Well, That Was Fun While It Lasted

jerschwab

Still Fresh
I bought my GP2X in the few few months that I heard about it. Had fun playing with all the emulators and little programs.

I went to my car (parked in my parkade yesterday), where I just happened to have my GP2X in there... and everything was gone.

Somebody pried the window open and broke in. They stole my GP2X, In dash DVD player with LCD screen... Oakleys, Leather Day Timer, etc etc.

I really like the GP2X, but not sure when or if I can afford one anytime soon. Insurance doesn't cover anything that's not physically attached, and my deductible is about $500. I have receipts for about $500 or $600.

Thanks for the all the great posts and information in this forum! If you see someone selling a little games player and they don't know what it is... kick his ass!

Aww man that sucks! :(

I've had my car broken into also, didn't have anything valuable in it though, so they just took my registration sticker lol. Broke my driver side window in the process though.

Sorry to hear about your GP2X and other possessions, people can be assh*les sometimes

unlucky man.

my car was done a couple of months ago, they got my amp + head unit....worst thing was that they bent the top of the door away from the car to get in!

needed a whole new door.

bad news about the gp2x. keep an eye on ebay and the buy/sell forums for a replacement.

well if in my ebay searches i see any ebay auctions labeled shitty psp then ill make sure to notify you.

jerschwab posted on Mar 29 2007 at 06:55 AM said:
I bought my GP2X in the few few months that I heard about it. Had fun playing with all the emulators and little programs.

I went to my car (parked in my parkade yesterday), where I just happened to have my GP2X in there... and everything was gone.

Somebody pried the window open and broke in. They stole my GP2X, In dash DVD player with LCD screen... Oakleys, Leather Day Timer, etc etc.

I really like the GP2X, but not sure when or if I can afford one anytime soon. Insurance doesn't cover anything that's not physically attached, and my deductible is about $500. I have receipts for about $500 or $600.

Thanks for the all the great posts and information in this forum! If you see someone selling a little games player and they don't know what it is... kick his ass!
Take comfort in the fact that if he is stupid enough to steal stuff he is probably too stupid to use the GP2X :).

That sucks big-time. Can we password a GP2X to prevent theives from using it? That would at least screw them, and when they tried to sell it it wouldn't be worth much, and you could put a custom password screen that is easily identified, so if they sell it on eBay you will know it is yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie posted on Mar 29 2007 at 07:46 PM said:
That sucks big-time. Can we password a GP2X to prevent theives from using it? That would at least screw them, and when they tried to sell it it wouldn't be worth much, and you could put a custom password screen that is easily identified, so if they sell it on eBay you will know it is yours.
That would rock :eek: A feature for open2x maybe :p

sam fisher posted on Mar 29 2007 at 03:44 PM said:

Better yet, have it phone home when its connected via USB.

Somehting similar happened where a dudes laptop was stolen, but it was part of the SETI project. Eventually the mchine was used and it automatically called into SETI. Someone in SETI tracked it down and they were able to determine where it was calling from and thus caught the thief.

Pickle posted on Mar 29 2007 at 08:59 PM said:

Somehting similar happened where a dudes laptop was stolen, but it was part of the SETI project. Eventually the mchine was used and it automatically called into SETI. Someone in SETI tracked it down and they were able to determine where it was calling from and thus caught the thief.

I so hope that's a true story...

lubidog posted on Mar 29 2007 at 09:06 PM said:

Smells like an urban legend to me ;)

Insurance doesn't cover anything that's not physically attached...

Next time use duct tape.

That SETI story reeks of 1980's "hacker" movie.

Blah posted on Mar 29 2007 at 04:40 PM said:
Insurance doesn't cover anything that's not physically attached...

Next time use duct tape.

That SETI story reeks of 1980's "hacker" movie.
I think I heard something about it a while ago, or at least saw the title scimming digg during advance html class, stupid dreamweaver bores me

lubidog posted on Mar 29 2007 at 08:06 PM said:

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=36985
?

Commiserations, jerschwab.

That sounds true, but I don't think SETI are legall allowed to do that :p Plus I bet they just supplied the IP it was connected on too the police.

sam fisher posted on Mar 29 2007 at 11:05 PM said:

That sounds true, but I don't think SETI are legall allowed to do that :p Plus I bet they just supplied the IP it was connected on too the police.

Get some education, boy!

Commiserations dude. Sucks to have something nicked... especially something like our GP2Xs!
I had my Timex datalink watch stolen from my wrist once... it was the same sort of thing... they'd never have known how to use it... bastards.

gah. I really dont mean to be an ass, so don't take this the wrong way, but why were all those expensive things in plain sight? Surely if you had them hidden no one would break in.

Regardless, I'm so sorry for your loss. I think I speak for the majority here when I say that I hope you invest in another one and come back!

god, why do people steal from other people? Steal from the fucking supermarket, they got money. bastards. It sucks so much when you know that they can't even use what they stole. I once ordered a snes copier and the fucking dhl idiots didn't deliver it to me but instead that sob of a delivery driver just signed for himself and dropped it off in our corridor of our house. it was stolen the day it arrived. I was so ticked off because I just know that the junkies who stole it didn't even know what it was and probably just dumped it in the trash...

nubie posted on Mar 29 2007 at 10:46 AM said:

Take comfort in the fact that if he is stupid enough to steal stuff he is probably too stupid to use the GP2X :).

Wow, this post put a huge smile on my face. How about a box that comes up and says "Enter the word "i am an idiot" to continue". Then when they do, it bricks the unit. LOL

Otherwise, you have a custom password that takes you to the menu. It would be my dream if I had that on there. =)

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 29 2007 at 02:37 PM said:
gah. I really dont mean to be an ass, so don't take this the wrong way, but why were all those expensive things in plain sight? Surely if you had them hidden no one would break in.

Regardless, I'm so sorry for your loss. I think I speak for the majority here when I say that I hope you invest in another one and come back!

I hear ya, and my girlfriend already gave me the "I told you so" while thinking she was consoling me.

The GP2X wasn't in plain sight. I had it between the seats, only for 2 days (meanwhile parking in the supposedly secure gated underground lot). I was testing the GP2X on my LCD screen and playing games in the car. Too fun.

Next time I'll be more careful... but I will probably get an alarm and an LCD that is part of the deck. I may do a Linux based carputer... but it all depends on if I get insurance money or not. I may net $300 after the deductible. Not much. On a side note, if you want a car DVD player... get the JVC KD-DV6200 (or 6270). I had so much fun with that thing. I may just buy another one. Plays DivX, DVD's with MP3's, VCD, and more.

I do want another GP2X... maybe before summer. I still do have some accessories.

Back