found with frodo that you need to load the game, then the savestate - and sometimes it'll still take a couple of loads (as you said seems corrupt)

there's no 'correct' way for me

FRODO has NEVER worked properly for me, and it's a mighty shame, I've tried so much to try and get it working but I gave up and just don't use them......

If this gets sorted I won't ask for much more on my GP32 :eek:

However, I think DrMD saves are very reliable and especially since the cpu is clocked down when you go in the menu so that if you have low battery power it will not cut out in the middle of the save - Skeezix, I recommend you implement a similar system into CaSTaway it really does work..

.... up frodo, up frodo ....

Back