Well, I Opened Up My Gp2x

T

TelcoLou

Well, I had noticed while playing some games in Stella a slight deform to the LCD while pushing the joystick to the right.

Taking the advice of others, I decided to try and remove one of the rubber 'spacers' under the LCD. I figured I needed to anyway, since the several specs of dust under the screen protector were driving me (even more) insane :lol:

With my trusty mini-screwdriver and can 'O air I went to it. Got rid of the offending top rubber square and all the dusties ... heck, I even bent the LEDs up slightly, so they sit nicer, then re-assembled the unit (which was an exercise in extreme nervousness ... it's always harder to re-assemble then to destroy :) )

I'm very satisfied ... no more distortion, no more specks of dust, but I did screw up a bit; While blowing the crap out, I must have leaked some liquid into the blast of air and got a small haze-like spot on the screen cover. It's only noticeable when the power is off, but I'm concerned ... will this eventually dissappear, or am I doomed to look at my screw-up??

Well, I had noticed while playing some games in Stella a slight deform to the LCD while pushing the joystick to the right.

Taking the advice of others, I decided to try and remove one of the rubber 'spacers' under the LCD. I figured I needed to anyway, since the several specs of dust under the screen protector were driving me (even more) insane :lol:

With my trusty mini-screwdriver and can 'O air I went to it. Got rid of the offending top rubber square and all the dusties ... heck, I even bent the LEDs up slightly, so they sit nicer, then re-assembled the unit (which was an exercise in extreme nervousness ... it's always harder to re-assemble then to destroy :) )

I'm very satisfied ... no more distortion, no more specks of dust, but I did screw up a bit; While blowing the crap out, I must have leaked some liquid into the blast of air and got a small haze-like spot on the screen cover. It's only noticeable when the power is off, but I'm concerned ... will this eventually dissappear, or am I doomed to look at my screw-up??

You are doomed. Sometimes those cans spit liquid for some reason. I don't use them anymore for that reason. I just get a new artist's small horse hair brush to pick up dust bits.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:

Well, so be it ... the LCD itself was stubborn about coming out of its frame totally, so I just tilted it as far as it would go, aimed the tube and blasted away ...

It was worth it though, those friggin' dusties were killing me!!

Good to hear you got it back together OK. I took mine apart today, and the batteries decided to go flat (yes, my batteries are sentient :p ) just as I put it back together. I spent a few too many minutes convinced that I'd broken something!

Well, so be it ... the LCD itself was stubborn about coming out of its frame totally, so I just tilted it as far as it would go, aimed the tube and blasted away ...

How is the LCD mounted in the frame? Is it just laying in there or is it sealed with foam tape or held in with screws something? Is there a path for dust to get in from behind?

How is the LCD mounted in the frame? Is it just laying in there or is it sealed with foam tape or held in with screws something? Is there a path for dust to get in from behind?

It kind of sits in a frame, no foam tape, but the fit is very precise and snug .. I feared I would break it if I forced it out ... :ph34r:

I was very careful when I first got it and I'm certain there was no dust when I installed the screen cover ... they kind of migrated there over time.

To stop the random liquid spray make sure you keep shaking the can, although the liquid ice is really good fun and i've used up a can just messing about freezing things.

The mark left by the liquid from the can o' air will come off. It's kinda like a waterspot. Get a alcohol pad used for cleaning LCD laptop monitors and wipe the affected area and then dry it with short bursts from the air can.

Same sort of thing happened when I was changing out gauge faces on my car instrument panel and I was using the can o' air to make sure dust wasn't present when reassembling everything. The technique above solved the problem of the 'remnant'.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice folks, but I opened it up once ... I'm never going to do that again :ph34r:

... with my lack of dexterity, I'd wind up breaking something for sure ;)

It's not that big a deal, since I only see it when the LCD is off .... I'm just ecstatic that I have no more dust and the LCD distortion is gone :)

Edit: I may pry up the screen cover and replace it ... eventually ... maybe a glass mod or something since it's easy to just pop on a new cover.

Edit²: As for the dust creeping in ... it didn't come from the speaker openings ... the speakers are actualy sealed with a ring of foam tape (which added to my frustration tring to re-assemble it :lol:)

My first GP2X got an annoying speck under the screen protector when I installed it. The second time around I used a constant air stream while applying the protector, and voila! no dust :)

Though - BOTH F*ING TIMES that little piece of tape in the corner of the LCD screen film popped off the film when I needed to remove it. :angry: That pissed me off to no end.

I had to use an exacto in both cases to really carefully lift that exactly sized film off.

Back