A Sad Week For Me!

Unlucky mate, it really sucks when you get pilfered. I had my pc stolen about 4 years ago and i remember how i felt back then. Luckily it was Win2k Admin p/worded and so was the bios. I doubt most 'thieves' would know how to reset the m/board jumper setting.

Try not to think of it as a human stealing it. It could have been a thieving magpie that swooped it out your pocket when you went to the bar.

Oh and download a copy of 'always look on the bright side of life' from monty python :)

Cervante posted on Oct 10 2006 at 05:18 PM said:
Kinda dumb, but a while ago I requested a password logon protection screen upon boot for the GP2X. But I was told it was impossible.

It wouldn't be too hard to add a logon screen application that was run as an autorun file off NAND. It wouldn't be impossible to get round (e.g. if telnet's on, just log in and delete the file) but it would protect your GP2X against the average PSP user.

Last edited by a moderator:
that would be a good idea. change the background menu image to say:

"THIS BELONGS TO XXX. IF FOUND PLEASE EMAIL XXX"

they wont eb able to sell it like that =)

Cervante posted on Oct 10 2006 at 11:18 AM said:
Kinda dumb, but a while ago I requested a password logon protection screen upon boot for the GP2X. But I was told it was impossible.

Theoretically, someone could make an autorun.gpe that locks out the menu until you enter a password or a certain string of button presses.

The question is will someone do this, and who?

I suppose you could do that, and put it on the nand...
The only way around it would be to USB connect it to a PC (mini USB,SAMBA etc)

It wouldn't be that difficult to knock something together, but it certainly wouldn't be secure.

Although I've just remembered as I was typing the above, that you can in fact bypass the autorun feature too... (Start & select)

It might be a viable solution if you just want to keep someone that isn't so clued up on things out...

To hurt a thief in the inside, maybe even enough to make him return it, and make him rethink his wrongful actions each time he turns it on, just make your bootscreen say:

"God is watching you."

JaqMs posted on Oct 10 2006 at 06:25 PM said:
To hurt a thief in the inside, maybe even enough to make him return it, and make him rethink his wrongful actions each time he turns it on, just make your bootscreen say:

"God is watching you."

Thieves have no morality, so what makes you think they've got spirituality?

Yahoo Telco's back!

On a more sober point, no, we don't have no spirituality, either.

- Alex

JaqMs posted on Oct 10 2006 at 06:25 PM said:

"God is watching you."

That's until they reach the "Romz" or "Moviez" directory. And then the guilt magically disappears.

Honestly, what kind of religious nut would put that on his bootscreen?

It wouldn't be impossible to add a password protection capability to U-Boot, but the two problems I can see with it is people might brick their units by attempting the upgrade (or forgetting their password), and that it could still be gotten around by using JTAG.

A potential fix for the forgotten password issue could be an auto unlock after being powered on for 48 hours or something ridiculous that nobody would think to wait unless they knew it would unlock.

Er... Soz 4 jumpin in on da thread an all!

But i gotta a GP2x here, wid a big memory card. Any offers PM me!

Location, canada. Will swap for drugs.

Be quick.

yeah does it happen to have a 2g elite pro sd card and a weird looking joystick cap?

=P

funny boyz!

as for the security thingy.... I think you could turn off telnet by default, and have your autorun only activate it after the password has been entered...

but the start+select thing still is a problem

BUT if I remember well, that loads up the firmware in the root of the SD no? You could put a weird firmware that bricks your GP2x =P just kidding, but if someone really wanted, I guess they could do a security firmware that actually makes the device unusable unless you enter the password? who knows!

I izda Boi inda Hood! posted on Oct 12 2006 at 06:44 PM said:

Be quick.

Your combination of using gangsta speak with proper punctuation is hallucinating.

I izda Boi inda Hood! posted on Oct 12 2006 at 12:44 PM said:

Be quick.
I have a few dime bags left of good quality dro, PM me if yo're interested in a trade.

Draken posted on Oct 12 2006 at 05:57 PM said:
I izda Boi inda Hood! posted on Oct 12 2006 at 06:44 PM said:

Be quick.

Your combination of using gangsta speak with proper punctuation is hallucinating.

That's told the scamp!

Back